Lundy vs Molina on ESPN2 Right Now

He did momentarily drop his gloves...and he immediately brought them back up to shield his face.

And those left hooks were nothing special. Yes, he's a dumbass for holding onto the ropes. Yes, he got hit clean with those shots. I just don't think 3 clean shots, then a clean right hand to the temple are enough to stop a fight when a guy dominated 2/3s of the fight.

Had he stood against the rope for 5-10 more seconds and not showed anything then I would agree with the stoppage. He got rocked, but IMO he wasn't given a full opportunity to make a comeback. He wasn't taking unnecesary damage, because he didn't get hit with shit in the first 6 rounds.

If every fight got stopped during situations like that boxing's history would be changed dramatically, and not for the better.

I dunno man, if Lundy was content to shell up for those last two rounds, he kinda lost his right to complain about a stoppage. His punch output was basically nil right before he was stopped and certainly wasn't a lack of gas that prevented him from getting off first or at least countering. I do agree that in the last flurry, Molina was pretty much catching forearms, albows, and gloves on the end of his punches, but I also think Lundy should've done more than just stonewall him, especially after that episode of rope grabbing.

After the knock down Lundy was telling the ref he tripped. lol

I loved that! Guy didn't even know what the fuck was going on and he is complaining about a trip.

Stoppage was a little quick but I understand why the ref did it. Lundy looked like his was out, the ref started to jump in, and then it was as if Lundy regained a little composure. I would have preferred for it to go on a little longer.

Lundy can definitely box. He actually looked like he had decent power (even though he doesn't plant his feet that much). Not sure if it was an illusion or if Molina really has that good of a chin. He looked like Margs out there.

Molina re-affirmed everyone's opinion of him -- a good tv fighter who is fun to watch, tough as hell, and pretty limited overall

Don't get me wrong.
I'm not really happy that Molina won.
The way he fought most of those rounds was embarrassing.

If Molina would have never caught Lundy with that lucky counter Lundy would have ran away with that fight.

Molina looked so timid. And looking that way against a guy much smaller than him.... and certainly not the most power either.

Ok now I see where Lundy's hands drop at the time of the stoppage. Once they did the ref should have come in to stop it.

Right around the 5 min mark

Good win for Molina I guess, still not very impressive on his part but Lundy's an asshole.

If you look at Lundy's performance overall in this fight, you can't help but be impressed with his hanspeed and footwork. The guy is slick. I think what happened here is he started to slow down (guy threw a lot of punches) and get a little lazy and Molina manned up and hurt him bad. Hvaing never seen either of these guys box before, I'm just curious if it's case of Lundy being that fast or Molina being that slow? Hank landed like 5 consecutive straight lefts in the space of 10 seconds there in the 4th and it looked like Molina was moving underwater trying to block them. I'd definitely like to see both of them fight again.

Next week we got my boy Zabs!!!!!!!!

These guys do this for a living. They go to the gym everyday, spar 3-4 times a week, and they get hit a lot. Sometimes they get their ass kicked. They get wobbled in the gym, and they are grown men who can take some punishment.

Based on what I said above, that video further reinforces my point of that being a bullshit stoppage. It's Lundys fault for putting himself at risk, but if this fight is gonna get stopped like that, than all other should. And if championship caliber fights got stopped over punches like that, this forum would blow up with pissed off fight fans.

Marquez got knocked down 3 times in his first fight with pac (we all know it was a draw)
Maidana was rocked MUCH worse than this in the 2nd round against Victor Ortiz
Juan Ma Lopez was out on his feet against Mtagwa
Bute was barely able to stand at the end of his fight with Andrade.
Kelly Pavlik was getting hammered at one point during his first fight with Taylor.

All of this fights involved a guy being rocked worse than Lundy, and none of them were stopped. And every time they guy who got rocked ended up winning (or taking it to a draw). I just don't see the point of professional fighting if a fight gets stopped every fucking time a guy gets rocked. I've seen 100 fights where a guy got wobbled like that and came back to win. Give him a few more seconds to recover and see what he does. I just think stoppages like this are not only watering down boxing, but also MMA.

Keep in mind, i'm not saying refs should let these guys get slaughtered out there. But when 2 prospects are battling it out, its the 11th round, and 1 guy is clearly up on the cards, I don't think its fair to the fighter to take away his potential victory without giving him time to defend themselves. Wow, his legs wobbled and his gloves dropped. Have any of yall ever boxed? It happens in the ammy's during sparring, with heavier gloves and headgear. I think a pro can handle it, especially one that boxes out of Philly.

These guys do this for a living. They go to the gym everyday, spar 3-4 times a week, and they get hit a lot. Sometimes they get their ass kicked. They get wobbled in the gym, and they are grown men who can take some punishment.

Based on what I said above, that video further reinforces my point of that being a bullshit stoppage. It's Lundys fault for putting himself at risk, but if this fight is gonna get stopped like that, than all other should. And if championship caliber fights got stopped over punches like that, this forum would blow up with pissed off fight fans.

Marquez got knocked down 3 times in his first fight with pac (we all know it was a draw)
Maidana was rocked MUCH worse than this in the 2nd round against Victor Ortiz
Juan Ma Lopez was out on his feet against Mtagwa
Bute was barely able to stand at the end of his fight with Andrade.
Kelly Pavlik was getting hammered at one point during his first fight with Taylor.

All of this fights involved a guy being rocked worse than Lundy, and none of them were stopped. And every time they guy who got rocked ended up winning (or taking it to a draw). I just don't see the point of professional fighting if a fight gets stopped every fucking time a guy gets rocked. I've seen 100 fights where a guy got wobbled like that and came back to win. Give him a few more seconds to recover and see what he does. I just think stoppages like this are not only watering down boxing, but also MMA.

Keep in mind, i'm not saying refs should let these guys get slaughtered out there. But when 2 prospects are battling it out, its the 11th round, and 1 guy is clearly up on the cards, I don't think its fair to the fighter to take away his potential victory without giving him time to defend themselves. Wow, his legs wobbled and his gloves dropped. Have any of yall ever boxed? It happens in the ammy's during sparring, with heavier gloves and headgear. I think a pro can handle it, especially one that boxes out of Philly.

Good points, here. I got your back on this, along with many other boxing stoppages, being crap. Ultimately, as a ref you have to do everything possible and give fighters every oppurtunity to decide the outcome of the match. IMO, you should only step in if the guy is fuckingn OUT. A lot of people don't agree with that, but that's truly how I see it. We'll never know if Lundy could have come back from that barrage if he took a knee and a little time to collect himself now, and that's a real shame and grossly unfair to Hammerin' Hank.

Anyways, it was a deadly fight and ESPN is really uppin' their game these past couple seasons.

Back