LW is kinda a mess right now

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ianpomfret, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ianpomfret

ianpomfret Orange Belt

Pettis beats Henderson via armbar. Dana announces that Grant has the next shot because he wants pettis to defend at least one time before a superfight with aldo. ( coming from the old saying, your not a champ until you defend your belt) along this time keep in mind, Thopmson has no fight, Melendez and Sanchez are about to scrap it out, Diaz and Maynard are slated to go, Henderson is about as far away from a title shot as Ryan Bayder at the moment. with no fight scheduled. and dos anjos is coming off a good performance and win. and Pat Healy is about to throw down with Kahbib (who is a perfect 20-0 i may mention). Pettis is ready to return to defend by december because he wants to hurry and defend as soon as possible so he can grab the superfight with aldo and sell a big fight. Grant isnt ready to return by december and asks for a jan. return. Instead of waiting one month for grant the UFC slates Thompson to trade leather with Showtime in December. leaving a number one contender foggy, after thompson and pettis fight, they could go with aldo superfight or grant ig, or have grant in a number one contender with ??

After Pettis and Thompson

Aldo superfight ( meantime have grant and Whom in #1 contender)
    Title shot to grant

and really the rest is see how these play out
    Diaz x Maynard
    Melendez x Sanchez
    Healy x Khabib
    and Hendersons next fight

thoughts?

2. BuffaloEmperor

BuffaloEmperor Brown Belt

if i was joe silva i would have done this. but easier said then done i guess.
    1.) diaz vs sanchez
    2.) bendo vs thompson
    3.) maynard vs healy
    4.) khalbib vs dos anos
    5.) pettis vs grant.
    imo, i think the match making lately has been baffling . not just at lightweight either its in every weight class pretty much.

3. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Brown Belt

I feel sorry fro Grant but Thompson vs Pettis is a better fight imo. He is as good a contender as any, still cant believe he tkoed nate, didn't think that was possible!

4. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

I wouldn't count on that Pettis/Aldo fight anytime soon. Grant wasn't ready/wasn't willing to fight in December, whatever the case may be. Most of the top guys are tied up right now and they wanted their final Fox card of the year to go out with a bang. Thomson is probably a top 7 guy, I'm not exactly sure, and he's a California native, a welcome main event edition for a playing to a partisan crowd. Seems perfectly logical to me.

5. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    lw just doesnt really have clear number one contenders like welterweight or featherweight, grant keeps getting injured, and thompson and anjos arent number one contenders yet (even though thompson is fighting for the title )

6. Jew Jif Shoes

Jew Jif Shoes Brown Belt

It sucks that Grant keeps getting screwed out of a shot. He's earned it.

7. ianpomfret

ianpomfret Orange Belt

This is actually really good, i would have preferred this for sure. But who knows what goes on with Joe Silva

8. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

If Grant isn't ready in December, there's no guarantee he's ready for Jan. He's talking about wanting to begin doing light grappling in October. He's not even close to training right now. It might b e a while before we see TJ.

This allows them to get Pettis a premiere fight on the big network with an NFL push while not holding the division up.

9. 315MMAFighter

315MMAFighter MąïȚře Đë Đəğåť§ - Pure Dominican Platinum Member

Grant will get his shot, & Pettis v Thompson is gonna be awesome!! Josh wins it too imo

10. ncboy

ncboy Brown Belt

he's injured and said he wouldn't be ready. What do you want the UFC to do?

11. bleaK

bleaK Blue Belt

I want to see Grant fight before anyone else get's a shot at Pettis, he's waited long enough and a month isn't huge in comparison to what people wait for say.. Cruz :p

12. Magooglie

Magooglie Steel Belt

I hope Grant gets better so he can have the title shot after Thomson. Dos Anjos and Khabib are both in good positions. If Khabib wins against Healy he should fight a #1 contender fight against Dos Anjos to line up a title challenger after Grant.

13. ianpomfret

ianpomfret Orange Belt

exactly my opinion, look at any resource or interview you need grant said he would have been ready in January if they would have waited. But im telling you Pettis wants to defend so he can get the money fight with aldo. It may not be about the money. Bu the wants a shot at aldo. Pettis is about the goat status. Hes even said it. Im not saying he will beat aldo or anything but pettis is clearly wanting that Aldo fight. And im SO GLAD

14. ianpomfret

ianpomfret Orange Belt

ehhh, you really think he deserves a #1 contender after cowboy? i mean he put on a good performance ( witnessed it live) but idl if it grants him a #1 contender. Give him one more before a #1 fight. throw him jim miller or the loser of melendez x sanchez

15. Magooglie

Magooglie Steel Belt

Cerrone is the title shot gatekeeper. And then a win over Khabib (or someone else if Khabib loses) warrants a title shot. Khabib beating Healy puts him above Miller. So Dos Anjos beats the title shot gatekeepr and then Khabib who beat the guy who beat Miller, and also rides a 6 fight winning strea , that's good enough for a title shot in a division where the next guy stringing wins together is Masvidal.

16. kmasonbx

kmasonbx Brown Belt

I think it's retarded that there are so many people who would want the champ to be held up because the #1 contender is hurt. I want to see the champ fight, I couldn't care less if the #1 contender isn't ready, find a new guy. That's what the UFC did, smart move.

17. ianpomfret

ianpomfret Orange Belt

Im not upset by it, The only thing i just dont quite understand is it was only a month. Its not like Grant was going to be out until April. He has went on record saying he would have been ready to fight pettis in January. But Im still super excited for Pettis x Thompson. Its going to be a good one.

18. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

A tournament at LW has been the right thing to do for the UFC for 5 years. They won't do it.

The winner of Nurg v Healy is really, really close.

19. ianpomfret

ianpomfret Orange Belt

LOL could you imagine if they did set up a tournament style bracket!

Pettis x Thompson ( championship) ( and gives time to go SUperfight with Aldo after if wins)

Grant x Henderson Healy X Khabib
    /
    Melendez x Sanchez Diaz X Maynard

LEEEEGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

20. spetanink

spetanink Blue Belt

this made me laugh, accurately stated though!