Lunch break rolling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bruce Calavera, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

I hear alot of people talk about going to go train on their lunch breaks but in respect to transit and the fact that lunch breaks are usually a max of an hour how on earth do so many people accomplish this. Do they just work next door to the gym? Are they drilling in the break room?

2. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I honestly have no idea how people pull this off, I would hate to go back to work all sweaty etc...

3. farmer

farmer Guest

there is a school about a 3/4 mile from my work. I run there to get warmed up. It takes about 7 minutes. I get there for the last half of class and just roll for 30 minutes then I run back to work. We have a shower at work to use. It's hard for me to train every night because I have a family so I just try and train whenever I can.

4. se7en-

se7en- White Belt

use to do it in high school.
    gotta be ok with the fact that you aren't going to be smelling like roses when you get back.

5. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

My bro does it, he has a training partner he works with that is good at kung fu. So one day my bro wrestlers with him and the next they kickbox.

6. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

Some jobs allow for more than an hour at lunch.

7. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Well, if you live in a Latin- American country or Albania, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, India, Iran, Southern Italy, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, North Africa, Pakistan, the Philippines, Serbia, Slovenia, Taiwan and Vietnam, all those countries have siesta, so you could probably fit it in if you lived in one of those places.

Aside from that, maybe if you timed it perfectly so that you could get to work, roll for half an hour, and eat something on your way back it could be done. It's been supported by a ton of research that right before lunchtime is the height of your body's athletic ability, because you're not tired from the day, you're awake from sleep, and you've already had breakfast so your metabolism is already going.

8. RangerDanger

RangerDanger White Belt

We need to implement the siesta here in the states. Pronto

9. cheeba85

cheeba85 Orange Belt

There's no siesta in Taiwan nor China, or else I could be training at lunch time as well...

10. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

if you work from home...

my brother doesn't normally do daytime classes at lunch, but he eats a meal-replacement bar for lunch while working and then goes to the gym for 45 minutes (either in his old apartment complex or in his house now). Comes back and works until he cools down, then takes 10 minutes to go shower when he has an opening. Pretty awesome.

11. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

i'm willing to bet it's not a strict 1 hour lunch. probably closer to 1.5-2. if you're in a position where you're allowed/required to manage yourself and your own time -- and there's no immediate need for you to be tied to your post -- there's an understanding where as long as you get your work done, *how* you divide your work hours is more or less up to you (within reason).

it's also common to have an understanding with your boss. ie, he knows your lunches will be 2 hours, but he also knows you come in early and/or stay late to make up the time. and if your job requires 45-60 hrs a week but your salary is based on 40 (as many careers these days do), a reasonable boss wouldn't bitch about a 2 hour lunch, since you're probably eating 2+ meals a day at your desk and putting in weekends on top of it.

12. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

i work 5min walk from my gym, i leave at 12pm walk up there & rill for 20min for so before class, class starts at 12:30 and goes for about an hour, then i roll for another 15-20min post class, shower & get back to work just before 2pm... i start work early most days and i have a lot of flexibility with my hours as well... its great because it means i can get in two session on some days so making 6 training sessions a week is pretty easy

13. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

plenty of people do... it's just not a coordinated time. Lots of school teachers sleep right after lunch for 20-30 minutes whenever they have a period off . It's glorious.

14. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Well, I pulled it from Wiki so take that w/ a grain of salt. The article just said that those countries practiced mid- day napping.

15. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Thanks. You just made me hate my non-teaching job.

16. nohuff

nohuff White Belt

This applies to me. I worked it out with my boss that I come in an hour early so that I can do a 2 hour lunch in order to train BJJ. My job is somewhat project oriented. As long as I am meeting my deadlines, my boss is generally happy.

17. s4ca

s4ca Yellow Belt

We get 3 one hour workout periods per week or 2 hour and a half workout sessions on the clock twice week. I hit two one hour afternoon gi classes per week, get back and shower here at work, change and back to the grind. On days that I train in the afternoon I double up and get an evening session in as well. I consider myself very lucky!

18. Icej

Icej White Belt

My day would be so much less stressful if I could train during my lunch break.

19. sanuces

sanuces Orange Belt

i love lunch time classes. being in management, i usually work well after everyone is gone. the trade off is i get to take slightly longer lunches to get to the gym, train for an hour and some change, shower up and get back to work. at one point they became my primary classes and i would sometimes get to train in the evenings. with day classes, on a good week i can get in 6-7 training sessions.

20. Waxwingslain

Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

I train during my lunch break with a colleague. We practise Escrima, hit pads and do light sparring and do Judo uchikomi most days. Once a week, when the weather is good, we go to the park, lay down some tarp and drill Judo/BJJ techs. We tend to eat whilst working. My boss seems fairly cool about it although I imagine people see us as a bit weird.