Lucas Martins vs. Johnny Eduardo Added to UFC Fight Night 32

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A bantamweight matchup between Johnny Eduardo (26-9 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Lucas Martins (14-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is the latest addition to UFC Fight Night 32.

UFC officials today announced the bout for the No. 9 card, which takes place at Goiania Arena in Goiania, Goias, Brazil.

The event's main card airs live on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on Facebook. It's not clear where Eduardo vs. Martins will be placed on the lineup.

Martins is fresh off a dominant 70-second submission victory over Junior Hernandez at UFC Fight Night 28, which brought his current UFC winning streak to two. A first-round loss to Edson Barboza marked his octagon debut in January. Prior to that, the 24-year old Brazilian had never tasted defeat.

Eduardo is much more acquainted with setbacks, though his bigger issue at the moment is cage rust. The 35-year-old Brazilian hasn't fought since UFC on FUEL TV 3, where he outpointed the now-retired Jeff Curran in May 2012. He debuted in the octagon at UFC 134, where he lost a unanimous decision to Rafael Assuncao.

It remains to be seen whether that time off will make Eduardo a sharper fighter, or a stopover for Martins.

The latest UFC Fight Night 32 card includes:
Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson
Cezar Ferreira vs. Daniel Sarafian
Rafael Cavalcante vs. Igor Pokrajac
Jose Maria vs. Dustin Ortiz
Godofredo Pepey vs. Sam Sicilia
Justin Salas vs. Thiago Tavares
Brandon Thatch vs. Paulo Thiago
Daron Cruickshank vs. Adriano Martins
Omari Akhmedov vs. Thiago Perpetuo
Rony Jason vs. Jeremy Stephens
Ryan LaFlare vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
Johnny Eduardo vs. Lucas Martins

I'll take Lucas. He looks...better? Since dropping two damn weight classes. I find it pretty funny that he said fuck FW all together and went straight from lightweight to bantam.

Lucas has a grasshopper bodybuild.
Johnny Eduardo has more striking experience, I think he takes this fight.

Lucas has a grasshopper bodybuild.
Johnny Eduardo has more striking experience, I think he takes this fight.

Never seen the guy fight. I find it pretty funny though that he has "Muy Thai" poorly tattooed across his stomach yet he has half as many KO wins as he does subs.

Not really impressed with Eduardo and think Martins should win but stranger things have happened.

I'm assuming the main card for this fight night will be:

Vitor vs. Hendo
Mutante vs. Sarafian
Feijao vs. Pokrijac
Jason vs. Stephens
Thiago vs. Thatch
Maria vs. Ortiz

Pretty good main card IMO. I love this fight night cards.

Martins has looked impressive, besides taking that short notice fight at LW against Barboza.

I think his streak of havoc is going to continue, at least through this fight.

Martins has looked impressive, besides taking that short notice fight at LW against Barboza.

I think his streak of havoc is going to continue, at least through this fight.

iirc, he was getting tore up by Jeremy Larsen til he got the surprise KO in the third.

iirc, he was getting tore up by Jeremy Larsen til he got the surprise KO in the third.

Yeah, he was getting beat up and looked wobbly a couple of times.

Still, I find it kind of impressive for a guy to show KO power at 155lbs and see it carry down to 135lbs.

Martins got lit up by a wrestler.

Eduardo is a high-level striker.

Martins is getting fucked up, here.

Martins got lit up by a wrestler.

Eduardo is a high-level striker.

Martins is getting fucked up, here.

Exactly what i was thinking, Larsen was doing very well standing with Martins. It'll be a solid fight as Martins does seemS quicker/ more athletic but he likes to leave himself open after throwing punches which is where Eduardo should take advantage. Potential Fotn candidate

Exactly what i was thinking, Larsen was doing very well standing with Martins. It'll be a solid fight as Martins does seemS quicker/ more athletic but he likes to leave himself open after throwing punches which is where Eduardo should take advantage. Potential Fotn candidate

My only doubt regarding Eduardo is I can't remember any of his UFC fights! Which lead me to believe, he's more of a point-striker than an aggressive striker, so Martins has a chance I suppose. IIRC, Eduardo's a big bantamweight, too?

Interesting bout. I'd pick Johnny by dec using his LK's.

Lucas, in spite of looking good at BW, exposes himself too much and Johnny won't dismiss the holes.

Back