lower back (lumbar) soreness and stiffness won't go away - enlighten me brothers!

this is a lot of the problem I have and it also gives me stiff hips... in fact I just made a thread about it yesterday as well... lots of good info here

Also... what about if we take like 20+ credit hours of school a quarter? Because I think I may get in trouble if I stand up and do those randomly... are there any tips?

I had/have (its coming back) a very similar issue and from my experience the Keith has given you the best advice. The spinal decompression feels so good after you do it, if your still confused on how do to it, the feet bit doesn't really matter, although I don't think I'd have them in front of me, just hang down as if you were in the very bottom or the starting position of a pull up, relax everything except for your grip, where ever your feet end up is where they should be.

On top of what Keith suggested I'd go and see a good Chiropractor, thats what helped me the most. They got me to get an x-ray of my spine and it was a little twisted from my posture/lifting/the way I slept etc. and all these things were adding to it. It took a few weeks to notice the difference but it really helps. The only reason it's coming back is because I didn't get to finish off the treatment as I dislocated my shoulder and they couldn't work on my back without hurting my shoulder.

Good luck with it, stick to what Keith said and go see a chiro :icon_chee

Edit: About your 4 questions, the Chiro will be able to answer those properly for your, but regarding the stretching, I'd say yes and both ways, but it really depends how your doing it. If it were me, I'd probably keep lifting, maybe not going as hard as I could though, if your going to see someone about it soon your not really going to do that much more damage.

hmmm... looks like I may start playing WoW kneeling on a pillow... haha *flamesuit on*

I tried the decompression thing, are you supposed to feel an intense stretch in your lower back? I would even say that it is somewhat painful, and seems more intense after some squatting. Although I must say it feels awesome after the initial discomfort goes away. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Jaxx: I have a family full of doctors, but based on these complaints the likely answer is to rest and stop lifting heavy things. That's not very contructive advice. That said, I'll have to see my own doctor soon anyway to get my (pretty badly) sprained ankle checked, so I might bring it up.

Cool, chronic back pain is not something you have to put up with.

Please mention this to the doc next time you go and take advantage of modern medical science.

If you feel that it is a muscular issue: What really helps my back if it feels tight after lifting is DB/KB swings with light weight (10-15kg) for maybe 50-100reps.

I've heard a few people recommending against using a foam roller for the lower back. Thoughts?
I've started to use two taped up tennis balls, same deal as the lacrosse ball I think, works great.
Partly depends on your physiology - if you already have lordosis, then you don't want to use a foam roller. It could make things worse.

My PT has me using the roller to help flexibility in my middle back, but asked me not to use it on my lower.

I tried the decompression thing, are you supposed to feel an intense stretch in your lower back? I would even say that it is somewhat painful, and seems more intense after some squatting. Although I must say it feels awesome after the initial discomfort goes away. Is this normal or should I be worried?
The decompression DL or the Reverse Hyper?

The decompression DL or the Reverse Hyper?

Neither, Keith mentioned you could also just hang off a pullup bar.

Keith Wassung said:
Decompress the spine on a daily routine basis and especially after training. Find a bar (no-not THAT kind of bar) but simply a chinning bar or even the top of a study door and put your hands on the bar/door and stretch your back downward--just relax and hang-your feet do not necessarily have to leave the ground to get the proper stretch--do for 45-60 seconds.

Neither, Keith mentioned you could also just hang off a pullup bar.

I don't remember them hurting... what kind of pain is it. When I did it i just remember it feeling like there was suddenly no pressure on my spine and maybe my spine cracking a few times, which in this case is apparently good, but in my experiences there's been no pain. Are you just hanging limp and relaxed?

I get the pain too. If I force myself to relax in the lower back while hanging from the bar, I can feel my back loosen a bit, and it hurts. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, and it is definitely not a new thing - I remember this feeling from doing the same thing in my teenage years long before I did any squats or deadlifts.

We'll see if this helps a bit...

Hmmm - I don't get any pain on a hang, but it sounds just like what I get when I do reverse hypers.

If you're feeling better afterwards, I wouldn't fret too much - but only if the pain doesn't increase.

Not increasing. I don't get it when doing reverse hypers though, so that's funny.

I'm doing bridges, reverse hypers, planks and decompressions at this point. I'm also easing back into my normal lifts minus squat and DL, and I've been hitting the heavy bag almost daily.

Not increasing. I don't get it when doing reverse hypers though, so that's funny.

I'm doing bridges, reverse hypers, planks and decompressions at this point. I'm also easing back into my normal lifts minus squat and DL, and I've been hitting the heavy bag almost daily.

Sounds like you're doing what's right.

Be sure you're getting enough extension at the bottom on the reverse hypers - that's where you get the pain.

The pain doesn't get worse, goes away after say 30secs. Is that the same as you Mumrik?
I'm starting to think that the pain might be a result of an excessively tight lower back...so I guess keep at it and see how it goes.

Back