Luke Rockhold is clearly a better fighter than Chris Weidman - Discuss.

Ok so let me thinkg..

Let me check the rankings..

Uh..

Let me check their accomplishments..

Oh..

You are comparing pure BJJ skills but what bout their ability to use them in an MMA fight ? ( I am not sure this one, just raising the question )

You are saying Weidman can't kick.. What about his positioning ? I am pretty sure Weidman would be able to dodge that TRTKick ;)

Bizzare Silva bouts.. OK I stopped reading there..

I have a proposition, we will patiently wait for their fight (which will come very soon) and the outcome will show us who is right :)

Rockhold IS a better fighter. Also, Vitor would murder Weidman. He's infinitely better on the feet and too fast for Weidman to take down.

- Weidman is often lauded for his submission skills... and he is a brown-belt. Luke Rockhold is a black-belt, and has won two golds in the IBJJF World championships.

- Weidman has good boxing... Rockhold has good boxing AND very good kicks, which Weidman does not seem to possess to anywhere near the same degree.

- The two bizarre Silva bouts aside, Weidman's best wins are a decision over a welterweight (Maia) and the eminently beatable Munoz. Rockhold has UD'd Jacare Souza in a 5-round title fight, as well as defending against Kennedy, also highly-ranked.

- Ok, so Rockhold has been KO'd... by the TRT-fuelled monster Belfort, who was also the only person in history to knock out Dan Henderson. For all we know, that version of Belfort could have brutalized Weidman early too.

Weidman is a very good fighter, but I think he seems limited next to Rockhold, who appears to have it all. His BJJ is at least as good if not better, and his striking is definitely better IMO.

Weidman, Machida, Belfort, Rockhold, Mousasi, Jacare - what a middleweight crop this is!!

Luke?

I agree Rockhold is better than Weidman.

Wait. So, you're saying that Rockhold has the same flaw most of the strikers in MMA have? Poor footwork and timing on his strikes?

He's flashy. He's not a better striker than Weidman. "Better" is just as much about when you choose to hit, where you land, how you defend, how you move, where you are at all times as much as it is about technique. Rockhold has nicer technique, but that doesn't mean shit in a fight.

no, I'm saying that's his biggest glaring flaw, while most top strikers have other weaknesses, and the rest have weaknesses all over. With Rockhold it's backing up in a straight line against the cage when he misses his counter right hook, and his rather meager arsenal.

Weidman's a great shootboxer with good footwork. This thread was before the Lyoto fight, which showed how good Chris' cutting the cage off movement is. That, combined with his length, size, durability, sub grappling on top and overall wrestling makes him the favorite against all MW contenders.

But the Lyoto fight also showed Weidman doesn't have much when you back him up instead, while Rockhold can counter & circle, but also has the above mentioned defensive flaw.

are you crazy:"two bizzare silva bouts aside" wtf he destroyed silva twice,beat machida who you havent mentioned,maia former n1 contender on short notice,sakara on short notice,urijah hall via tko b4 ufc signed him,munoz long time top 10 mw,tom lawlor.....
Rockhold has been ko'd twice and weidman has great chin and more power in his hands
Rockhold beat good guys and has better kicks
Weidman has better wins,but i wouldnt be surprised if rockhold won

Back