Lutador Atlanta

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by korleone1911, Sep 15, 2010.

1. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

Hey... any one competing in Lutador this weekend? I'll be there! competing in absolute no gi and my division (white belt super heavy men's) gi. I like this tourney. I get good matches. It just seems to drag out a little. The medals are nice. The competition is good (had a lot of Alliance guys there last time).

2. Foblander

Foblander Orange Belt

I'll be going this weekend as long as my shoulder holds up. Started feeling minor pain when I bring my arm across my chest. I have full range of motion and power and it doesn't really bother me. Hopefully something minor. White belt 154lbs and under 18+ gi.. Thinking about no gi as well

3. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

I will be there fighting in blue belt adult and masters med-heavy. I might also do the no-gi absolute. I have never competed in no-gi but, the cash prize make it tempting to give it a shot.

A couple of others from Gracie-Barra Knoxville will be making the trip and Samuel Braga will be there to coach us.

4. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

kool... my instructor is really good friends with Samuel and said he'd be there! See you there!

5. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Who is your instructor?

6. Carter86

Carter86 Orange Belt

i was there today. competed in men's white belt feather weight. It was a long day whew. I went against foblander today and he was a tough one :icon_twis

I love lutador. Refrees are good and theres no politic involved in judging. I had so much fun haha

7. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Both you guys where in the same division as a couple of my teammates. One ended up winning the division and the other lost a match by referees decision after not being awarded an advantage for a near guard pass. The referees as a whole were generally better than most tournaments, but they did make a few mistakes which will always happen.

I ended up winning blue belt adult med-heavy and another teammate got second in purple feather weight. All in all Gracie Barra-Knoxville had a pretty good day.

How did you and foblander end up doing? I probably saw your matches since I was watching that division.

8. Lutador011

Lutador011 Blue Belt

I like the name

9. Carter86

Carter86 Orange Belt

i am not sure if you are talking about me but I went against gracie barra guy for my 4th match. It was 0-0 and no one was awarded any advantage. I lost to him bc he showed more aggression and I was busy defending his submission attempts but I did try to open his guard and pass. But rules are rules and he was a better man yesterday. He ended up winning the division and got his blue belt. Congrats to him :)

I went against foblander for 3rd place match. (And it was my 5th match of the day) It was an all out war lol I was so tired and foblander almost got me in triangles couple times. Those were very close calls. I ended up winning the match by an americana from mount and got 3rd place (again)

I think Men's feather weight white belt division was the biggest division of the event. We had about 23 competitors LOL

Good job on winning the division!

I was in old white bad boy gi with Saraiva MMA patch on my back. (Korean guy if that helps you to remember haha)

10. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Yeah that was my teammate you went against in that match. Losing by referee's decision is always tough.

That was a huge division btw.

11. Carter86

Carter86 Orange Belt

yeah it was a huge division lol my whole body is so sore right now... :icon_cry2

12. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

I'm not quite sure who your guy team mate was, but I did well and had alot of fun ;-)! I like this tourney ALOT! and the advanced open was good to watch! I couldn't watch most of it because I was competing at the same time :-/. I just wish it wasn't an ALL DAY affair. which I guess can't really be avoided. Stuff actually ran pretty close to the start times they gave.

13. Foblander

Foblander Orange Belt

Bahh I never felt so exhausted in my life. lol It was a lot of fun competing in my first and I can't wait to compete again.

Alliance Tallahassee did pretty well overall.

I was able to win my first three matches. I was in the white Fushida gi (Asian guy) with no school patches. My fourth match I was about to pass out and walked into it knowing I was walking into no good territory and got armbarred. My match with Carter I was able to rest 5 minutes and we both were exhausted and gave it everything we had. lol Carter came out the better man so congrats again bro.

BTW there were honestly 23 competitors in our division?! That's crazy. haha I estimated 16 at least but I guess I wasn't even close.

14. Carter86

Carter86 Orange Belt

Yes there were 23 competitors in our division I believe. I went up to 2nd floor where they put all the schedule and matches. I counted how many competitors were in the division and I was very surprised :icon_excl

Man I faced guys from Alliance SC (devin-my arch rival), Alliance Atlanta, and Alliance Tallahassee (foblander). All of you guys were sooo tough. Now, I gotta train harder since you guys are after me lol

15. Carter86

Carter86 Orange Belt