Luke Rockhold is clearly a better fighter than Chris Weidman - Discuss.

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- Weidman is often lauded for his submission skills... and he is a brown-belt. Luke Rockhold is a black-belt, and has won two golds in the IBJJF World championships.

- Weidman has good boxing... Rockhold has good boxing AND very good kicks, which Weidman does not seem to possess to anywhere near the same degree.

- The two bizarre Silva bouts aside, Weidman's best wins are a decision over a welterweight (Maia) and the eminently beatable Munoz. Rockhold has UD'd Jacare Souza in a 5-round title fight, as well as defending against Kennedy, also highly-ranked.

- Ok, so Rockhold has been KO'd... by the TRT-fuelled monster Belfort, who was also the only person in history to knock out Dan Henderson. For all we know, that version of Belfort could have brutalized Weidman early too.

Weidman is a very good fighter, but I think he seems limited next to Rockhold, who appears to have it all. His BJJ is at least as good if not better, and his striking is definitely better IMO.

Weidman, Machida, Belfort, Rockhold, Mousasi, Jacare - what a middleweight crop this is!!

Rockhold and Weidman would be a good fight, but I think Weidman takes it.

I'd pick brown belt Chris Weidman in pure BJJ over black belt Luke Rockhold, all day every day.

The only thing Luke really has over everybody in the division is his cardio. Which is how he beat Jacare. Pure cardio.

I like both guys, but I'm agreeing with TS here. I think Rockhold is a bad matchup for Weidman. Not saying it would be a definite win for either guy, but I'd take Luke.

Weidman > Rockhold. I think TS is probably blinded by the dong and can't see clearly.

in the standup i think they are close.

in grappling?? Weedman is on a whole other level. Saying brown belt/black belt doesnt really tell the real story. Weedman was giving fits to Andre Galvao in a grappling match years ago. Galvao is one of the best grapplers in the world. Rockhold won some minor tournaments at blue and purple. Really not comparable and easy to tell you overvalue that.

Then go to the wrestling department and its an even bigger advantage for Weedman.

Rockhold beat Jacare by forcing a standup battle for most of the fight. Weedman outgrappled Maia on 11 days notice. Big difference there too. Still Jacare took Rockhold down a few times, Weedman surely can too.

I'd pick brown belt Chris Weidman in pure BJJ over black belt Luke Rockhold, all day every day.

The only thing Luke really has over everybody in the division is his cardio. Which is how he beat Jacare. Pure cardio.

I'll also take Luke. No homo.

Haven't seen much from Rockhold, but I'm not sold on Weidman yet.

I would pick Rockhold agaisnt Weidman.

Apparently TS has no clue what the word "clearly" means.

Wonder how long til people stop using the term "better fighter" lol, in something as diverse as mma where match ups can be totally different it sounds stupid

- Weidman is often lauded for his submission skills... and he is a brown-belt. Luke Rockhold is a black-belt, and has won two golds in the IBJJF World championships.

- Weidman has good boxing... Rockhold has good boxing AND very good kicks, which Weidman does not seem to possess to anywhere near the same degree.

- The two bizarre Silva bouts aside, Weidman's best wins are a decision over a welterweight (Maia) and the eminently beatable Munoz. Rockhold has UD'd Jacare Souza in a 5-round title fight, as well as defending against Kennedy, also highly-ranked.

- Ok, so Rockhold has been KO'd... by the TRT-fuelled monster Belfort, who was also the only person in history to knock out Dan Henderson. For all we know, that version of Belfort could have brutalized Weidman early too.

Weidman is a very good fighter, but I think he seems limited next to Rockhold, who appears to have it all. His BJJ is at least as good if not better, and his striking is definitely better IMO.

Weidman, Machida, Belfort, Rockhold, Mousasi, Jacare - what a middleweight crop this is!!
They will eventually fight so we'll know then. Hopefully it will be a good exciting fight.

I've always thought that would be a good match. I had Rockhold and Weidman around the same level before the first Silva fight.

Back