Lumbar rounding vs extension in bottom of squat

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
been doing high bar squats and noticed when I hit depth I get the fabled “butt wink.” Any way to cure this? What’s a worse position for the spine under load, lumbar rounding or lumbar extension? I feel like I don’t know what a “neutral spine” feels like and I’m either arched or rounded.

I have this same issue and am curious what more experienced lifters have to say. Certainly hip mobility is a factor, which I'm trying to improve with stretching. Another thing I've done that mitigates it is avoiding leaning forward at the bottom of the squat like I used to. If I keep looking up with my back arched, lumbar rounding only occurs if I try to go to parallel or below. Until I find a better answer, I might just lack the hip mobility to do proper ass to grass squats.

Ankle immobility also tends to interfere.

I'd never considered this, but looking at my form now, I think it's also part of the issue.

Another thing I've done to mitigate is taking a wider stance. It might reduce the range of motion but it feels more natural to me and reduces rounding.

So is the cure simply not squatting that deep? Hip/ankle mobility? Everything?
Squatting to your levers basically.
Play around with feet width in squatting stance,ankle and hip mobility. Butt wink is dangereous in the long run.

I'm not an expert on the topic, but I know issues with mobility and flexibility at different points of the body (shoulder, hamstring, various aspects of the hip, ankle) can be a contributing factor to lumbar rounding at the bottom of the squat as well as bracing/stability issues at the bottom. I think finding what are contributing factors and fixing those issues can help as well as the appropriate cues to help maintain a neutral spine.

I'm sure Barbell Medicine has covered this topic in detail that you can check out.

I'm not an expert on the topic, but I know issues with mobility and flexibility at different points of the body (shoulder, hamstring, various aspects of the hip, ankle) can be a contributing factor to lumbar rounding at the bottom of the squat as well as bracing/stability issues at the bottom. I think finding what are contributing factors and fixing those issues can help as well as the appropriate cues to help maintain a neutral spine.

I'm sure Barbell Medicine has covered this topic in detail that you can check out.
I would rather listen to Aaron from Squat University. That guy is awesome.
I would say if you are into poweliftin,weightlifting,overall biomechanics with weights he is the man.

I would rather listen to Aaron from Squat University. That guy is awesome.
I would say if you are into poweliftin,weightlifting,overall biomechanics with weights he is the man.
I will check him out. Thanks!

I fixed the issue. Widened my stance so I’m sitting between my knees rather than on top of them.

I fixed the issue. Widened my stance so I’m sitting between my knees rather than on top of them.

That's what I did as well. It eliminates butt wink and feels more natural, but it also feels like less range of motion. The issue it creates is it makes my conventional DL stance feel awkward by comparison. I'm convinced my lack of hip and ankle flexibility is the cause for both squat butt wink and back rounding in the DL. I'd like to continue pulling conventional for the greater back emphasis, but I struggle going really heavy without rounding and may have to switch to sumo until I'm able to improve flexibility, if ever.

It really depends on the genetic makeup of your structure and what feels best for your body. In my opinion, butt wink is usually associated with tight hamstrings and poor ankle mobility. The key here is to FEEL what's going on in your body. Does your body FEEL strong? What about towards the bottom of the movement when you experience the wink?

I know personally for me, an anterior tilt is a very strong position at the bottom of the squat. There's a certain point near the bottom of the squat if I go any lower I know it'll snap my back. I haven't tested it under heavy loads, but I know, and I don't want to because I can feel when I'm approaching that position.

Try this out:

Back