Luque vs Wonderboy - Can we have a little discussion on this fight?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
As we know Wonderboy is coming in on the back of his first KO loss with Pettis so depending on how that's affected him be it knocking his confidence or giving him that fire to come back this could be a very interesting fight.

Vicente is no joke either, I mean we know Mike Perry is a brawler and was really giving it to Luque in that last fight however we saw what Luque did to Perry's nose which could obviously be concerning to Wonderboy considering his last loss was a second round KO it could be something that affects him.

So how do you see this fight going? I'd love to hear what you guys think :)

I don't really see the KO loss changing Wonderboy's mentality much. He seemed to easily accept that he got caught and I just think he's on another level than most fighters psychologically.

That being said, Vicente is dangerous and shows a lot of promise. However, his best win by FAR is Perry, who is not even remotely close to the level of competition that Wonderboy has fought and defeated. I think Wonderboy does his thing and picks him apart with his laser striking, but who knows with this sport

Luque is on the comeup with some good striking and serviceable groundgame. Wonderboy is coming off a bad KO to Pettis.

Luque would do well to chew up Wonderboys legs when outside and do his best to crowd WB as much as he can if he goes forward.
However,
I think WB May just be a little too long and rangey for Luque. I also think the last loss may enable him to fight safer and even more defensively.
I’ll take Wonderboy by lackluster decision.

It's my numero uno fight on that card. I can't wait. Luque is like skill mixed with Just Bleed. But Wonderboy usually fucks up everyone who charges him, so it should be a fun one. Unless... unless of course it's a T-Wood/Wonderboy, Till/Wonderboy, Masvidal/Wonderboy rerun with mostly just staring a.k.a. chess match.

Luque's an excellent pressure fighter and WB is an excellent counter striker...

It's an awesome matchup and I got my fingers crossed for Luque to win, but it's a little tailor-made for Thompson to land that massive counter

I really like Luque to go from prospect to contender on this one, but WB seems like a nightmare matchup on paper

I'm looking forward to the fight because as others have mentioned it's kind of a significant part in their career, the whole card that night is absolutely stacked with fights that are not only great fights but have a lot of meaning too.

Terrible matchup for Luque.

I am rooting for him, but will be surprised if he doesn't lose a UD.

Terrible matchup for Luque.

I am rooting for him, but will be surprised if he doesn't lose a UD.

Only just saw this but I'm looking forward to this fight :)

I think it's going to be a fight that both guys are going to really benefit from the win, the 244 card is full of fights which have a lot of meaning behind them :)

luque’s hands are incredibly fast and he has massive power. his boxing technique is very good for mma and he’s in his prime. i’d wager thompson is certainly on the back 9.

i do think thompson will be incredibly cautious in this fight and will wait on luque to take all the risks, countering accordingly. if he doesn’t eat a big shot from vicente, thompson should 30-27 him.

In fact this will be Luque's toughest fight, but this fight will also be a big challenge for Wonderboy. Thompson's best win against a striker was against a 170lb Whittaker. And I really believe that Luque is a striker superior to both versions of Whittaker, he is more technical, has excellent counter-punching, faster hands and has one punch ko power. And if at some point this fight goes to the ground, Wonderboy goes to sleep...

Back