Lower weight classes should be happy that HW MMA is not that good ...

There are a few misconceptions regarding these matters, at least as i see it.

Lower weight classes offer different kinds of fights and display different qualities. They are providing amazing fights, but this is related to the fighters not the weight or speed alone.
Speed is often mistaken for skill. Skill isn't tied to speed or size.

There are also the expectations from HW fighters to be fast and durable like the lower weight class fighters while retaining their power. You can't have everything. Even the best cardio-machine at HW will not be able to fight another human being for the same amount of time as a lower weight athlete. Are there exceptions? Yes, probably. Should HWs be judged so harshly and sometimes unreasonably based on the few exceptions, especially in a demanding combat sport like MMA? No, in my opinion at least.

thats not even tiny slightly marginally true.

Wilder/Gipsey King was a legitimate 10/10 matchup. 40-0 vs 27-0. The greatest HW boxing fight in years. Deontay an undefeated aggressive KO artist, and Fury with an incredibly inspiring comeback story from depression and addiction, vowing to donate his entire purse to charity. It sold 300k ppv buys.

Any Conor fight sells 1 million plus.

The HWs may technically be the "best" fighters because the HW MMA champ can beat any other man on the planet in a fight. But that doesn't mean he is the most skilled.

For my money, and I think a lot of people, PPV skill is more enjoyable than sheer ability to beat the most people on the planet. Until you get to midgets like mighty mouse.
I have to disagree with Wilder Vs Fury being a legit 10/10 match up. One guy is a can crusher and the other guy is an out of shape guy how has some skills but his best win was a boring fight over an aging champ. I’ll pass and fuck was it definitely worth passing.

Back