Low single for street fight?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Yunggun**, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Yunggun**

Yunggun** White Belt

Would the low single be a good takedown for a self defense street fight situation? I think it would because you don't risk getting kneed in the face, uppercutted, or guillotined. It is also about speed and reaction time rather than size since you can't sprawl and put weight down on a guy holding your ankle.

2. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

it's somewhere in between the atomic buster and the jackknife piledriver.

3. Town Biz

Town Biz Blue Belt

I wouldn't.Especially on pavement.I'd think I high crotch or outside single would be much better because less distance.I'm no wrestler though.

4. Yunggun**

Yunggun** White Belt

Those are good options as well, but I feel the low single would catch an untrained attacker extremely off guard because it's not an orthodox leg tackle type takedown

5. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

theres lava and needles down there.

6. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

I wouldn't do anything that might risk smashing your knee on a hard surface. A blast double would probably be your best bet in terms of wrestling takedowns.

7. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

If you like getting soccer kicked in the face, the low single is your go to move.

8. Dedication

Dedication White Belt

Eat a nasty knee coming in.

Look into Ben Askren's youtube video on a single-leg takedown without shooting-in.

Really though, I'd look into Judo for a practical takedown. One thing my Judo Sensei is always stressing is how easy it is to off-balance someone by using just your own arms, and it's quite true. Really, O Soto Gari or O Uchi Gari are money. If you want something a little more forceful, Harai-Goshi or Seoi-Nage would work well...jeesus could you imagine just unloading one of those on a guy who is plastered? Probably a fight-ender just from the discombobulation.

But wrestling wise...I'd clinch where they are most likely not going to know what to do, ties up both their hands, and look for the ankle-pick or a trip. I just see clinching as much safer because it ties up both of there hands keeping them from getting to that knife in the back-pocket, and if they do go for a weapon, you can use any number of take-downs almost at will because they will have taken one whole arm out of the equation. Plus does anyone remember clinching before they learned how? Fighting in the clinch is HARD, especially when you don't really train and know what you are doing.

9. Turtleguard

Turtleguard Brown Belt

I think a single is great for a street fight, most people won't be expecting it, so I really doubt you will get kneed in the face or soccer kicked.

10. snoop dogg***

snoop dogg*** Baby Heath goon$quad

ive never met an average joe who could throw a good knee or kick.
    ivee seen a guy jump guard in a streetfight and hold an omoplata until the police came so nothing surprisess me anymore

11. Alex88

Alex88 Brown Belt

why going for a takedown ? just pull guard and butt scoott. hope it helps bro :D

12. Turtleguard

Turtleguard Brown Belt

lol, thats savage. Boss status

13. snoop dogg***

i literally face palmed when it happened, but damn he knew what he was doing

14. ironmanbret

ironmanbret White Belt

wish i could see that on video...how long did he hold him there? good thing that guy being held didn't have friends who interfered...

15. Turtleguard

Turtleguard Brown Belt

Did he pull on concrete? Size of him and opponent?

16. snoop dogg***

it was outside a strip club in the city. i was with some friends and saw a guy with a ralph gracie jiu jitsu t shirt on, I talked to him for a good half hour. he was a brown belt with some other friends who were also jj players.
    He told me he used to train at ralph's but left to one of his affiliates.

anyway, outside a guy was giving a hard time to these girls who actually came out of the strip club (they werent strippers, just girls having fun i guess)

he grabbed one of them and started to just walk away with her like a caveman claiming a womanm, it was crazy. the brown belt pushed him and started raising his voice at the guy who then put his hands up and started bouncing around.

the brown belt put 1 hand on the ground (as if he was going to do a kani basami scizzor takedown) and jumped guard with his hand still on the ground.
    thee guy didnt know how to support his weight so he fell into his guard.
    then he switched to an omoplata and flattened him out. and asked one of us to call the cops.
    cops came in like 5 minutes. one of them was actually laughing that he was in an omlata

it was on sidewalk but he didnt hit the ground hard. he had 1 hand free to support him.
    also the brown belt was barely taller but skinnier.
    the assailant was like an inch or 2 shorter but stocky.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  17. Turtleguard

Turtleguard Brown Belt

lol that is so win! What were people saying? He could have smashed he dude bad with back of the head blows if he wanted to

18. ironmanbret

ironmanbret White Belt

that is fucking BADASS--i love it!

19. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Hilarious, but wow, I would not recommend a guard pull on the sidewalk!

Ending with omoplata = mega boss. Only thing more awesome would have been a spladle, that's time to hand in your man card and sign up for transformative surgery.

20. snoop dogg***

People were confused i couldnt beliee it was happening. Some people were laughing. He he totally controlled the guy. That day made me realaze how good the omoplata is for self defense. Its really the only sub where the opponent cant strike your balls, bite, or eyepoke you.