Ryan García vs Luke Campbell Jan.2nd DAZN

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
An interim title fight between the pair of top-rated lightweights have been ordered by the World Boxing Council (WBC), in its latest efforts to provide clarity in the division.

“With [Javier] Fortuna pulling out of the Luke Campbell fight, we have just been notified that the WBC have ordered Campbell v Ryan Garcia,” Eddie Hearn, Campbell’s promoter and managing director of Matchroom Boxing announced via social media on Wednesday. “Great fight! @DAZN_USA @GoldenBoy.”

campbell-garcia-7120.jpg

https://www.boxingscene.com/luke-ca...ightweight-title-fight-ordered-by-wbc--149901

Nice!!! Have been waiting on a Big fight announcement to resubscribe to DAZN.

great fight. This will tell us what we need to know about Garcia. Campbell is probably the best guy in the division without a title, but he's a distinct step below Tank/Haney/Lopez/Loma.

great fight. This will tell us what we need to know about Garcia. Campbell is probably the best guy in the division without a title, but he's a distinct step below Tank/Haney/Lopez/Loma.
There’s absolutely nothing to prove that he’s a step below Tank who only fights blown up fighters from the division beneath him. Nor Honey or Lopez. It’s only Eye ball test if you think so.

he’s only a step below Loma. Haney and Lopez only have titles because Loma gave them up

This is a good fight. If Campbell can still make the weight I pick him to win.

Pretty stoked for this fight, should he competitive. I expect and hope Garcia wins. I'd love to see a year or two down the line if things line up Lomachenko vs Ryan Garcia.

There’s absolutely nothing to prove that he’s a step below Tank who only fights blown up fighters from the division beneath him. Nor Honey or Lopez. It’s only Eye ball test if you think so.

he’s only a step below Loma. Haney and Lopez only have titles because Loma gave them up

You're not wrong about all those guys being relatively unproven at LW, but Campbell isn't remotely proven, either. He clearly failed against his toughest challenge other than Lomachenko (can't blame him for losing to Lomachenko, but I think a lot of the other guys would beat that version of Linares) and has looked rather pedestrian several times in his career.

I mean, Davis's win over Pedraza is clearly more meaningful than anything Campbell has done and you've correctly identified that Davis is far from proven.

Nice fight!

this is the fight where we find out if García is the goods. Campbell is under rated and a very good, rangey boxer.

I’d edge towards García but not with too much confidence

Excellent fight! LW is really heating up now. The winner of Lopez - Loma vs the winner of this? That would be a great fight. And with Haney and Tank in the division, there are a lot of great fights to be made at LW.

You're not wrong about all those guys being relatively unproven at LW, but Campbell isn't remotely proven, either. He clearly failed against his toughest challenge other than Lomachenko (can't blame him for losing to Lomachenko, but I think a lot of the other guys would beat that version of Linares) and has looked rather pedestrian several times in his career.

I mean, Davis's win over Pedraza is clearly more meaningful than anything Campbell has done and you've correctly identified that Davis is far from proven.
Campbell isn't remotely proven? As a top contender he is. His first title shot was against the #1 guy in the division, a three-division titlist, and he made it very close. His next title shot was against the current #1 in the division, also a three-division titlist, and a Top 3 P4Per. He did a bit better than expected there too though his significant size advantage certainly helped his case. The two losses he had prior were close Split Decisions before losing wide to Loma. Campbell is arguably the second best boxer in the division. He's in the exact same boat as Derevyanchenko as a top contender in his division yet to win a world title. Had Campbell & Derevyanchenko been granted softer title fights then I have no doubt both would already be holding a world title.

Garcia is about to enter the world stage with a win.
I favor Garcia but not by a whole lot. Campbell's economical boxing, size for the division, grit, and experience should provide a real test for him. Campbell can also punch a bit when he sits down on his shots. I've never seen Garcia effectively box & move against an opponent much less one of Campbell's quality. I favor Garcia due to his youth advantage, height & reach, and his combination of speed & power.

The clear pattern that emerges from Campbell's losses is that the three guys that beat him all had fast hands and were twitchy (Mendy, Linares & Loma). Garcia's fast hands comes with one-shot power so I'm sure GB likes their chances in this one. They wouldn't compromise their future superstar if they weren't highly confident in this match-up.

I favor Garcia but not by a whole lot. Campbell's economical boxing, size for the division, grit, and experience should provide a real test for him. Campbell can also punch a bit when he sits down on his shots. I've never seen Garcia effectively box & move against an opponent much less one of Campbell's quality. I favor Garcia due to his youth advantage, height & reach, and his combination of speed & power.

The clear pattern that emerges from Campbell's losses is that the three guys that beat him all had fast hands and were twitchy (Mendy, Linares & Loma). Garcia's fast hands comes with one-shot power so I'm sure GB likes their chances in this one. They wouldn't compromise their future superstar if they weren't highly confident in this match-up.
I definitely dont think it will be an easy victory for him. Hes got his hands full.

Campbell isn't remotely proven? As a top contender he is. His first title shot was against the #1 guy in the division, a three-division titlist, and he made it very close. His next title shot was against the current #1 in the division, also a three-division titlist, and a Top 3 P4Per. He did a bit better than expected there too though his significant size advantage certainly helped his case. The two losses he had prior were close Split Decisions before losing wide to Loma. Campbell is arguably the second best boxer in the division. He's in the exact same boat as Derevyanchenko as a top contender in his division yet to win a world title. Had Campbell & Derevyanchenko been granted softer title fights then I have no doubt both would already be holding a world title.

"Arguably the second best boxer in the division." I mean, maybe, I suppose he could be, but we can only entertain that possibility because the top part of the division is filled with unproven prospects (unproven prospects who show the signs of more ability than Campbell has ever showcased as a pro). Campbell certainly has never beaten anyone to make the assertion that he's elite. Who is Campbell's best win? Mendy? Perez? He was competitive with Linares while getting a very generous card and took Lomachenko the distance. That's not particularly proven in my mind.

Back