1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Losing muscle weight (for women)?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Higus, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

This might sound weird, but I have a friend who is actually trying to lose muscle. She is very athletic (ran track in college, does a lot of biking) and has a lot of muscle tone for a woman. Her goal is to lose weight and ideally move to a smaller build, in her words "to look less 'manly'". I don't know a lot about health/exercise/nutrition and I know even less about how they differ between men and women. Any general tips I could recommend to her?

2. scoopj

scoopj ackson

Does she have a couch, tv, dvd player, and a bunch of chick flicks? If so, she has pretty much everything she needs to gain that soft, feminine look. For diet, lots of fruits and vegetables. For exercise, walking.

3. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Her goal is to lose weight in order to "look less manly". Aesthetics training is a forbidden topic here. Not to mention that "running track and doing a lot of biking" won't get a woman overly muscular by any healthy sense of the term (if you had said she did shot put, I would be more understanding!).

Other than that, I would simply tell her to look for "more manly" and less insecure dudes. That would make her look "less manly" in a second, and her muscular development would make her looks sexier to them.

edit: also, you know how i know you're gay? your sig occupies more space than your OP.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Moderate to low cardio around 50-70% HR.

Muscle is lost mainly on 3 factors, disease, long term starvation and inactivity.

5. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

This thread is useless without pics.

6. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

That is all the advice she really needs.

7. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

I had a feeling that these kind of answers would be pretty popular. I tell her the same, as do most of her friends. I was trying to think of it more as a challenge, like, hypothetically, regardless of why, if this was your goal how could you do it? I figure there should be a way to both lose weight and stay in shape when you have low body fat

8. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

+he has two different conjugations of Brock Lesnar in his favorite fighters list.

9. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

Tell her to start doing coke and dancing at the 'Gras, assuming she's from springfield, too.

10. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

technically, Black Lesnar is the fake name for Bobbly Lashley

11. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

You cannot get softer without increasing bodyfat. You cannot lose weight without eating less. Sooo... eat less less healthy food? That doesn't seem like good advice. My real advice? See a therapist to treat poor self image.

12. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Inactivity is a great way to get soft and mushy lovely. haha.

13. Dafreeclinic

Dafreeclinic Orange Belt

Yes and tell her to read and watch
    Train with Hannah Johnson

14. 4FightersChick

4FightersChick White Belt

Ofcourse, I also like the "hang out with more manly" dudes.....LMAO!

I am a pro natural bodybuilder- I have a 415 squat and a 315 deadlift, however, by my standards, I am not a "big woman"...5'9" and 153. I am very muscular, though. Point is, to some extent, we are predisposed to a bodytype. Is she a "pear"- thick on the bottom? They can be shapley, but rarely ripped on bottom (but can have diced upper bodies and abs, usually). I have worked with women like this before- the most success I had was in overtraining their legs. Think about what happens to an overtrained body! The muscles breakdown from overuse and/or insufficient recovery time.

Although biking and running aren't "mad muscle building"activities, that just might be enough for her to "hold what she has".

As far as some men thinking I look "manly", they're pu&*^$s. However, no amount of us all suggesting she adopt this concept will help- it's about how she feels. I would encourage her to compete in something where her DIESEL LEGS DOMINATE!!!!

15. chia

chia POWER OF THE GLOW

What do you mean by softer? Because inactivity will cause a decrease in resting muscle tone in which the muscles can be considered "softer".

16. Dafreeclinic

Dafreeclinic Orange Belt

Suited or raw?

17. PCP

PCP Guest

Sounds like you are upset that she is twice as strong as you

18. Dafreeclinic

Dafreeclinic Orange Belt

Im curious thats pretty impressive. Its not twice but its alot more.

19. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

4FC, come on man, you can't really give out advice for a girl to overtrain in order to lose muscle mass, and that without even knowing what she looks like.

She ran track in college and now "does a lot of biking"; chances are she is a perfectly fine and healthy person and wanting to lose muscle mass is strictly a self-image issue. Even women who ran 100m, which is the most anaerobic track event, don't have enough muscle mass to qualify them as "overly manly". Giving out the above advice is not going to help her.

20. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

This thread is full of lulz

415 squat and 315 deadlift? Geared squat?

I wonder what a more manly guy would look like for these ladies....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally for the finale....

[​IMG]