Lunch options while at work

kjos8035

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently 6'0" 150 lbs, and looking to gain lean muscle weight. I have a ridiculous metabolism, so keeping it lean shouldn't be a problem.

Right now I'm sitting around 4,000 calories a day, with a typical day looking like:

Breakfast-
Eggs
PB whole wheat toast
Banana
Tall glass of OJ
5g creatine

Mid morning-
Large oatmeal

Lunch-
This is where I could use some advice for options. A few days a week I need something I can bring to work, and the other days I am able to cook at home. I've typically been doing a giant sandwich and some fruit or something similar, however I've noticed that sandwiches tend to be more filling than necessary for the nutrition they offer. I usually finish lunch off with animal pack's, fish oil, glucosamine, and a protein shake

Mid afternoon-
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Protein bars
(again need some advice, several days I will be at work at this time)

Dinner-
Usually a big spinach/iceberg salad
Chicken
Veggies
Fruit
Milk

Evening-
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
A weight gainer shake

I work in front of a computer all day and can basically just eat nonstop, and have access to a break room with fridge, microwave, etc. Any advice for gaining weight would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I struggle with the same problem. :( Bumping this in the hope of inspiration.

Only things I can think of (as you can eat while working -- I can't) is things like nuts, yoghurt etc between meals / at your desk. Protein shakes. Pack extra sandwiches and keep them in the fridge.

And can you leave work at your lunch break and hit a chinese buffet or even a fast food joint?

I don't understand how you can know basically how to eat, but not know how to eat at a particular time of day. Can you explain your problem further?

When you make dinner, make double and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.

I'm currently 6'0" 150 lbs

Right now I'm sitting around 4,000 calories a day, with a typical day looking like:

Doubtful. Most of the time when I hear this it really translates to "I once in a while eat 4000 calories in a single day, but most days I eat 1500 and I frequently skip meals".

If you were eating 4000 calories a day and had been doing so regularly for a consistent period of time, you would not be scrawny.

You have a fridge in your break room. A gallon of whole milk has 2400 calories and 130g of protein. Drink one every day for a month and see if that works.

When you make dinner, make double and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.

yeah just seems too simple ... this is what i do

nuts will also help you with extra calories (almonds, pistachios, walnuts, cashew), hard boil some eggs at the beginning of every week, beef jerky, ...

+1 on the whole milk

like x stated, what is the real problem? do you not have a refrigerator or microwave or something available on lunch?

cook a bunch of chicken or steak or other protein on one day and then bring that, some rice, some veggies, etc in for lunch.

I eat tuna fish almost everyday for lunch at work

Tuna
Pepper
Mayo

Some wheat thins

as much as i love tuna i like not having mercury poisoning more

Indeed. Some options that are almost identical taste/texture wise:
Sardine Filet
Salmon
Herring
Mackerel

All canned, they cost a little more, but Sardines, Herring and Mackeral are really low risks re: mercury.

I don't understand how you can know basically how to eat, but not know how to eat at a particular time of day. Can you explain your problem further?

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions more than actually how to eat.

Doubtful. Most of the time when I hear this it really translates to "I once in a while eat 4000 calories in a single day, but most days I eat 1500 and I frequently skip meals".

If you were eating 4000 calories a day and had been doing so regularly for a consistent period of time, you would not be scrawny.

I've been lifting hard for about a year and a half now, with huge strength gains, and low weight gains. I have been really focusing on increasing my diet by a large amount in the past month or so.

You have a fridge in your break room. A gallon of whole milk has 2400 calories and 130g of protein. Drink one every day for a month and see if that works.

Trying this right now. I'm starting with half to 2/3 gallon/day, and I'm having a few rough stomach issues so we'll see if I get more used to it.

Indeed. Some options that are almost identical taste/texture wise:
Sardine Filet
Salmon
Herring
Mackerel

All canned, they cost a little more, but Sardines, Herring and Mackeral are really low risks re: mercury.

I've never really been a canned fish kind of guy o.o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably just start cooking more stuff at home ahead of time since I'm getting tired of sandwiches.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions more than actually how to eat.
You're trying to gain weight, eat whatever the fuck you want. I don't understand the problem either, i mean is it that your without a fridge/a microwave or something at work?

while tuna does have higher trace elements of mercury found inside them there's been studies that show it does not constitute a significant risk to human metabolic mercury poisoning...eat your tuna

Have you actually measured your nutritional intake? The diet you posted doesn't look like it's going anywhere NEAR 4,000 calories. I'd log a few days into Fitday.com and see if you're hitting the numbers you're aiming for.

As for your lunch, it really shouldn't be anything different than the rest of your diet. Maybe snack on almonds throughout the day and bring some seasoned ground beef and veggies for lunch? Personally, I bring two tupperware containers to eat at work each day. One is 6oz of chicken breast with buffalo sauce for around 11:00 am, the other is 8oz salmon or steak with some veggies for later in the afternoon.

Back