LW Isn't The Killer Division It Once Was ( Khabib And Conor are Both Over - Rated )

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MRDOG, Aug 13, 2018.

1. MRDOG

MRDOG Brown Belt

You read the title right.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

The LW division is so weak that :
    - Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
    - Tony Ferguson who has fought about twice in three years is ranked 2nd.
    - Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
    - Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Folks .... the UFC LW division isn't what it once was.

2. Ralphie dos Nachos

Ralphie dos Nachos Banned Banned

I agree. The Motown Phenom will make that bum division great again

[​IMG]

#GOAT

3. Espresso

Espresso ...with Yellow Crema Yellow Card

Yet fighters are killing themselves to cut to 145

Diunx, TheVenom, p4pgoat and 6 others like this.
  4. Sansnom

Sansnom Gold Belt

UFC is dying.

5. danny23

danny23 Black Belt

It's better than ever in terms of top talent, but handled horribly.

6. Ralphie dos Nachos

Ralphie dos Nachos Banned Banned

That's like every division except HW

155ers are killing themselves to make 170 as well lol

deman and VitorReem like this.
  7. Medulla Omoplata

Medulla Omoplata Mayberry Comptroller

The title picture and rankings are a mess, but it's as talented as it ever has been. I don't know what era TS is comparing it to but half the top ten is the same as it was 4 years ago.

8. MRDOG

MRDOG Brown Belt

Fighters like to have a size advantage. There are fighters killing themselves to make weight in every division but besides that the 145 lb top fighters are aging. Aldo and Edgar are amazing fighters that are on the tail end of their careers and the champion of the division is sick. The division is wide open for any top fighter to capture. Moving down to 145 lbs if you can is a smart move.

Nope ....

I disagree ....

There was a time when the LW division had ..

Frankie Edgar / Maynard / Gilbert Melendaz / B.J. Penn / Eddie Alvarez / Ben Henderson / Micheal Chandler / Anthony Pettis and others in their prime or near it.

90 50 likes this.
  9. Thug Rose

Thug Rose Green Belt

1) the ufc rankings are a meaningless marketing tool
    2) true rankings are supposed to be based on quality, not activity or win streaks. you can lose 9 fights and win 1 and still be in the top 10.

10. hombreacabado

hombreacabado White Belt

still my all time favorite division in terms of movement knockout power and overall fun matches.

FlippyHambone and Iron Wolf like this.
  11. moreorless87

moreorless87 Disarming Posting

Its moreso I'd say that the rankings situation is quite messed up, their is actually a good degree of talent in the top 10 though.

12. VVarhead

VVarhead Bullet Belt

Ferguson beats both anyway

13. Verace

Verace Silver Belt

Compared to when ts?

The exact same guys are all there

MMAart and SOAzmayesh like this.
  14. Leone510

Leone510 Purple Belt

How many more million times is this going to be said I mean hold on that horse is still breathing hit it.

SOAzmayesh likes this.
  15. MRDOG

MRDOG Brown Belt

Wrong on both ...

1. Rankings help the fighters in many ways. For example .... it will always be brought up that Aldo was the #1 FW in the world for almost 10 years.

2. When you say lose 9 fights do you mean in a row ? Do you mean a fighter could win 1 of his latest 10 fights and still be ranked in the top 10 ? If so then that is just an obsurd thing to say.

90 50 and Which Doctor like this.
  16. Roljo

Roljo Black Belt

The rankings don't mean much, it's just a tool the UFC manipulates to promote fights.

You have tons of talent, beasts like Taisumov or Makachev aren't even ranked... then you have really good guys like Felder, Duffy, Gillespie that aren't ranked either, overall the division is stacked.

17. jdfearl

jdfearl Purple Belt

I hope so

18. Hoop

Hoop Black Belt

Talk about throwing the Cat among Pigeons.

<{danawhoah}>

19. Thug Rose

Thug Rose Green Belt

1) i never said that the ufc rankings dont affect fighters, i just explained how someone can be ranked #1 without fighting for years and without having quality wins but that doesnt have any implications on the quality of the division because that fighter is actually worse than his "official" ranking suggests.

2) if someone is the 10th best fighter in his division, that means he would lose to the 9 above him but he would be able to beat the 11th best. i dont see whats so hard to understand about that concept.

20. MRDOG

MRDOG Brown Belt

4 year ago isn't that long. Its been two years since Conor fought in the division or at all in the UFC.

There was a time when Killers like Frankie Edgar / Grey Maynard / B.J. Penn were all in their primes in the division. With a ton of other fighters that were also elite tough fighters. While the LW division still has some of the same fighters in it .. they have aged and are not the same fighters they were when the LW division was jammed packed full of talent. They were not equally replaced by new tallent. Sure a few stand outs came along but as many as there once was. Today Nate Diaz is considered a top fighter and a title contender. He is basically a win one .. loose one fighter and always has been.