Low-carb diet trumps low-fat for heart health

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

How come bodybuilders are in awesome shape and eat a very high carbs, also natural bodybuilders so it's not the roids ? Also marathon runners perform greatly on carb based diets. Explain ?

Ah yeah it's because 3 regular posters on this board fell in love with paleo and that is low carb, no grain.

The body uses carb for energy more effectively then fat unless you are on keto withc is under 30g of carb a day. So on Keto you can eat pretty much no fruit and only low carb veggies like green leafy ones.

i'd hate to beat a dead horse but I found this statement seriously dumb

The article said the low fat group was low calorie, but didnt mention the energy intake of low carb.

I think it has more to do with fat intake rather than low carb.
I thought the implication was that both groups cut calories to lose weight, one by cutting fat calories and the other by cutting carb calories. To me it was unclear whether the ratio of fat to calories or carbs to calories was the important factor.

Also are bodybuilders right that the body can use complex carbs better for energy then fat, cause high fat IS advocated on here ?

Ok, since Idriscky did enough work on this thread, I think i'll answer your question. The body's main source of energy is glycogen, which is derived from carbohydrates. While in a carb deficit, or ketosis, fat is broken down to acetyl-CoA , the liver convert acetyl-CoA into ketone bodies which fuels the body. That being said, just because glycogen is the main source of the body does not mean it is the preferred source. After 2-3 weeks of an "adaption" period, most people claim to feel better and have more energy than they ever had before on a high carb diet. But each has it's pros and cons. So until anyone can judge it, they should try both ways of life themself and see what works for them.

I thought the implication was that both groups cut calories to lose weight, one by cutting fat calories and the other by cutting carb calories. To me it was unclear whether the ratio of fat to calories or carbs to calories was the important factor.

if they wanted to cut calories they could just eat less.

Ok, since Idriscky did enough work on this thread, I think i'll answer your question. The body's main source of energy is glycogen, which is derived from carbohydrates. While in a carb deficit, or ketosis, fat is broken down to acetyl-CoA , the liver convert acetyl-CoA into ketone bodies which fuels the body. That being said, just because glycogen is the main source of the body does not mean it is the preferred source. After 2-3 weeks of an "adaption" period, most people claim to feel better and have more energy than they ever had before on a high carb diet. But each has it's pros and cons. So until anyone can judge it, they should try both ways of life themself and see what works for them.

At which time most tissue in the body utilizes FFA and ketones are almost exclusively left for tissue that can't use FFA such as the brain.

if they wanted to cut calories they could just eat less.
True!

The study was more about the higher HDL found in the carb-cutting group, not really the weight loss... I am trying to figure out if it is pointing to more fat or less carbs as the main factor.

At which time most tissue in the body utilizes FFA and ketones are almost exclusively left for tissue that can't use FFA such as the brain.

correct! Ketone bodies and glycogen are the only sources of fuel for the brain since nothing else can pass through the blood / brain barrier.

correct! Ketone bodies and glycogen are the only sources of fuel for the brain since nothing else can pass through the blood / brain barrier.

ketones and glucose
and ketones are at least 3 carbons molecules no two,(different poster)

Ok, good points, I've been overall wrong. Although xtrainer has said that carbs are bad because they have a high glicemic load, meaning a lot of carbs at once sooo. But yeah, eat for your sport or goal.

Don't put words in my mouth. That's a heck of an oversimplification. I would never say something as general "carbs are bad," and don't even get me started on GI/GL.

sorry i have to try it . but yeah i would expect those results from this type of diet, at the beginning i was all against the ketosis thing, still trying to figure it out how it works, because running on ketosis is like running on emergency supply for me, works in the mean time you "restablished" power supply, and was thinking that the ratio of LDL/HDL will suffer, in fact i think that during college i read something around those words (for atkins diet tho).

Now I'm kinda chubby and need to step back in to the fit section.

for me, an easy way to loose weight, is to just cut down on carbs, like 20-30% less than you normally eat, and then eat more vegetables and meat.

and ofcourse cut down on sugar.

but don't stop eating carbs completely! just cut down a little..

Ok I'm mad and gotten to. You got me and pwned me on teh internet. Are you happy now ?

I'm off to put nivea cream on my abused anus :(

Back