Low Recruit Discipline Prompts Army to Redesign Basic Training

We need to bring back Agoge for our kids. Starting age 7.

On a serious note, what's the average age for people enlisting now? I'm sure it's above 20. That's a problem in and off itself. Very hard to shape someone who has grown up soft as fuck for 20+ years into a killer.

Lowering the age to 14, and providing the military as an "alternative" high school might be a good choice for a lot of people.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it is even possible to stay overweight in the military. Never exactly been overweight but I still lost like 30+ pounds of weight, in months, from camping, marching and skiing in the forests, to the point where I looked like an Ethiopian marathon runner.

So did most of the other recruits. You don't get to eat much food and you're always walking or jogging or carrying something.

Perhaps there's just too little to do in the modern military? Unlike some others might, I do not think you need to demand much from the average soldier. A very basic level of conditioning is enough.

What you need is some form of low/medium-energy physical activity at all times, to prevent people getting bored/lazy/fat. And I mean very basic activity, for example lifting and constructing military equipment. In my case, we were always setting up radars, radio towers, lines of communication, anti-air guns, tents, going to shooting ranges etc. throughout my entire stay in the army, if there was nothing else of importance to be done.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it is even possible to stay overweight in the military. Never exactly been overweight but I still lost like 30+ pounds of weight, in months, from camping, marching and skiing in the forests, to the point where I looked like an Ethiopian marathon runner.

So did most of the other recruits. You don't get to eat much food and you're always walking or jogging or carrying something.

Perhaps there's just too little to do in the modern military? Unlike some others might, I do not think you need to demand much from the average soldier. A very basic level of conditioning is enough.

What you need is some form of low/medium-energy physical activity at all times, to prevent people getting bored/lazy/fat.
The problem is that a lot of that marching, running, going out to the field, and other physical requirements have been watered down or eliminated. And food is aplenty for most troops in most situations. And if you don't want to run, soldiers know that you can run to medical, complain of back pain, say all the right stuff, and then get a permanent profile so that they don't have run or ruck anymore. It's fucking pathetic.

The problem is that a lot of that marching, running, going out to the field, and other physical requirements have been watered down or eliminated. And food is aplenty for most troops in most situations. And if you don't want to run, soldiers know that you can run to medical, complain of back pain, say all the right stuff, and then get a permanent profile so that they don't have run or ruck anymore. It's fucking pathetic.

I don't think you even need to have that many marches. The problem with marches is that they're usually boring as shit, so having a march for the sake of a march, is bound to lead to a low morale on the part of the recruits. If instead, you're marching to an end destination where you actually get to do something, then the march itself doesn't feel as frustrating. At the end of the day, people need to feel like what they're doing has a function or a purpose of some sort.

I think the low level of fitness in the military is explained largely by the same reasons as to why people overall have a low level of fitness, these days. Too many machines are being used to compensate for manpower, which leads to men having a lot less to do, physically. Instead of lifting boxes of equipment, hauling all of their gear alongside them at all times, everything is being delivered, built and sorted out by vehicles or machines that assist in such work. Which might be fine in a military situation, but not when you're trying to build people to withstand those military situations.

The one good part about the local Finnish army is that, atleast in parts of the region, the infrastructure is borderline ancient and you don't really have anything comfortable outside of old shacks where people get to sleep the night. But it's inevitable that technology will replace much of the physical work required in the army, and that comfort levels will increase, so the military needs to start looking into some type of a conditioning program to whip recruits in shape, instead of relying on people picking themselves up for it.

The military just isn't "tough" enough these days, to force people into regimenting themselves in order to keep up. Previously, if you were out of shape in the army, you only made it harder on yourself. Today, you can be in a pretty bad condition, and still hang in there relatively comfortably. So there's less of an incentive to start looking into ways of self-improvement, in that regard. It has to be the army itself, which takes the initiative to improve people's condition.

Friends something is going to give soon. 1/3 of high school students are not qualified to even try to enlist mostly due to weight problems. Most that can do not want to join. The few that do are less disciplined than their fathers were. The question is can we undo the damage that has been done to our society before its to late.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...ers-prompts-army-redesign-basic-training.html
I think starting whinny threads on Sherdog is the first step.

What you need is some form of low/medium-energy physical activity at all times, to prevent people getting bored/lazy/fat. And I mean very basic activity, for example lifting and constructing military equipment. In my case, we were always setting up radars, radio towers, lines of communication, anti-air guns, tents, going to shooting ranges etc. throughout my entire stay in the army, if there was nothing else of importance to be done.

th

I don't think you even need to have that many marches. The problem with marches is that they're usually boring as shit, so having a march for the sake of a march, is bound to lead to a low morale on the part of the recruits. If instead, you're marching to an end destination where you actually get to do something, then the march itself doesn't feel as frustrating. At the end of the day, people need to feel like what they're doing has a function or a purpose of some sort.

I think the low level of fitness in the military is explained largely by the same reasons as to why people overall have a low level of fitness, these days. Too many machines are being used to compensate for manpower, which leads to men having a lot less to do, physically. Instead of lifting boxes of equipment, hauling all of their gear alongside them at all times, everything is being delivered, built and sorted out by vehicles or machines that assist in such work. Which might be fine in a military situation, but not when you're trying to build people to withstand those military situations.

