Luke Rockhold improvement since Jacare

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CinemaKingdom, Jan 21, 2015.

1. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

How much has Rockhold improved since fighting Jacare? I've seen a few of his fights but haven't studied him very much so far.

It's also kind of hard to tell because he hasn't fought that many great guys since Jacare (Jacare is by far the best win of his career). The only other guys he beat were Jardine (who was 2-5-1 in his last 8 going into that fight), Tim Kennedy (solid win but not an elite) and Michael Bisping (another solid win but not elite, Bisping was 3-3 in his last 6 going into that fight).

2. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

I just watched the Rockhold/Jacare fight tonight (figured I would start there and work my way to his newest fights). I thought Jacare won that one but it was very close.

3. doomy200

doomy200 Brown Belt

He's improved dramatically. He was like an excited kid with a lot of heart back then, now he's more of a killer.

4. Benoitthegr8

Benoitthegr8 Bum Life Practitioner Platinum Member

Not sure but, he hasn't improved as much as Connor McG has in the same time frame, that is fact, you heard here first......

5. Ollie_Williams

Ollie_Williams Green Belt

He's improved a ton. I would definitely pick him over Jacare if they were to throw down again.

6. N8dogg

N8dogg Green Belt

Rockhold vs Machida will be a great fight

7. Lito Lapida

Lito Lapida Brown Belt

finally a rematch that makes sense.

8. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

Kennedy is elite. Anyone who denies that is a hater or has some bizarre standards.

9. Ollie_Williams

Ollie_Williams Green Belt

Yup. People can hate him all they want, but to deny that he's elite is ridiculous.

10. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

His boxing is appreciably better. What was holding him back when he was younger was his porous defense and particular vulnerability to being countered because he didn't set stuff up well (or, at all, much of time). Even with these flaws, I think he clearly beat Jacare, and I think his improvements are a lot more substantial than Jacare's and would be much more apparent in a rematch.

11. Sopapo

Sopapo Green Belt

I probably would have to rewatch his last fights but he beat Costas and Bisping without ever getting hit with a single punch if im not mistaken. Bisping might be an established top guy (at least top 10) but Costas striking is nothing to joke about either..

12. YourfatherII

YourfatherII Brown Belt

I thought he lost that fight but today I could see him beating him. I'd love to see a rematch, it was hotly contested at the time and makes perfect sense.

13. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

Depends on your definition I suppose. He is ranked in the top 10 but his only top 10 win is Michael Bisping. He is a solid win, like I said, but he hasn't really beat anyone and out of the 4 top 10 guys he has fought lately, he lost 3 of them. Elite to me is the very top of the pack, the guy's at least in the top 5 who are something special and going to get a title shot if they stay on track.

14. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

I thought Jacare won the first fight (I just rewatched it last night when making this thread) but it was close either way. I'm interested in checking out Rockhold's improved striking. One thing he really has going for him is that he is only 30 so he can continue to improve.

15. Durruti

Durruti Banned Banned

Your concept of elite is obviously wrong.

Tim Kennedy is elite. Im sure any pro fighter would argue with this. Including the guys that you consider "elite". Rockhold consider Kennedy elite as he says when he is asked...Jacare is not elite neither? He had a very close fight with Kennedy, you could even argue Tim won that fight.

Anyways, when you are able to hang with the "elite", you are elite, although you lose by a slight margine or on points. Obiously someone has to win and someone has to lose in a fight.

You have the concept of elite that only a casual fan could have pretty clearly

16. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

Obviously wrong because your randomly think so? lol

Elite definition- a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities. Tim Kennedy has defeated 1 top 10 fighter at MW, Bisping, who himself is barely top 10. The other 3 he has lost to. I don't think anyone believes Kennedy is getting a title shot anytime soon. He isn't even in the discussion for it and he is 35 years old now coming off a loss.

There aren't even 15 MWs in the world who even matter that much, the bottom of the top 10 are guys like Bisping and Dollaway who are never going to come close to a title shot. Kennedy is just slightly ahead of those guys. Like I said, he is solid, but not elite. If you want to believe he is, knock yourself out, but you don't define the terms as you are trying to do. By your definition, whatever that is, apparently everyone is elite, which makes the term elite meaningless.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  17. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

So far, watched the Jacare vs Rockhold fight, thought Jacare won but it was a very close fight. Just watched Jardine vs Rockhold, solid win against a guy who used to fight at 205lbs and had some success there but he was also 2-5-1 in his last 8 coming into that fight. Rockhold had some good high kicks and spinning kicks but ate some good leg kicks from Jardine. Impressive first round finish.

18. That Idiot Tibor**

That Idiot Tibor** Purple Belt

His competition at MW is certainly better than Machida's.

Machida is going to have a very hard time landing his only punch - the straight left, against a tall southpaw. as the fight goes on Rockhold will probably start to land his counter right hook consistently.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  19. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

He obviously has more fights at MW because he has been there longer. The big names he fought at MW would be Jacare, Jardine, Kennedy, Belfort and Bisping. Machida's big names at MW would be Munoz, Mousasi and Weidman.

I'd say it's pretty equal but Machida also had a career at LHW which has names far beyond anyone Rockhold has fought.

20. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

That is one of the things that makes the fight interesting. Both are southpaws so their normal tactics will have to be adjusted. Who will do better at adjusting? Guess we will find out. In the couple of fights I have watched recently, Rockhold is very hitable but someone earlier mentioned he has improved in defense since then.

He is taller than Machida and has a longer reach, that could be interesting. But I think the thing that might present Machida with more problems is that Rockhold will mix things up. He will strike but he also will put people against the fence and he has some slick submissions. Machida doesn't really mix things up anymore. He just strikes and defends on the ground if he gets taken there but I would like to see him go for takedowns again and his foot sweeps, even if he doesn't get them, it gives people more to think about which makes his striking even more effective.