Low kick issues

Thaijitsu612

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I train in muay thai and im having an issue with low kicks. I don't have a problem kicking the bag, and everyone says my technique is good. However, whenever im throwing on a person and I do the step out I feel like im reaching with the kick. Mostly like they are too far to my right when throwing from orthodox.

Sorry I dont have any video but was hoping someone could tell from the description what the problem might be. if it means anything whenever I throw on a bag I have to stand somewhat to the right of the bag im not sure if thats the correct way to be doing it.

EDIT:it might be worth mentioning my game was very leg kick heavy before breaking my leg so I may be pulling back or throwing oddly out of a little fear in the back of my mind.

And also besides hoost, are there any other good guys to study who have a low kick heavy strategy?

Last edited:
To reach with the kick, you are either going to look like you are leaning back and sticking your hips out, or falling forward. I guess you could just be straightening your kicking leg out all the way.

Take a picture of yourself. I bet it is either you are leaning back, sticking your hip out forward instead of being leg, hip, shoulder straight up and down, or extending your leg all the way.

Sit on the support leg, get close enough, and don't reach basically. Bend that support knee.

To reach with the kick, you are either going to look like you are leaning back and sticking your hips out, or falling forward. I guess you could just be straightening your kicking leg out all the way.

Take a picture of yourself. I bet it is either you are leaning back, sticking your hip out forward instead of being leg, hip, shoulder straight up and down, or extending your leg all the way.

Sit on the support leg, get close enough, and don't reach basically. Bend that support knee.

I'll try to get a pic or video tomorrow if I can. I guess I could be leaning too much that sounds right. I dont really understand what you mean by leg, hip, shoulder straight up and down though.

If you're out of position...you need to practice it more in drills or light sparring. Kicking a bag isn't going to help you find your placement on a moving target really even if you're swinging it and moving it/you around.

Triangle step to get angle...pivot when you're close and using it in combination with the hands. Take a step forward to drive it through instead of whipping it...etc etc.

Back