The one good part about the local Finnish army is that, atleast in parts of the region, the infrastructure is borderline ancient and you don't really have anything comfortable outside of old shacks where people get to sleep the night. But it's inevitable that technology will replace much of the physical work required in the army, and that comfort levels will increase, so the military needs to start looking into some type of a conditioning program to whip recruits in shape, instead of relying on people picking themselves up for it.

The military just isn't "tough" enough these days, to force people into regimenting themselves in order to keep up. Previously, if you were out of shape in the army, you only made it harder on yourself. Today, you can be in a pretty bad condition, and still hang in there relatively comfortably. So there's less of an incentive to start looking into ways of self-improvement, in that regard. It has to be the army itself, which takes the initiative to improve people's condition.

I was Marine infantry. Machine gun section. We humped EVERYWHERE. Most guys were wiry and muscular. No fat bodies.

On a serious note, what's the average age for people enlisting now? I'm sure it's above 20. That's a problem in and off itself. Very hard to shape someone who has grown up soft as fuck for 20+ years into a killer.

Lowering the age to 14, and providing the military as an "alternative" high school might be a good choice for a lot of people.

We have the Army Foundation College for school leavers (16 year old+) but its come in for criticism from some quarters for promoting child soldiers as have the various branches of Cadets(air,sea and army) .

@mcveteran81 @usmctanker242

We have active US military in our family and they don't spew this un-american garbage what a bunch of young blood flexing. Hard to see how you fit your love for your country in with all that hate spread across 15 different groups of citizenry what a fucking joke.

Grow a pair of nuts that protect and serve without picking and choosing who lives/dies by your national roster, that's the fakest bitch fit of patriotism display you can put forward while representing the marine corp, its organization and sacrifice means something and it isn't that paper doll fragility to your own citizens

<28>

Can't even spell fucking corporal lol
lol and the cuck speaks.

Come talk to me after you've served you're country and have done combat tours.

And you're welcome for the protection I've provided you, you ungrateful bitch.

Last edited:
Did I say any of this yah fucking goof? I said that women are generally in charge of youth development and they try to treat males just like females which curbs their physical education. I also said that parents are basically absent and / or terrified of their kids getting hurt, so they keep them inside and don't let them participate in sports. You also have the American diet which is full of sugar and it's making kids fat and lethargic. I didn't say what @mcveteran81 said, so how about you don't group me in with him, OK you dishonest jackass?
If people don't like what I have to say, oh well. Preception is reality. Every man has his own truth to an extent.

Could I have worded what I said more *differently* or more *politically correct* sure, but in the same breath fuck that. Tolerance and political correctness is what got us in this problem which our country now faces and has become. A pathetic shit show. Because no one has anymore balls to stand up for what is morally right. Every one is too damn worried about being comfortable and being seen as universal accepted and trendy/edgy. That shit is for peasants and weak minded shills.

There will always be winners and losers. It's life and you don't get a participation trophy for just showing up.

And wtf? You all the sudden bend over for this bitch @MacDuffle because he calls you out over his pussified feelings being hurt.

This is a forum called war room Toughen up.

Last edited:
hey at least your buddy liked it

good luck finding the lady board of education illuminati
You are literally proof of the system doing its job right.

Go have your little tolerance parades, virtue calling, self back patting moments like a good hive mind slave. I've heard MSN and CNN have 24 hour coverage apps, you should be watching them so you can regurgitate more talking points to me.

You are literally proof of the system doing its job right.

Go have your little tolerance parades, virtue calling, self back patting moments like a good hive mind slave. I've heard MSN and CNN have 24 hour coverage apps, you should be watching them so you can regurgitate more talking points to me.
Aren’t you talking to the dude that got Article 15’d put that talked like being in the military was brainwashing?

Aren’t you talking to the dude that got Article 15’d put that talked like being in the military was brainwashing?
I don't recall ever saying the military is brain washing. Unless you want to call the process of boot camps breaking you down as an individual to learn how to work as a unit brainwashing. But I wouldn't even call that brainwashing, at least not in a sense that could viewed upon as harmful.

I don't recall ever saying the military is brain washing. Unless you want to call the process of boot camps breaking you down as an individual to learn how to work as a unit brainwashing. But I wouldn't even call that brainwashing, at least not in a sense that could viewed upon as harmful.
@Gregolian

To further add, it's more like conditional training to get a civilian ready to become a military minded service man.

It's not like I forgot who I was before boot camp or forgot what it was like to be human and have family, friends, and self worth.

To me brainwashing is a whole different level conditioning. I see that term to be more like actual mind control. Where you don't know who/what you are or are doing.

Not you, the guy you're talking to.

Trump and pals are trying to turn our armed forces into christian terrorist cells.

Did I say any of this yah fucking goof? I said that women are generally in charge of youth development and they try to treat males just like females which curbs their physical education. I also said that parents are basically absent and / or terrified of their kids getting hurt, so they keep them inside and don't let them participate in sports. You also have the American diet which is full of sugar and it's making kids fat and lethargic. I didn't say what @mcveteran81 said, so how about you don't group me in with him, OK you dishonest jackass?

Surprised to see you distance yourself from the inevitable extension of your endangered tough guys scenario

Just look at military coups across history, they share your frustration with military-ready populations. If only there was a way to eradicate the weaker members of your own national population and keep only the ubermen

....hmmmm

Nothing comes to mind

Back