Lumberjack sweep at higher levels?

shapoopi

White Belt
Reaction score
As a white belt, when someone stands in your guard the most natural thing to do seems to be the lumberjack sweep (pick both ankles and push on the hips).
I know Sean Roberts posted some comp footage of himself sweeping a lot of guys this way a while back, but I was just curious if anyone has any vids of higher level guys (ie brown/ black) doing this successfully. Or is it just ineffective at higher levels?

Nobody at higher levels is going to leave your hands free and both ankles in reach as they stand up. So it doesn't really come up, except if some sort of scramble is going on.

how did you come up with the name lumberjack sweep?

I see the handstand sweep a lot more at the higher levels, not so much the one you mentioned.

I see the handstand sweep a lot more at the higher levels, not so much the one you mentioned.

Yeah, you have a decent shot at one ankle with one free arm, giving you the handstand sweep, but it's really unlikely your opponent will give you both ankles with both free arms.

Occasionally it pops up, but very rarely. and ususaully ends in some kind of leg lock

you are at risk of an ankle lock, but the sweep is still effective at all levels (obviously with the right timing).

someone from our school actually baits it too set up a leg lock

I bait this sweep frequently (in fact I prefer them getting both ankles to them getting just one as it's more predictable) as it gives me an almost perfect record of breaking closed guard. Every once in a while I use it to get an easy achilles lock. I use this on higher belts as well, with the only problem being that they are less likely to let me stand in the first place.

I've actually gotten this from butterfly guard on quite a few guys of various levels. So they stand in butterfly or I get two hooks in and they stand and I pull ankles and bump their hips with my knees.

I like it better than the one from closed guard. There are some guys you simply can't avoid getting in a leglock battle with when you do the closed guard version and come up to mount--I don't care how fast you get up. Having long-ass legs doesn't help matters.

I've actually gotten this from butterfly guard on quite a few guys of various levels. So they stand in butterfly or I get two hooks in and they stand and I pull ankles and bump their hips with my knees.

I like it better than the one from closed guard. There are some guys you simply can't avoid getting in a leglock battle with when you do the closed guard version and come up to mount--I don't care how fast you get up. Having long-ass legs doesn't help matters.

That is a good sweep that Marcelo does all the time. You can lunge in for double hooks and shove them over.

Back