lots of squats and lots of milk

TigerArm

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So i'm starting the 20 rep squat + GOMAD program in the faq's. I currently weigh about 175 (give or take) and am hoping to put on 10-15 pounds by the end of the month. I'm using the website fitday.com to track my nutrition. This was my second workout.

9/1:
Squats: 1x20@ 105lbs
dips: 2x10 @ bw
pullups: 2x6 @ bw
hanging leg raise: 2x10 @ bw

Today wasn't so bad, but i can see how this program is gonna get brutal fast. Bumped myself up by 10 pounds on the squats today because my gym only has two 2.5lb plates and i couldn't find the other one, so i said fuck it. Also this whole milk thing is taking some getting used to. I'm weaning myself into it, gonna get down about 2/3 of a gallon today. It makes me sleeeeeeeeeeepy.

you will never put on 10-15 pounds in a month.

If you plan on bulking up you're going to need to totally change that workout routine. You need to be taking in a lot of protein and pumping out high weight with low reps. 20 squats at 105lbs is not going to pack on muscle. It will build muscular endurance and tone your legs but will not make them bigger. Do pyramids of 10-8-6-4 or 8-6-4-2, whatever you want. Increase the weight with each set so that you have to struggle with your last rep in your last set.

more muscle = high weight, low reps
toned muscle = low weight, high reps

If you plan on bulking up you're going to need to totally change that workout routine. You need to be taking in a lot of protein and pumping out high weight with low reps. 20 squats at 105lbs is not going to pack on muscle. It will build muscular endurance and tone your legs but will not make them bigger. Do pyramids of 10-8-6-4 or 8-6-4-2, whatever you want. Increase the weight with each set so that you have to struggle with your last rep in your last set.

Don't worry about your weight, and if you're 175 I'm assuming you're not that fat to begin with, but build muscle and the best way to do that is what the poster above described, higher weights and strenght training. If I'm 210 and my goal is to lose inches and get to 195 and if I gained 10 pounds of muscle so I'm at 220 but at the same time I lost 10 pounds of fat so I'm back at 210, I accomplished my goal but didn't lose weight per se, that's what I mean by don't worry about the weight too much. And try to be realistic here, 10 pounds of muscle in one month? And obviously your diet is 40-50% of all this, so eat high protein foods, and snack on super-foods like sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, other complex carbs, etc. Do some research on that type of nutrition as well, it's just as important as your strenght training.

It is always easy to tell when somones training log was linked on the front page of sherdog.com.

I tried running this last month and on the 6th day my legs were so fried I could not even finish my warm up. It is a very grueling routine.

Good look man.

279061747.jpg

You should check this out: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/strength-power-faq-v2-0-a-1339105/

Last edited:
It will build muscular endurance and tone your legs but will not make them bigger.[/U][/B]

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Lulz.

How long have you been strength training?

If you are just now starting, you can certainly put on 10-15 pounds in a month without gaining much fat.

Don't worry about your weight, and if you're 175 I'm assuming you're not that fat to begin with, but build muscle and the best way to do that is what the poster above described, higher weights and strenght training. If I'm 210 and my goal is to lose inches and get to 195 and if I gained 10 pounds of muscle so I'm at 220 but at the same time I lost 10 pounds of fat so I'm back at 210, I accomplished my goal but didn't lose weight per se, that's what I mean by don't worry about the weight too much. And try to be realistic here, 10 pounds of muscle in one month? And obviously your diet is 40-50% of all this, so eat high protein foods, and snack on super-foods like sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, other complex carbs, etc. Do some research on that type of nutrition as well, it's just as important as your strenght training.

Don't worry i understand what you're saying. It's about body composition, not scale numbers. I'm eating craploads of healthy protiens like fish, chicken, etc, and complex carbs. I've been putting down over 3000 calories a day the past couple of days, which is a ton for me. That's gonna go up too once i can get a full gallon of milk down.

And i think 10 pounds is plenty realistic. I ran the stronglifts 5x5 program last semester of school and got up to my BW (180 at the time) for 5 reps. Super low number for you guys, i'm sure, but a big accomplishment for me. I've always had scrawny chicken legs. It was still more than most of the football jocks at my gym, lol. (And they were only doing like quarter depth! :redface:) Anyway i didn't lift at all over the summer to focus just on skill development in grappling/kickboxing, so i've probably lost all the progress i made and am basically starting from scratch again.

And blaney, don't worry i've done my research. Check out the FAQ/google it.

Good luck man.

I don't know why everyone's knocking 20 rep squats.

Don't listen lol.

