Sept.4th FOX PPV Luis Ortiz vs Andy Ruiz PBC

Who wins?

• Total voters
As much as Ruiz sucks, Ortiz is oooooold bro. Hopefully he goes out healthy from this, forget about him beating a young dog.

I want to see this one. Pretty good fight right now given Ruiz’ showing against tiddies.

That said, I doubt Ruiz will take it. High risk, low reward.

I want to see this one. Pretty good fight right now given Ruiz’ showing against tiddies.

That said, I doubt Ruiz will take it. High risk, low reward.
I think it will happen... both are Haymon guys, with Wilder vs Fury and Joshua vs Usyk. More than likely happening, I see PBC going that route

I’d be astonished if this fight actually happens. Ortiz has shown his intent throughout his career, he isn’t fighting anyone notable unless it’s for a belt. Can’t say the same for Ruiz. Both of these guys had the opportunity if a lifetime to step in for Miller. One guy took it, the other turned it down, then tried to blame Hearn for lowballing, even though it was 10 times what he earned against wilder. In fact Ruiz got the opportunity because Ortiz didn’t want it?

I’d be astonished if this fight actually happens. Ortiz has shown his intent throughout his career, he isn’t fighting anyone notable unless it’s for a belt. Can’t say the same for Ruiz. Both of these guys had the opportunity if a lifetime to step in for Miller. One guy took it, the other turned it down, then tried to blame Hearn for lowballing, even though it was 10 times what he earned against wilder. In fact Ruiz got the opportunity because Ortiz didn’t want it?
Ortiz turned it down due to a guarantee he got from PBC that he would main event a PPV against Wilder later that year for an even higher purse than was offered by Joshua's camp. And that's what he got.

Great fight. There are a lot of people who still don't respect Ortiz's undeniable skill and legitimacy as a top contender due to his age & selective inactivity. These same people hold up Ruiz as a legit contender and threat (which he is). However, watch that narrative totally change if Ortiz runs through Ruiz.

Great fight. There are a lot of people who still don't respect Ortiz's undeniable skill and legitimacy as a top contender due to his age & selective inactivity. These same people hold up Ruiz as a legit contender and threat (which he is). However, watch that narrative totally change if Ortiz runs through Ruiz.

people don’t respect his abilities because he’s never beaten a top fighter. Instead of fighting contenders his team have tried to spin this bogeyman nonsense, and fought a long list of journeymen. And he is 3-4 years older than he claims. Yoel Romero, who knew him in the Cuban Olympic team has actually confirmed it.

If he fights and beats Ruiz, he’ll get the respect he deserves from fans. As has been stated in this thread, it should be easy to make, so let’s see if it happens

I’d be astonished if this fight actually happens. Ortiz has shown his intent throughout his career, he isn’t fighting anyone notable unless it’s for a belt. Can’t say the same for Ruiz.

When did Ruiz take a tough fight, when a belt wasn't on the line?

When did Ruiz take a tough fight, when a belt wasn't on the line?

ruiz didn’t get knocked out in any of his title fights, could’ve easily win 2 of them and has held 3 of the belts. It’s laughable trying to compare their achievements. Ruiz has clearly had a better career and is rightfully higher ranked
Hes also not in his 40s and at the tail end of his career, with no signature wins

ruiz didn’t get knocked out in any of his title fights, could’ve easily win 2 of them and has held 3 of the belts. It’s laughable trying to compare their achievements. Ruiz has clearly had a better career and is rightfully higher ranked
Hes also not in his 40s and at the tail end of his career, with no signature wins

That's all fair enough, but your claim was Ruiz takes tough fights, even when there is no belt available, and there is zero evidence of that, that I can see, hence why he might be unlikely to take this option of Ortiz. Ortiz would be happy to fight Ruiz IMO, but might get avoided, like the way Dillian Whyte opted out of a Ortiz fight

That's all fair enough, but your claim was Ruiz takes tough fights, even when there is no belt available, and there is zero evidence of that, that I can see, hence why he might be unlikely to take this option of Ortiz. Ortiz would be happy to fight Ruiz IMO, but might get avoided, like the way Dillian Whyte opted out of a Ortiz fight

He took the unified title shot at 5 weeks notice. A fight Ortiz turned down then tried to change the narrative as to why. There’s an example right there

yet dillian Whyte claims that Ortiz ducked him? Neither of us actually know but you seem convinced it was Whyte?? After all dillian Whyte is well know for ducking tough challenges

So who has actually avoided Ortiz? And who has Ortiz actually beaten for other top pros to avoid him?? Maybe it’s because of his extensive ami career, even though his achievements really don’t merit it. He was never a top amateur as far as I can see

he’s the only fighter over 40 that people use the ‘eye test’ for. That’s a statement usually reserved for prospects that have yet to step up. That sums up his career. If he is as good as some think then he has wasted his career

