Lots of good matches of the little known chinese throwing art in here.

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Lots of good matches of Chinese wrestling or Shuai Jiao in at the 2015 Int'l Championships.

For those of you interested in arts outside judo, bjj, olympic and HS wrestling, I give you the folk art of the most populous country on Earth, and probably the most populated throughout history too.

I am only half way through it. And it is like 2hrs long. But I see lots intredasted things. One thing, is some throws are all kuzushi, and no leg action. They just struggling in the grip fighting, and boom someone tugs this way, and down they go.

I am not sure on the scoring, but I believe if you drive someone out of bounds you get a point. But also, if knees touch ground you get point. I have seen some drag downs/yank downs to accomplish this.

There was this one black dude at like 38 min mark trying to add in some HS wrestling into it. But the French guy he going against starting hitting uchimatas from hell.

I saw some nice ouchi garis. There was a whole lot of one hand on lapel, other hand go for pants, and just drive, and pull him down too.

I notice, they tend to lean on each other more than in Judo.
Lack of strong and easy gi grips means you get punished a lot less for forward pressure. Also looks like they let you block the hip more to defend forward throws.

Not hating but they did not seem at anywhere near the level of wrestlers or judokas at a similar level event. also a little disappointed that they have absolutely no ground work.

Lack of strong and easy gi grips means you get punished a lot less for forward pressure. Also looks like they let you block the hip more to defend forward throws.

Yeh, you can grab the belt. But you will also notice that some guys will grab pants, and just drive forward and down trying to take you out of the mat, which I also think scores points.

But why do you say lack of strong grips? You can literally stick your hand inside the sleeve, and you can grab two hands right next to each other or on top of one another on same side.

Last edited:
Not hating but they did not seem at anywhere near the level of wrestlers or judokas at a similar level event. also a little disappointed that they have absolutely no ground work.

Well you cant compare to first world countries, where people can specialize, and there is money involved in it or some kind of financial subsidization. Think of this like medievel times. The participants are like farmer-soldiers getting ready for mobilization, or peasants gathering at a festival.

Well you cant compare to first world countries, where people can specialize, and there is money involved in it or some kind of financial subsidization. Think of this like medievel times. The participants are like farmer-soldiers getting ready for mobilization, or peasants gathering at a festival.

chineses have pretty damm good judokas

chineses have pretty damm good judokas

I dont think they have ever medalled at any A-level tourneys. Not that I am an expert or anything in that, but you never hear of China being mentioned when it comes to judo.

WTF are you talking about? China has some of the best athletes in the world in many disciplines. It's usually Shuai Jiao fighters from *other* countries that have a lower level, since the sport isn't very developed outside of China (and even in China it's pretty small compared to Judo, Wrestling, etc. which are all olympic sports).

Being a "first world country" or not has nothing to do with it.

Can someone explain these gripping battles to me? What exactly are they trying to achieve?

Loved watching the french dude hitting those throws.

You could tell that the French guy is a judoka. He even had judo pants. These were some beautiful throws, btw.

Seems like the black dude hurt himself (shoulder maybe?) early in the match.

Was wicked watching someone get ippon'ed like 5 times in a row.

You could tell that the French guy is a judoka. He even had judo pants. These were some beautiful throws, btw.

Seems like the black dude hurt himself (shoulder maybe?) early in the match.

Was wicked watching someone get ippon'ed like 5 times in a row.

Funny, I trained with the french guy a couple times. He's been doing judo and shuai jiao for pretty much his whole life (his dad teaches Shuai Jiao and martial arts).

Here's a demo by him and his brother (warning: it's a demonstration, so it's supposed to look a bit showy):

And here's the head of their Shuai Jiao style, Wang Wenyong:

He's quite famous in Chinese Shuai Jiao circles, wrote a couple books and did some DVDs.

Back