I'm sure you'll get the weight gain you're looking for if you can make it through a month.

9/3:
Squats: 1x20@ 115lbs
dips: 2x11 @ bw
pullups: 1x9, 1x7 @ bw
hanging leg raise: 1x11, 1x9 @ bw

Jumped up another 10 pounds on the squat today. Still can't find the other 2.5 weight, if it's gone i'm gonna be pissed. No way i'll make it all month with 10 pound jumps. I can maybe do one more. I'm starting to see where the breathing comes into play, i started getting slightly lightheaded after rep 14 or so and had to start taking deep breaths.
Gym was FILLED with jocks today, a bunch of idiots doing 200lb squats to not even parallel thinking they're macho. Actually, most of them were benching. I Had to wait for the ONLY dip/pullup station. Lame.

9/8:
squats 1x20 @ 120
dips: 1x12, 1x10 @ bw
pullups: 1x11, 1x8 @ bw
hanging leg raise 2x10

Missed a workout on monday (9/6) because of labor day. Tons of curl monkeys in the gym today, but not as bad as last week. I found out kettlebell swings make a great cardio/leg warmup.

9/13
squats 1x20 @ 125
dips 1x13, 1x9
pullups 1x10, 1x9
Decline situps: 2x20

Started doing decline situps as recommended in the FAQ's version of the program because they'll be easier to add weight to later.

9/15
Squats: 1x20 @ 125
Dips: 1x14, 1x11
pullups 1x10, 1x7
Decline situps: 2x20 w/10lbs

Couldn't find either of the damn 2.5'er weights (AGAIN) so i elected to do the same weight instead of bumping up by 10. I'll make the jump to 135 first thing next week.

Had to do the BW exercises one by one (Pullups, then abs, then dips) because there's only one spot for dips in the whole damn gym, and it always gets taken if i walk away to do the situps. This probably accounts for the slightly lower numbers on my sets.

Last edited:
9/20
Squats: 1x20 @ 135
Dips: 1x15, 1x8
Pullups: 1x11, 1x7
decline situps: 2x20 w/20 lbs

Had to do the calistenics sequentially instead of as a circuit again. I'm gonna increase my rest time in between sets next time, hopefully that i'll stop the numbers on the second sets from dropping so much.

Also, the squats seem to be a lot harder on my lower back then they have been on my legs so far. Is this normal? Is my low back just comparatively weak or is my technique bad? I've been doing my best to emulate the rippetoe instructionals on youtube. I do have lots of little knots in my right side IT band/ass from overuse when i use to skateboard, maybe this is causing my lower back to overcompensate? I'll post this question in the S&P forum later.

I'm no expert on the squat, and it would be hard to tell without a video. But I used to get pretty stiff in the lower back region after squatting. I found really getting a belly full of air to help brace your core and ensuring a tight arch in my lower back helped. Further, the DOMS could be caused by tail tuck (I believe this is caused by lack of flexibility in the hamstrings when going into the hole) which could place more stress on your lower back.

However, some DOMS in your lower back can also be expected since the low-bar squat really places an emphasis on the posterior chain compared to high bar. Try getting a form video up ASAP and posting it in the main forum for critique.

Good luck!

It's not exactly DOMS (although there is some of that too,) It's just that my back gets super stiff after my one set. I don't think it's hamstring flexibility though since i can reach past my toes and kick head high.

I don't really have a way to record myself but i'll post in the main forum and see what people think at least. Thanks!

9/22:
squats: 1x20 @ 140
pullups: 1x13, 1x10
dips: 1x15, 1x9
decline situps: 1x20, 1x15 +30lbs

Added some more foam roller work after my warmup sets (usually do some at the beginning of my workout) and my lower back didn't seem to get as stiff.

Dude that "Squats & Milk: GOMAD" workout is supposed to be the tits!!!! I'm actually purchasing a squat cage and weights so I can hit it at my house...

They say that this routine is the ULIMATE muscle strength and volumizing workout ever created!!! Its old school, real old school.... I don't lift weights much anymore, but I plan on hittin this up, just to see how well it really works out...

mon 9/27
squats 1x20@145
decline sit ups: 2x20 +30 lbs
pullups 1x12, 1x10
dips: 1x16, 1x12 -60 lbs (120 lbs)

The dip station has a setting where it will spot you and you can set the weight your actually lifting. I wussed out and did 60 lbs less than my bw on my second set. I figure if i still add a rep on that set every workout it aint that pussy, lol.

I am now squatting Jose Aldo for 20 reps. :icon_chee

Back