Luke Rockhold's Jiujitsu

Xplosive-Viking

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How good is it? To me, he looks to be one of the best at it, in the UFC. If we talk pure mma-jiujitsu.

Fill in with the names¨
etc..
FW:
LW: Pettis, RDA?
WW: Damien Maia, Gunnar Nelson,
MW: Chris Weidman, Luke Rockhold, Jacare(obviously) ...
LHW:
HW: Werdum

Whats the verdict, how good is Luke Rockhold compared to the other top jiujitsu guys in the UFC?
- He calls it Legitzu, is it?

Luke dismantling lyoto machida with legitzu

His top game is ridiculous, and he's very good at reversing takedowns. Also, Roger Gracie said that Luke could probably place or win at the black belt worlds, which is a huge compliment from a guy like him.

VERY good. At his weight the only person that is comparable/better is Jacare. (Or Maia when he was a MW)

for luke it shoulda be called bigjitsu.

That dude does not miss an opportunity to take advantage of a hurt fighter or a bad position. He has submitted some very good guys. I wouldn't put Nelson with Maia given Maia took him to school.

The only one to submitt bisping, and he does it with a one-armed gillotine.. haha.. (end ot the vid)

I watched an interview (I think off of someone's post on here) from a World champ BJJ guy training with him, and he admitted Luke caught him when they first rolled. I would assume Luke has a world class ground game.

Luke and Chris for that matter have pretty wicked ground games, Weidman kinda become a boxer after he KO'ed Anderson but when Weidman was a prospect his ground game was highly touted after the 09 ADCC he took part in, Luke would also do very well in grappling and held his own against Jacare, Vitor stuffed his only takedown in their fight.

Submitting Bisping and Lyoto are big, he easily tooled Boetsch with a wicked kimura, dominated Weidman on the ground. He's not as good as Jacare but he's easily the second best guy on the ground after him.

I watched an interview (I think off of someone's post on here) from a World champ BJJ guy training with him, and he admitted Luke caught him when they first rolled. I would assume Luke has a world class ground game.

Was it Buchecha? I know that he's been to AKA to train.

That dude does not miss an opportunity to take advantage of a hurt fighter or a bad position. He has submitted some very good guys. I wouldn't put Nelson with Maia given Maia took him to school.

Yeah, I'd think you'd put Maia *distance* and then Gunni. Can't really think of any other fighters with their level of BJJ at WW.

Jacare and Rockhold seems to be at the top of that division when it comes to jiu jitsu, especially after Luke's ground clinic on The Chris. Thales Leites is also very strong on the ground, I think he was a world champion at brown belt.

Pettis has some pretty slick submissions, but when he catches guys, he does it more with speed than anything else, when he fought RDA, he had nothing for him on the ground. Beneil Dariush, Nate Diaz, Tony Ferguson and Khabib are all much more competent grapplers than Pettis.

As far as MMA grappling goes Luke is among the best, probably second only to Jacare. As soon as somebody gives Luke an opening he hits the sub, and his ground and pound is really good. A big part of grappling in MMA is the ability to be effective with ground strikes, and Luke punishes dudes.

Sergio Moraes. Antonio Braga Neto. Two very underrated guys, at least in Shertardia. I think either would beat Luke nogi, get tooled in the cage though which I guess is all that matters.

Edit:I think a few guys on the grappling forum could give him a run for his money as well.

Back