Loyd irvin protoge Mike Fowler

actually i think it was a knee bar

I'm pretty sure it was a "none of the above" type footlock, which resulted in everyone on Sherdog getting into an argument on whether or not it was intentional when it had happened. Regardless, it worked, haha.

I'm pretty sure it was a "none of the above" type footlock, which resulted in everyone on Sherdog getting into an argument on whether or not it was intentional when it had happened. Regardless, it worked, haha.

it was definitely intentional. Saulo actually went for the leglock first, and then mike went for it and saulo tapped (or screamed, cant remember)

he was my instructor before he left for guam and he was really cool, great instructor. and the move you guys are talking about is like a reverse toe hold, its brutal.

Just saw the highlight reel of ADCC 2007. Folwer is known for keeping his opponents in guard or half guard while attacking. His guard game is awesome even Marcelo would agree to that!

Aside from BJ Penn and Lloyd Irvin they say Mike Fowler is the only other American to receive a BJJ black belt within a short period of time. Is this true? What system does Lloyd Irvin use that promotes BJJ students faster through the ranks?

i don't know much about mike fowler, other than my instructor (daisuke "amazon" sugie") always tells me that he beat him in a BJJ tournament while fowler was training in japan. considering he doesn't do that with any of his other wins, i figured it was my job to be really impressed.

he's told me like, three times.

Just rewatched some of the fights from that division then.. FOwler won via kneebar.
Galvao dominated Fowler though!!

Just rewatched some of the fights from that division then.. FOwler won via kneebar.
Galvao dominated Fowler though!!

watch it again. he has him in the kneebar position. and takes the reverse toe hold from there. which doesn't require a position change of the body. but a simple change in grip.

Aside from BJ Penn and Lloyd Irvin they say Mike Fowler is the only other American to receive a BJJ black belt within a short period of time. Is this true? What system does Lloyd Irvin use that promotes BJJ students faster through the ranks?

yep he got his black belt in 4 years.

Mike also trained with Royler Gracie and David Adiv for quite some time early on.

Basically, Mike gave up everything to train jiu-jitsu all day every day. Same with Ryan Hall.

Lloyd also makes his students repeat moves quite a lot. In the "Grappling Game Plan", Lloyd talks about making his students repeat moves hundreds if not thousands of times before they can use them in sparring and tournaments.

Basically, Mike gave up everything to train jiu-jitsu all day every day. Same with Ryan Hall.

Lloyd also makes his students repeat moves quite a lot. In the "Grappling Game Plan", Lloyd talks about making his students repeat moves hundreds if not thousands of times before they can use them in sparring and tournaments.

that is the way to do it. better to know one move correctly than 2 half-assesd.

People were fighting in front of Rodrigo about if something was "a jiu jitsu move" i.e. neck crank etc.
His response was "did he tap?" "if so, then its jiu jitsu"

Back