Loser of the night: Hector

I don't blame Lombard for Burkman backing up for three rounds. I didn't understand his showboating, either. He's losing the fight, and standing there with his hands down looking for one shot counters. Burkman didn't fight, that's not on Lombard.

You're the loser of the night. Lombard landed a ton, but Burkman had never been stopped with strikes in 36 fights.

yea, burkman ate a bunch of sig strikes. will be interested to see the fightmetric afterwards.

It looked to me like Burkman was fighting to survive not to win. It's hard to look good against a guy fighting that way.

Burkman was using most of his remaining energy to stand up. Hector needed to go and take him out for the buzz. A win is a win but that fight wont get anyone begging to see him again.

Not really. Jones would be more than happy if DC didn't trade with him at all, for example. It's the stocky power punchers like Lombard that need to force others to trade with them.

the point of striking in a fight is to finish. im not talking about ground game or clinch, although an argument can be made that all aspects of a fighter's gameplan is to finish the fight. the other guy stated the obvious by saying Lombard needed to figure out how to finish people with longer reaches. like no shit, that's what fighting is, figuring out how to get past the other guy's strengths and exploiting their weaknesses.

Honestly I enjoyed this fight. The last few days everyone has been talking about how Burkman was literally going to die in the first round. I think he showed he can hang with the best in WW.

Still looking forward to Lombard's next fight. I think an impressive win vs Matt Brown and he could have a title shot.

The loser of the night, so far, is all of us that paid $60 for this bullshit.

I'd be inclined to agree. Though Lombard won, I thought he looked like shit doing so. I realize Burkman had alot to do with it, but really, a shitty win like this and he's one fight away from a title shot? I would rather him get a win against two decent fighters first. I have a feeling though that this might get him a few bigger fights as this didn't help with his unbeatable aura, in my opinion.

How so?

Hit Burkman with big shots, got hit with big shots, fucked Burkman's leg up, shoved off Burkman's TDs and easily took him down.

Walked forward the whole fight while Burkman was back pedalling.

Burkman made him back off there a lot of times.

Hector still doing that pawing-overhand. It's his only attack.

Brown would probably end Hector. I know there's this weird fan worship with muscular guys, probably stemming from the WWE fanboys, but Hector's not champ material.

Would love to see Rory get a win off him and get a title shot.

the point of striking in a fight is to finish. im not talking about ground game or clinch, although an argument can be made that all aspects of a fighter's gameplan is to finish the fight. the other guy stated the obvious by saying Lombard needed to figure out how to finish people with longer reaches. like no shit, that's what fighting is, figuring out how to get past the other guy's strengths and exploiting their weaknesses.

The other guy was also me, and I was replying to a post saying that Lombard's opponents wouldn't trade with him. I pointed out that his opponents will still avoid trading with him, but unlike Burkman tonight they will win (well Rory specifically). You're right though that it's a basic fact.

How so?

Hit Burkman with big shots, got hit with big shots, fucked Burkman's leg up, shoved off Burkman's TDs and easily took him down.

Walked forward the whole fight while Burkman was back pedalling.

B6eckmuCMAICRnmjpg_large_zpsb14b96a0.jpeg

His opponents are scared to trade with him.
Look at the shields fights, same thing there.

Hector gets blamed, smh.

What are you on about? Burkman was goading him on and made him back off because he was landing decent counters. If he could make Hector back off what do you think guys like Brown, Condit or Rory would do to him?

This over puffing of Hector is crazy. He looked bad tonight, it was his fight to lose and he should have ended that fight decisively. He's not touching the belt with that performance not with so many other guys more game than him.

Burkman's plan was a good one. He wanted to mount some offense and stay mobile hoping to tire Lombard out. Lombard saw this and stayed composed the whole fight. He started lighting Burkman up and Burkman had nothing in return.

Oh, come on. Burkman makes everyone look bad. Except Steve Carl.

His opponents are scared to trade with him.
Look at the shields fights, same thing there.

Hector gets blamed, smh.

Burkman had his hands down. Josh's only offense was trying to counter in exchanges. After the first he couldn't even move and he was up against the cage...where did you see him avoiding trading?

What are you on about? Burkman was goading him on and made him back off because he was landing decent counters. If he could make Hector back off what do you think guys like Brown, Condit or Rory would do to him?

This over puffing of Hector is crazy. He looked bad tonight, it was his fight to lose and he should have ended that fight decisively. He's not touching the belt with that performance not with so many other guys more game than him.

Yeah, you sound like you don't know shit.

This Burkman fight was a weird downgrade for Lombard as he was climbing the ranks nicely until then.

Burkman did not make him look too good tonight. Burkman looked gassed, weak and uncoordinated... but you could see the guy has a few tricks in his bag. Hats off to him to make it til the end on his two legs.

The fact that Hector did not go for the takedown or did not try to go for the kill might not help his case for a championship match in 2015 or within a few fights.

It looked to me like Lombard himself was more focused on not gassing than on going all out for a finish. He will need a better output if he wants to go through guys like Matt Brown or Rory Macdonald as these guys are in top shape and they are very active strike-wise, they don't walk away like Josh did all night.

Joe Rogan had to use his imagination on the mike tonight to see some cool stuff in that fight. He came up with Hector's patience ;-) Awesome Joe ;-)

What's your take on this fight? Do you think Hector missed a great opportunity to impress?
I think your assessment on Burkman is so terrible you should probably stop posting your opinions on fights. It's that bad.

Yeah, you sound like you don't know shit.

Speak for yourself. Instead of posting something constructive and getting your point across you just decide to post like an angry teenager.

Way to show your knowledge. Please do enlighten us.

Your Hero was getting tagged. Deal with it. He's not touching the belt especially when someone like Burkman can make him think twice before throwing.

Hector should learn how to cut the octagon and show some killer instinct.And I could see Burkman landing a few times in him, that could be a problem if the guy landing is someone like Woodley,Hendricks or Lawler.

Burkman beat Fitch, he's no slouch. Lombard was patient amd stalked him throughout, everyone is upset because it was a 'sure finish'. Burkman is a crafty veteran, he may have no where near the athletic ability but ue forced Lombard out of his game, it just wasnt enough

Back