Low Battlefield 5 Preoders due to controversy (Update on "White Man" Censorship Controversy)

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
UPDATE (CENSORSHIP CONTROVERSY): If you haven't heard, Battlefield 5 is in hotwaters again for their recent Beta. Battlefield 5 is incorporating a new profanity filter to censor prohibited words from text chat. The controversy comes from some of the following words being censored.

One notable example is the word "white man" which censors to "*********", however the words "black man", "asian man" "hispanic man" are all allowed. Also, the word "dlc" is censored ***, unless the word "free" is typed first, then "free dlc" appears. The word "Nazi" is also censored. Many believe this is a form of manipulation and does more harm than good.

The following is from ign article: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...rofanity-filter-is-a-work-in-progress-ea-says

EA says the profanity filter is meant to "reduce toxicity" in Battlefield 5, but that they are taking feedback about its current inaccuracies seriously. EA said they will work to "tweak the sensitivity of the filter and improve its usage without censoring relevant conversation."

Apart from directly addressing the "DLC" mistake, EA didn't explicitly say what phrases will and won't be filtered once tweaks have been made. They have at least made it clear that it's not always operating as intended in the beta, and it seems like a safe bet that the "white man" phrase people are currently talking about is a mistake as well. We've asked EA to confirm this and will update the story with their response.

[ORIGINAL POST BELOW]

If you haven't been caught up in the news...

Battlefield 5 is a game in the franchise Battlefield by EA & Dice, this current version is based on World War Two, except for one thing.

or9ggo1nlmcjcvst627e.jpg

Your protagonist is an amputated woman. Many people were upset with this decision stating that this was historically inaccurate and felt too forced.

EA responded: (Source : https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/13/ea-dont-like-women-battlefield-5-dont-buy/)

After explaining the creative reasoning, Soderlund moved into personal examples. “I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, ‘Dad, why’s this happening?'” he continued. “She plays Fortnite, and says, ‘I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?’ … I just said, ‘You know what? You’re right. This is not ok.’ These are people who are uneducated – they don’t understand that this is a plausible scenario.

“Listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn’t been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]. And we don’t take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game. I’m fine with either or. It’s just not OK.”

As of right now
, analyst are predicting lower than expected sales based on preorders

Last edited:
> Want to marry a girl gamer

>Don't want females depicted in popular video games

>???

I'd argue a vocal minority gives a shit about this.

Red Dead Redemption 2 releases the week after BFV. I'd bet the house it has more of an impact on pre-orders than anything else. After that, EA's shit reputation in general has left consumers with little reason to pre-order their next dump in a box. On top of that, BFV's competition release Black Ops 4 the week before.

Historically accurate or not BFV is facing bigger issues in regards to pre-orders, imo.

I haven't played a military shooter in a long time, unless CSGO counts; who the fuck really cares about the campaign? CoD and BF games are usually for the multiplayer experience, no?

I would wager the low preorders are because, in no particular order: over saturation, the nature of pre-ordering is retarded, and EA's general lack of positive reputation.

CD Projekt Red could probably put out a trailer of Cyberpunk with a transexual black midget farting into a mason jar, and it would still be highly anticipated because people actually still have faith in them.

So the protagonist isn’t just a woman. It’s a woman with a disability?

{<jordan}

So the video game industry is literally parodying itself now?

AngryJoe put a video about the low sales and the anti-SJW crowd came after this ass hard lol I agree with what he said though. Some of the low pre-order sales is due to anti-SJW but mostly just over saturation. Game looks pretty bland. You can throw in that people are just sick of EA at the moment. If a game is good people will buy it plain and simple. The majority of people that buy these kind of games is because of multiplayer anyways. Nothing that sets this game apart from any other BF. Maybe that's why they just rolled with a one armed chick lol

If anything the low sales would be fallout from Battlefront 2. Just like Solo’s low ticket sales was fallout from the Last Jedi.

I play games and have no idea where this game fits. Wasn't it just about a year or two ago that Battlefield 1 came out? And that was some kind of remaster or something? Unless you're already a serious player of this series this just kind of feels out of place.

As for an amputated female NOBODY had a problem with Billy Lurk from Dishonored : Death of the Outsider. We can't blame everything on misogyny and bigotry and racism, etc all the time.

dishonored-2-death-of-the-outsider-billie-lurk-trailer.jpg.optimal.jpg

I enjoy historical accuracy in my war games, I didn't like that in Battlefield 1 there were so many semiautomatics and submachine guns, I'd have preferred if everyone was running around with bolt actions as it happened in real life, barely anyone had a semi or a submachine gun during the war. I'd prefer if in Battlefield V we had a few bolt actions, and a fair amount of submachine guns i.e Thompson, grease gun, sten, MP40. I couldn't care about women being in the game really, but the fact that she was using a sniper rifle with deadly accuracy in the trailer with a ww2 era prosthetic? Yeah that's a bit of a stretch.

