Losing interest or giving up on your dream

I used to write stories since I was a child and my teachers thought that I would become a journalist or a writer...yet here I'm as an accountant dreaming about writing books.

The pay is good but it certainly isn't gratifying mentally or spiritually.

I do have signed up for a writing course and I have recieved decent feedback so I might still dream about becoming a writer one day...

I wanted to be a lawyer since the 7th grade. I'm an electrician now.

I've noticed most people that are under 30 are trying to coast through life and want to get paid for full-time work while only working part-time. People under 30 are opening up their own 'consulting' firms because they didn't want to be the fax/scanner bitch at their corporate office with what they perceive to be an over-qualified degree. These consulting firms led by people without a wrinkle on their face remind me of Homer Simpson who starts a website and asks everyone 'Can I have my money now?' A lot of other people I know are trying to make it big becoming 'photographers'. That seems to be the counter-culture career choice amongst the youth that should have full time jobs by now but they don't. I think these people just don't want to accept that maybe working full-time for a while is in their future.

Why am I saying this? Because I wanted to become a screenwriter too, but part of that perhaps was because I wanted to work part-time and get full-time pay. 100k a year for 1 screenplay? Possibly a million? Yes please! No different than musicians trying to make it big, actors who move to Los Angeles to try and make it big, etc. Here's a better tip, follow the money right now and save as much as you can. Once that happens start looking to transfer your career into your passions. I think I'll take up writing again when my future investments start picking up, when I can stop working 55 hours a week and instead 25. Get the money growing, reduce the hours of your old work, replace it with your passion and profit.

Yeah, but how old will you be when you start back up again? I can't imagine wanting to do anything when i'm old. Though i suppose that's where the mid-life crisis comes in.

This is some high level internet posting.

I've noticed most people that are under 30 are trying to coast through life and want to get paid for full-time work while only working part-time. People under 30 are opening up their own 'consulting' firms because they didn't want to be the fax/scanner bitch at their corporate office with what they perceive to be an over-qualified degree. These consulting firms led by people without a wrinkle on their face remind me of Homer Simpson who starts a website and asks everyone 'Can I have my money now?' A lot of other people I know are trying to make it big becoming 'photographers'. That seems to be the counter-culture career choice amongst the youth that should have full time jobs by now but they don't. I think these people just don't want to accept that maybe working full-time for a while is in their future.

Why am I saying this? Because I wanted to become a screenwriter too, but part of that perhaps was because I wanted to work part-time and get full-time pay. 100k a year for 1 screenplay? Possibly a million? Yes please! No different than musicians trying to make it big, actors who move to Los Angeles to try and make it big, etc. Here's a better tip, follow the money right now and save as much as you can. Once that happens start looking to transfer your career into your passions. I think I'll take up writing again when my future investments start picking up, when I can stop working 55 hours a week and instead 25. Get the money growing, reduce the hours of your old work, replace it with your passion and profit.

Honestly forget your dreams. I've found tremendous success and happiness by asking myself "what would be fun to try next?"

Hmmm...I once had a dream to be married/have a family. Life had other plans :eek:

You are not giving enough details as to how serious or strong was your dream/passion for these things, maybe it was just something that you liked at the time but not a dream as to how some people feel it. In general people change man, and there is nothing wrong with that. I used to want to be a journalist when I was a teen and I was very serious about that, however in the pursue of my dream I discovered other passions in the communications field where I wouldnt want to be a journalist anymore, I changed and Im very happy with that change, at the end of the day the only person who can judge your own happiness is yourself

Back