Luke Thomas likens PED use to superior genetics in terms of 'fairness'

So since some people have better genes .. let me use brass knuckles.

Good argument.

Yes. I will bring a baseball bat and a machine gun in to my bout against Cruz. Seems fair, according to Luke.

I like my cage fighters like I like my apples... Juicy

Luke has been going full retard as of late.

yeah he really made a fool of himself on the mma beat the other week.

kept insisting that there were 'no scientific studies' to indicate that an athlete could inflict more head trauma to an opponent if he was on steroids.

kept insisting that there were 'no scientific studies' to indicate that an athlete could inflict more head trauma to an opponent if he was on steroids.

Luke is looking for any basis to protect Jon Jones and keep his cuckold fantasy going.

Yes. I will bring a baseball bat and a machine gun in to my bout against Cruz. Seems fair, according to Luke.
To be fair, I'd give Cruz the advantage in any fight vs a Sherbro with a baseball bat. The machine gun might tip the scales, though.

He is right about poor sanctioning leading to unnecessary injuries etc but he is being pretty stupid on his PED argument.

Truth is there should be some sanctioned PED use considering what these fighters are going through, but Luke is being a numbnut here.

You're equivalency is shit, it's not akin to someone cheating on a test more like someone taking adderall to study for the same test.

hey, look, the anti-PED crusader

but luke thomas' idea is completely insane

he's like that liberal that want equality at all costs, even though we were born unequal and that's just part of what we are

That's actually his point though, that we aren't born equal, and that basing the testing on a notion of 'fairness' is flawed to begin with, due to the almost extreme disparity between a guy like Yoel Romero and the average guy. He also explains how someone who, for example, has a lot more money, can do things like fly in training partners, use hyperbaric chambers to train, hire the best nutritionist, etc, while his less economically blessed opponent can't. Is that fair?

I don't even think he's against PED testing, but he's just systematically attempting to refute the standard arguments for USADA-level testing.

Personally I don't have a problem with PEDS people still have to put the work in, they don't magically make you better without the hard work. I think if people had accepted them in the past they would have been improved upon and with proper usage most people would see more positives than negatives.

With that said the rules are clear, the fighters know the rules when they get into this, there is no inherent right to be allowed to compete. If you cannot compete within the rule set you have no right to compete. It would be like me trying to argue with a police officer that I think the speed limit is stupid so I can drive as fast as I want I am a better driver why is it unfair to me that I cant drive that speed? I knew the rules of the road and I have to follow them whether I think they are just or not.

you had me going until the dumb final paragaraph, lol
if anything it's libertardians who never stop going on about the failures of regulation.
anyway, fuck Luke Thomas

He is right about poor sanctioning leading to unnecessary injuries etc but he is being pretty stupid on his PED argument.

Truth is there should be some sanctioned PED use considering what these fighters are going through, but Luke is being a numbnut here.

If you listen to his whole rant, that's exactly what he's saying.

Didn't he say he won't defend Jones anymore? So why is it that everything he says is basically defending Jones (directly or indirectly)?

He's a nut-hugger if ever there was one. He makes most Sherdoggers look like calm, balanced, well-adjusted individuals with thoughtful insight by comparison. What a fucking joke.

Have you ever talked to Jon Jones' fans?
It's quite similar to this.

Jial0q8.jpg

Today's MMA Fighting Live Chat was enjoyable. Luke Thomas finally came out with his true views on PEDs.

He doesn't think PEDs are all that bad, on the grounds that sport is inherently unfair. He pointed to some people possessing superior genetics compared to others as an example of 'unfairness', and repeatedly returned to this point. Luke then mentioned that he has recently undergone a DNA test and discovered that he has zero genetic athleticism. The idea that PEDs might 'violate the spirit of the sport' is 'a total non-starter for me'. It is 'bankrupt'. He favours minimal testing and wants to see 'excellence' when he switches on the TV.

I find comparing illegal chemical enhancement to genetic advantage simply ridiculous. You have no human right to excel in sport, or anything else. Luke's argument is bogus. Let's test this by applying Luke's own logic. Let's say I am an excellent and gifted theoretical physicist. Someone else who lacks my genetically-determined intelligence would, according to Luke, be fully justified in cheating on tests and experiments in order to compete with me. Moreover, for me to complain about this is 'bankrupt'.

That's stupid. One might even say it's the argument of a donk.

Luke then embarrassed himself further by stating that 'anybody who tries to boil an ethical dilemma down to "are you clean or are you dirty?" is someone with a fundamentally unserious position'. The whole purpose of an ethical dilemma is to separate right from wrong, Luke.

It's striking that Luke doesn't put the onus on the individual to obey civilised norms (a bit like his defence of Jon Jones). Like a true ideological statist, he then started banging on about the failures of commissions to regulate the sport properly and protect people from bad referees - as if that is even connected to the separate issue of PEDs. It's interesting that Luke always looks to the government rather than the individual, isn't it?
I agree w you on most points...but you made a bad analogy of the genetically smart person in physics.....its not cheating on a test to compete with smart guy...cheating on the test is meaningless....just because you cheat on a test does not mean you can compete with the naturally smart guy at work...they will see you're an idiot on the 1st day....no so in MMA...a more accurate analogy would be that the cheater took drugs to get his brain smarter, then passed the same test as the naturally gifted smart guy...then went to work side by side with the genetically smart guy and did just as good on the job or better. Then the analogy is accurate.

People like him are so obsessed with scientific studies they've lost any common sense.

Luke has a degree in journalism, aka it's completely fucking useless.

He's at the stage of understanding science where if there hasn't been a peer reviewed published study on a matter, Luke is going to say DERP NO EVIDENCE WHERES THE PROOF DERPPPPP

He's wrong to think this way.

He's just even more lost after finding out his hero Jon "If you hate him, you're racist" Jones popped and is scrambling.

Luke hates Jones and shits on him almost very chance he gets. It usually happens right after he says, "I don't dislike Jon Jones but..."

Have you ever talked to Jon Jones' fans?
This is usually what happens.

Jial0q8.jpg
I've talked to (and trolled) Jones' fans for years on this site. They've always been a pretty arrogant yet insecure bunch (generally speaking - I can't say that all of his fans are like that). But most of his fans have hopped off his bandwagon. It was hard to stay on it after the hit and run, but some people did. Now there's really not many people still supporting Jon Jones, so the ones who are left (like Luke Thomas) are the willfully blind who have no problem with making contradictory statements and ignoring facts, reality, and any and all counter-arguments.

Even on Sherdog, that kind of blind fanaticism is rare.

Back