EA was idiotic to put this anywhere near Red Dead 2. COD is always a competitor they were comfortable going up against, but with RD2, that's fighting a war on two fronts. Couple that with a prominent figure telling his base that they are ignorant/uneducated, and daring them not to buy, it's a recipe for another epic EA fail.

The new trailer looks pretty awesome. If they showed that instead of virtue signaling with their disabled heroine, not to mention microtransaction mascots with that cricket bat, Katana and steampunk attire, there would probably be excitement instead of controversy.

After the Battlefront debacle, this is really head scratching behaviour.

What really gets me is using that disabled woman in the first trailer, it looked like Fortnite. They talked about WW2 immersion for this, so most of the base, including me, were expecting BF 1942 with all the bells and whistles of today.

There are near endless compelling stories involving women in WW2, especially on the Russian front. They could have focused on that through their war stories mode if they really wanted to please Anita Sarkeesian and her like, without making the game look like a cartoon.

WW2 is my favorite era for shooters. The real stories, which have barely been touched on in games, are far more interesting than any fiction could dream up.

I play games and have no idea where this game fits. Wasn't it just about a year or two ago that Battlefield 1 came out? And that was some kind of remaster or something? Unless you're already a serious player of this series this just kind of feels out of place.

As for an amputated female NOBODY had a problem with Billy Lurk from Dishonored : Death of the Outsider. We can't blame everything on misogyny and bigotry and racism, etc all the time.

dishonored-2-death-of-the-outsider-billie-lurk-trailer.jpg.optimal.jpg

It's funny you mention Dishonored, I just read Arkane is putting the series on hiatus due to sales figures.

Even if it isn't the sole reason it's definitely a contributing factor.

Not to mention call of duty releases 4 days before and red dead 2 like 2 weeks after, nothing better to do than spit in the face of your audience, call them uneducated and tell people not to buy it if they don't like the paraplegic woman war hero bullshit they're trying to push.

I'm sure alot of people just said fuck em and took their money elsewhere, most likely just ordered COD Fallout 76 or red dead 2. It isn't rocket science, and it's definitely a contributing factor to the shit pre orders.

Buddy isn't out of the company 2 months after a statement like that after spending over 20 years or whatever with it, he dun fucked up.

There weren't a ton of female combatants in WWII, but they were there. Making her an amputated British woman is taking quite a few liberties though. But I have a hard time getting to irritated by it. We're all playing a certain amount of pretend (i.e. "got shot in the neck, let me just pick up this med pack and I'm good to go"). I guess at the end of the day I have a hard time being too irritated about a pretend person living in my pretend world. If it were a docudrama or historical film I'd be much more critical - I don't want to see the George Lucas director cut of Band of Brothers where she's always standing behind Dick Winters.

I'd argue a vocal minority gives a shit about this.

Red Dead Redemption 2 releases the week after BFV. I'd bet the house it has more of an impact on pre-orders than anything else. After that, EA's shit reputation in general has left consumers with little reason to pre-order their next dump in a box. On top of that, BFV's competition release Black Ops 4 the week before.

Historically accurate or not BFV is facing bigger issues in regards to pre-orders, imo.

Yeah I'll give Rockstar that money before EA. It's like the exact opposite of studio philosophies. Rockstar will delay a game to the point that fans are screaming - but when it comes out they deliver a masterpiece (mostly). EA is a meatgrinder of developers trying to launch the next Lootbox Adventure.

EA's full of shit.

not long ago, they said battlefield V would be 'historically accurate' or some shit. now it's just about having women in video games because women play video games? and "a plausible scenario?"

remember when the battle of britain was won by a steampunk amputee woman killing scores of nazis with a cricket bat? yeah, me neither.

I think this guy's take makes more sense than most I'm seeing online. The game's marketing looks like a mess.

Keep in mind that for Battlefield's preorders to tank, they could still be getting a lot of preorders, they have to make a game that appeals to virtually everyone just to keep sales stable.

Still it's a complete no brainer that Soderlund got fired. The game will get near-perfect scores from all the woke gaming sites, so DICE will probably recover just fine.

They have maps based on battles that never even happened, add that to the all the other weird shit this game has and lack of any innovation no wonder pre sales are trash.

Well, why WOULD I buy a historical game based on WWII that is part of a series known for its accuracy when it contains a woman with a robotic arm that is also a super soldier?!?

Oh wait, its because im an uneducated misogynist...right...

Anyway, if they want to make games for SJW's I say let them enjoy the low sales since most of them dont even play games...maybe then we will have the good gaming industry come back, the one that didnt have corporate entities getting in the way.

Back