He took the unified title shot at 5 weeks notice. A fight Ortiz turned down then tried to change the narrative as to why. There’s an example right there

I commend Ruiz for taking the AJ fight on short notice. But AJ had belts, Ortiz has no belts so I would be very surprised to see Ruiz agree to fight him. There are no examples of Ruiz taking tough fights when no belt is available, despite your previous claim

yet dillian Whyte claims that Ortiz ducked him? Neither of us actually know but you seem convinced it was Whyte?? After all dillian Whyte is well know for ducking tough challenges

So who has actually avoided Ortiz? And who has Ortiz actually beaten for other top pros to avoid him?? Maybe it’s because of his extensive ami career, even though his achievements really don’t merit it. He was never a top amateur as far as I can see

he’s the only fighter over 40 that people use the ‘eye test’ for. That’s a statement usually reserved for prospects that have yet to step up. That sums up his career. If he is as good as some think then he has wasted his career

White's manager is on record, appealing the WBC's decison to order Ortiz vs Whyte.

www.boxingnews24.com/2018/05/hearn-will-appeal-wbcs-decision-to-order-dillian-whyte-vs-luis-ortiz/

Hearns official excuse was that he wanted Oriz vs WHyte to be for the mandatory position. That is an impossibility, when Breazeale was made mandatory (maybe a mistake) in 2017, he remains such, unless he loses, gets injured or fails a drug test. Hearn asking for the fight to be for the mandatory, is like asking for a 90/10 split, it is a way of saying I don't want to fight you.

People may not be simply scared of Ortiz maybe it is in part due to that ; he looks old, can't speak english, is difficult to look good against and thus can't draw, as to why he can't get big fights, but unfortunately all those reasons apply to him now and part of why I think Ruiz will pass

Last edited:
I commend Ruiz for taking the AJ fight on short notice. But AJ had belts, Ortiz has no belts so I would be very surprised to see Ruiz agree to fight him. There are no examples of Ruiz taking tough fights when no belt is available, despite your previous claim

White's manager is on record, appealing the WBC's decison to order Ortiz vs Whyte.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/0...ecision-to-order-dillian-whyte-vs-luis-ortiz/

Hearns official excuse was that he wanted Oriz vs WHyte to be for the mandatory position. That is an impossibility, when Breazeale was made mandatory (maybe a mistake) in 2017, he remains such, unless he loses, gets injured or fails a drug test. Hearn asking for the fight to be for the mandatory, is like asking for a 90/10 split, it is a way of saying I don't want to fight you, so I'll make an offer you can only refuse, it's reverse Godfather.

People may not be scared of Ortiz maybe it in part due to that he looks old, can't speak english, is difficult to look good against and can't draw, as to why he can't get big fights, but unfortunately all those reason apply to him now and why I think Ruiz will pass

All speculation!

Why can other top HWs make fights? What has Ortiz done in his career for him to be avoided? beaten a blown up CW who managed to last the distance against old wlad? Or maybe knocking out a hundred year old Tony Thompson? Even david price looked more convincing in his win over Dave Allen.

there is absolutely no reason for any of the top fighters to avoid Ortiz. He has the record of a gatekeeper, no better. This bogeyman, avoided tag has zero merit and it’s laughable nonsense

Last edited:
If Ortiz located his testicles and took the AJ fight and won he would of made in the region of 15-20m dollars including the rematch.

It was a complete blatant duck and still attempting to defend it is comical.

Suppose it wasn’t his fault he pissed hot and got himself removed from the WBA rankings derailing a mandatory shot at AJ back in 2017, take it somebody spiked his weetabix.

Last edited:
people don’t respect his abilities because he’s never beaten a top fighter. Instead of fighting contenders his team have tried to spin this bogeyman nonsense, and fought a long list of journeymen. And he is 3-4 years older than he claims. Yoel Romero, who knew him in the Cuban Olympic team has actually confirmed it.

If he fights and beats Ruiz, he’ll get the respect he deserves from fans. As has been stated in this thread, it should be easy to make, so let’s see if it happens
Will also put into perspective just how big of wins they were for Wilder

If Ortiz located his testicles and took the AJ fight and won he would of made in the region of 15-20m dollars including the rematch.

Suppose it wasn’t his fault he pissed hot and got himself removed from the WBA rankings derailing a mandatory shot at AJ back in 2017, take it somebody spiked his weetabix.
Tainted supplements of course. Ask Whyte.

i honestly don't believe he ducked AJ.

but he did refuse like 8M guaranteed, when his previous highest purse was 500k. he either knew he didn't have enough time to dope, or he knew he didn't have enough time to flush it out and pass the testing. i can't see luis ortiz being afraid of fighting (and losing to) AJ. but the "lowball" excuse was such transparent bullshit, i can't think of any other reason than issues with PEDs.

Back