Lose Weight and Gain Strength...PLEASE HELP!

My muscle would be more efficient at higher loads and yours would be more efficient at lower loads....

That aside, I'd love to see any examples of that scenario in real life, especially where the 50lbsx90 guy has got there with yoga. You've made up two sets of numbers that are going to be almost impossible to find in the real world.

Real life... look at american football players versus rugby players. One needs his muscles to work at a maximum rate for 4-7 seconds at a clip. The other needs his muscles to work at a less-than-maximum rate for a longer period of time. Do you think that those two athletes follow the same weight training program?

Real life... look at american football players versus rugby players. One needs his muscles to work at a maximum rate for 4-7 seconds at a clip. The other needs his muscles to work at a less-than-maximum rate for a longer period of time. Do you think that those two athletes follow the same weight training program?

Do you think that one would be able to do 10 reps at weight x and 50 at weight y while the other could do 7 at x and 90 at y? Although a rugby player is technically 'active' for much longer than an nfl player a lot of that time is spent getting into position at a relatively slow pace, followed by an explosion in a sprint/scrum etc. The difference between the two, while apparent, is nowhere near the level you think it to be.

I would suggest that they probably follow very similar strength programs, and very different conditioning programs.

that state of the body or of an organ in which all its functions are performed with healthy vigor.

So when I use the phrase "tone muscle", I'm saying that although you will not vastly increase your muscle mass, your muscles will be more able to perform its function with healthy vigor, aka able to perform more efficiently.

The fist sentence has absolutely nothing to do with muscle tone. The last sentence is just completely nonsensical (i.e. lacks any coherent meaning).

Bikram yoga you say?

Man, some really hardcore strengthening right there. And very functional too; I'm sure the strength gains would transfer greatly to any sport. At 2:05, "Locking your knee is the hardest thing you can do in the world. Lock your knee for 60 seconds and bring your head to your other knee. There's nothing that's harder than that. And if you can do that, you can do anything in your life."

You've got to be trolling, right?

The fist sentence has absolutely nothing to do with muscle tone. The last sentence is just completely nonsensical (i.e. lacks any coherent meaning).

Bikram yoga you say?

Man, some really hardcore strengthening right there. And very functional too; I'm sure the strength gains would transfer greatly to any sport. At 2:05, "Locking your knee is the hardest thing you can do in the world. Lock your knee for 60 seconds and bring your head to your other knee. There's nothing that's harder than that. And if you can do that, you can do anything in your life."

You've got to be trolling, right?

Wow! Your 4 minute 39 second clip is amazing. Your scientific research astounds me. You are absolutely right; doing yoga does not build strength at all. The only way to build strength is to pick up weights. Using your own body as resistance does nothing, and most certainly does not build strength. It takes zero strength at all to do a side angle plank or a crow pose. I apologize for ever doubting you, oh all-knowing all-seeing God.

Fuckin' one-track mind clown

Fuckin' one-track mind clown

I will take this as lack of counter arguments to me calling you out on your strengthening and muscle toning claims and lack of understanding.

Can Yoga Replace Strength Training? - Gaiam Life

Which yoga poses are best for developing strength?

Yee explains that certain types of yoga poses build muscle tone in different ways.

"Challenging arm balances and inversion poses are very effective for building muscle strength," he says, "because they flex groups of smaller muscles

Miaou, I hope you'll forgive me for not using YouTube as my primary research vessel.

I will take this as lack of counter arguments to me calling you out on your strengthening and muscle toning claims and lack of understanding.

The fact that whether or not participating in yoga makes you stronger is even in doubt speaks to your general ignorance.

But for the sake of argument, would you like more sources that participating in yoga builds strength? How many do you need to be satisfied?

Strength Training With Yoga | LIVESTRONG.COM

Yoga exercises will increase muscular strength and muscular endurance. As a strength-training workout, yoga can be done with little to no cost in the privacy of your own home. Strength gains can be achieved without weight-training equipment and expensive health club facilities. Workouts are efficient and provide training for all major muscles....

A study was conducted at the University of California at Davis. Ten college 'coach potatoes' adopted a yoga routine for eight weeks. Each week, they attended from two to four classes during which they spent 10 minutes on breath control, 15 minutes of warm up exercises, 50 minutes doing yoga asanas, and then 10 minutes of relaxation/mediation. At the end of the eight-week period, the researchers measured the students' fitness and discovered that their muscular strength had increased by up to 31%, their muscular endurance improved by 57%, their flexibility increased by 188%, and their cardio respiratory fitness improved by 7%. These results are pretty amazing when you consider that the study was only conducted for eight weeks.

This is not a surprising find. If you take a sedentary person and involve them in ANY physical activity its likely they will increase in strength and muscular endurance. The question is what happens if you took 10 college athletes and replaced their strength training with yoga? Would they get stronger or weaker?

Nahhhh Maiou, you're definitely correct. All of these articles are wrong. The scientific study is wrong. Everybody is wrong but you. It must be wonderful to live in your world.

