Loss but moved up in rankings

BrunswickMAF

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Who's a fighter that lost but still either got moved up in rankings or gained respectability from a great performance.

I'd say Hendricks (although controversial) his GSP loss definitely legitimized him. Also Griffin after the first Ortiz fight

Even though he already had mad respect from the old-school community, Shogun was legitimized in U.S. circles after his first fight against Machida. He dropped one of the worst, most perplexingly indefensible decisions in the history of the sport despite flat-out battering Machida from bell-to-bell and was seen as the de facto champ after that in most people's eyes.

Pretty sure Soto got a big bump up after fighting TJ.

Jones vs. Hamill
Brilz vs. Minotouro
Sapp vs. Nog

Even though he already had mad respect from the old-school community, Shogun was legitimized in U.S. circles after his first fight against Machida. He dropped one of the worst, most perplexingly indefensible decisions in the history of the sport despite flat-out battering Machida from bell-to-bell and was seen as the de facto champ after that in most people's eyes.
No, machida won that fight but barely.

you can lose or not even fight for months and still move up in the women's ranking.

In Joe Rogan and some other people's eyes.

I believe that if youre robbed a decision, and i think this thread was made in last nights Johnson's robbery, then the ranking should be unchanged at worst.

Stipe after JDS fight
He put a helluva fight and fought JDS in his own style

I believe that if youre robbed a decision, and i think this thread was made in last nights Johnson's robbery, then the ranking should be unchanged at worst.
Officially, there is no "robbery" because it's your opinion against someone else's. From all the debating, I'd say that fight was too close to be considered a robbery, just because your homeboy lost.

Rory/Condit
GSP/Hughes 1
Maybe Lawler after first Hendricks fight

Back