Luc Besson Found Guilty of Plagiarizing ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK for LOCKOUT

People who trash Lockout have no sense of humor. It was a funny comedy.

The Departed didn't even give credit to a Hong Kong movie it was entirely based on. No plagiarism payouts there though.

None for the Tarantino movie that copied it's plot from an HK film as well.

I guess payouts only happen if you dare mess with almighty Hollywood.

Not to mention The Terminator basically being a combination of two Harlan Ellison episodes from The Outer Limits. Some shoots where even copied almost completely.

To this day I'm suprised that Michael Bay got busted for ripping-off Parts: The Clonus Horror for The Island. It was settled out of court though, so we don't know how much he had to give them.

John Carpenter doesn't play. He's been fucked over before.

A book/movie/album/etc will make nearly all of its money in a short time after release (which is part of why there will always be incentive - eg Dickens could make bank just by being 'first mover' of his works even if they were widley printed by others because there was no IP back then).

That's not quite accurate. Copyright had existed in Britain since 1710 with the passing of the Statute of Anne:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_Anne

Dicken was actually horrified when he came to the US and realized that his works were being pirated and he wasn't being paid a cent for it.

Dicken was actually horrified when he came to the US and realized that his works were being pirated and he wasn't being paid a cent for it.

that's what I was referring to (maybe should have been more explicit)

that's what I was referring to (maybe should have been more explicit)

All right. But just to be clear, IP still existed. The concept of a writer owning their own work was alive and well in Dickens' native England and Dickens fought many court cases against piracy.

It's a shame there was nothing in place in the US.

Back