I really shouldn't be answering to a person who obviously doesn't have a clue what the fuck he is talking about, doesn't even understand the meaning of the terms he is using, and on top of all that just right out insults me. But I will answer just this once:

Can Yoga Replace Strength Training? - Gaiam Life

Which yoga poses are best for developing strength?

Yee explains that certain types of yoga poses build muscle tone in different ways.

This is a completely nonsensical advertising claim.

"Challenging arm balances and inversion poses are very effective for building muscle strength," he says, "because they flex groups of smaller muscles

Muscle Fitness – Can Yoga Make You Stronger?

Many people wonder if yoga can improve their muscle fitness. They recognize that yoga can help reduce stress and increase flexibility, but when it comes to increasing muscle fitness, they think it might be a little too 'weak' to do the job. The fact is that yoga can definitely make you stronger.

A study was conducted at the University of California at Davis. Ten college 'coach potatoes' adopted a yoga routine for eight weeks. Each week, they attended from two to four classes during which they spent 10 minutes on breath control, 15 minutes of warm up exercises, 50 minutes doing yoga asanas, and then 10 minutes of relaxation/mediation. At the end of the eight-week period, the researchers measured the students' fitness and discovered that their muscular strength had increased by up to 31%, their muscular endurance improved by 57%, their flexibility increased by 188%, and their cardio respiratory fitness improved by 7%. These results are pretty amazing when you consider that the study was only conducted for eight weeks.

Here is that specific study:

Effects of Hatha Yoga Practice on the Health-Related Aspects of Physical Fitness. (2001)
Tran MD, Holly RG, Lashbrook J, Amsterdam EA.
Department of Exercise Science, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616.

Abstract
Ten healthy, untrained volunteers (nine females and one male), ranging in age from 18-27 years, were studied to determine the effects of hatha yoga practice on the health-related aspects of physical fitness, including muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, cardiorespiratory fitness, body composition, and pulmonary function. Subjects were required to attend a minimum of two yoga classes per week for a total of 8 weeks. Each yoga session consisted of 10 minutes of pranayamas (breath-control exercises), 15 minutes of dynamic warm-up exercises, 50 minutes of asanas (yoga postures), and 10 minutes of supine relaxation in savasana (corpse pose). The subjects were evaluated before and after the 8-week training program. Isokinetic muscular strength for elbow extension, elbow flexion, and knee extension increased by 31%, 19%, and 28% (p<0.05), respectively, whereas isometric muscular endurance for knee flexion increased 57% (p<0.01). Ankle flexibility, shoulder elevation, trunk extension, and trunk flexion increased by 13% (p<0.01), 155% (p<0.001), 188% (p<0.001), and 14% (p<0.05), respectively. Absolute and relative maximal oxygen uptake increased by 7% and 6%, respectively (p<0.01). These findings indicate that regular hatha yoga practice can elicit improvements in the health-related aspects of physical fitness.

Do you realize that if you take 10 couch potatoes and have do literally anything that involves moving their body, their strength will increase? If you have 10 couch potatoes climb stairs instead of taking the elevator in their everyday life, their measured knee extension will increase.

This is not a surprising find. If you take a sedentary person and involve them in ANY physical activity its likely they will increase in strength and muscular endurance. The question is what happens if you took 10 college athletes and replaced their strength training with yoga? Would they get stronger or weaker?

Do you simply make up questions as you go along? Where does anybody, including the TS, ask what would happen if you took 10 (or 1) college athletes and replaced their strength training with yoga? Who is saying that if you took 10 people from a vigorous strength training program involving weight lifting and moved them to an all-yoga program that those 10 people would get stronger? I certainly never said that, so again, who asked these questions? Who are you arguing with?

This thread was started because TS, a former high school varsity athlete, weighs 209 and wants to shed pounds while gaining strength. According to TS's own words, his optimal athletic weight is probably more in the 170 range, as that is what he said he weighed in high school when he was a multi-sport varsity athlete. Again, to get back in shape, I first advocated active strength training with moderate to high reps, and told TS to move from one exercise to the next so he can keep his heart rate up. Keeping his heart rate up while exercising/strength training should help him burn fat while building/strengthening his muscles.

Secondly, I recommended trying yoga. I used the word "tone". I had no idea how many people in this forum were anti the word "tone". I promise to never use it again.

Yoga also strengthens muscle, and since TS is admittedly overweight, using his own body weight should provide more than enough resistance. My only point is that yoga does strengthen muscles, and I believe I have provided the documentation to back up my claim. The fact that "yoga strengthens muscles" was even in question is astounding in its own right.

Here is that specific study:

Do you realize that if you take 10 couch potatoes and have do literally anything that involves moving their body, their strength will increase? If you have 10 couch potatoes climb stairs instead of taking the elevator in their everyday life, their measured knee extension will increase.

I honestly have no idea what we are arguing about. I have never said that yoga is better than strength training with weights. Here is my statement.

"The Practice of Yoga is a great supplement to any strength and conditioning program due to its muscle strengthening properties and ability to increase one's flexibility."

Please tell me what you disagree with in that statement.

I am 100% sure that Yoga won't help me reach a 1200+ total.

Back