Low Bar Squats - Is this just an ego squat?

I thought it was just personal preference.

I can't do more weight in my low bar than my high bar. It just isn't as comfortable to me (plus my forms shit).

Silly to call a low bar squat an ego one.

I've actually had a possibly dumb concern about this lately. My deadlift numbers are way, way higher than my squat numbers, and I am kind of worried that I'm leaving my quads out too much if I squat low bar instead of high bar. As I understand, low bar is more posterior chain, which already gets really heavy work from my DL, but the squat is my only exercise that involves the quads, which get more work from high bar or front squat. I just figured maybe for agonist/antagonist reasons I shouldn't have such a disproportionate distribution. On the other hand, I don't know if that's a retarded concern to have, and I also have knee issues, which I understand low bar is better for.

I've actually had a possibly dumb concern about this lately. My deadlift numbers are way, way higher than my squat numbers, and I am kind of worried that I'm leaving my quads out too much if I squat low bar instead of high bar. As I understand, low bar is more posterior chain, which already gets really heavy work from my DL, but the squat is my only exercise that involves the quads, which get more work from high bar or front squat. I just figured maybe for agonist/antagonist reasons I shouldn't have such a disproportionate distribution. On the other hand, I don't know if that's a retarded concern to have, and I also have knee issues, which I understand low bar is better for.

According to Louie Simmons in the video I posted earlier, university studies show that there is no difference in quad activation between low bar/wider stance and high bar/narrow stance back squats (not that I've seen the actual study he talks about). Personally, my front squat was at its highest when my low bar back squat was also at its highest- but that's anecdotal evidence coming just from one source.

KiwiTricker said:
Personally, my front squat was at its highest when my low bar back squat was also at its highest- but that's anecdotal evidence coming just from one source.

I found the same thing happened to me. So that's anecdotal evidence from two sources now:)

Fixed. No need to thank me, Cratos.:icon_lol:

I haven't trolled this thread once.

You're trying too hard and it's not working for you. It would figure you're British.

How are the elbows doing? Have you quit lifting altogether because of them yet?

tumblr_me8ia2lvox1qmxm7u.gif

Cratos:

Why do you rag on Front Squats? Is it because you cant squat as much using fronts? Serious question.

As Rippetoe says, the low bar squat allows the most weight; therefore, it is the best exercise for making the posterior chain strong.

If having a really strong posterior chain has no translation into sports and is just an ego stroker, I guess we've all been wasting our time.

Cratos:

Why do you rag on Front Squats? Is it because you cant squat as much using fronts? Serious question.

My guess, without presuming to speak for him, is because the front squat is a popular exercise with casual Oly-cum-crossfitter gym-goers who get really good at cleaning 95 lbs. and using their ATG front squat to justify their below-average strength.

Certain exercises have been tainted by various cultists, cretins, and dolts. Raw lifters can't box squat or use bands or chain because that's what fat multi-ply quarter-squatters do. Strong lifters can't front squat or overhead squat because that's what weak ecto crossfitters do to validate their existence. And serious lifters can bench press, but they can't take it too seriously, because that's what your run-of-the-mill gym bro does.

So, he's probably referring more to the communities that taint the front squat than the lift itself. I can't think of too many reasons to dislike an exercise, unless it's a stupid one.

Oh the poor front squat. Always takin shit.

Real talk I'd like to develop a low bar squat but I feel I'd want to train with someone intelligently proficient at using it though. For me, personally, there's a huge difference. I've been HBing since I started lifting. I know the key will be just getting tons of reps in with it and getting comfortable with the set up and cue differences.

I've been squatting high bar for 4 months, and I don't find it superior to low bar for athletic purposes in my own experience. In my opinion, the best squat for athletes is the squat. While HB vs. LB might matter in highly specific lifting sports like weightlifting and powerlifting, it really doesn't make a huge difference in other sports. It's not like you can move the bar 2" down your back and immediately squat double your HB work weight.

Tbh, I can see how somebody could plausibly argue that the high-bar squat is a a bit closer to dynamic movements where you propel your body through space and there might be slightly more beneficial to get stronger with it, considering there generally tends to be a slightly greater speed/SSC component to it and the torso is more upright and there is less stress on the lower back and spinal erectors in general.

Having said that, suggesting that getting stronger in the low-bar squat has "no transfer to anything athletic" or that it is an "ego lift" is stupid beyond reason.

Last edited:
Tbh, I can see how somebody could plausibly argue that the high-bar squat is a a bit closer to dynamic movements where you propel your body through space and there might be slightly more beneficial to get stronger with it, considering there generally tends to be a slightly greater speed/SSC component to it and the torso is more upright and there is less stress on the lower back and spinal erectors in general.

Having said that, suggesting that getting stronger in the low-bar squat has "no transfer to anything athletic" or that it is an "ego lift" is stupid beyond reason.

I've done both, I've switched to LBBS from highbar and it helped me bust through a plateau that I had. I then switched back to high bar because I got into Oly lifting.

I definately like highbar better, it just feels more natural/comfortable to me. And my low bar was never THAT much higher than my highbar atg (40lbs difference at most, 1rm)

Back