1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Lose Weight and Gain Strength...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by ShotokanSuppes, Sep 10, 2010.

1. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Real life... look at american football players versus rugby players. One needs his muscles to work at a maximum rate for 4-7 seconds at a clip. The other needs his muscles to work at a less-than-maximum rate for a longer period of time. Do you think that those two athletes follow the same weight training program?

2. ssjmawson White Belt

Do you think that one would be able to do 10 reps at weight x and 50 at weight y while the other could do 7 at x and 90 at y? Although a rugby player is technically 'active' for much longer than an nfl player a lot of that time is spent getting into position at a relatively slow pace, followed by an explosion in a sprint/scrum etc. The difference between the two, while apparent, is nowhere near the level you think it to be.

3. pliftkl Green Belt

I would suggest that they probably follow very similar strength programs, and very different conditioning programs.

4. miaou barely keeping it together

The fist sentence has absolutely nothing to do with muscle tone. The last sentence is just completely nonsensical (i.e. lacks any coherent meaning).

Bikram yoga you say?

Man, some really hardcore strengthening right there. And very functional too; I'm sure the strength gains would transfer greatly to any sport. At 2:05, "Locking your knee is the hardest thing you can do in the world. Lock your knee for 60 seconds and bring your head to your other knee. There's nothing that's harder than that. And if you can do that, you can do anything in your life."

You've got to be trolling, right?

5. zeel Yellow Belt

squat and deadlift more

6. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Wow! Your 4 minute 39 second clip is amazing. Your scientific research astounds me. You are absolutely right; doing yoga does not build strength at all. The only way to build strength is to pick up weights. Using your own body as resistance does nothing, and most certainly does not build strength. It takes zero strength at all to do a side angle plank or a crow pose. I apologize for ever doubting you, oh all-knowing all-seeing God.

Fuckin' one-track mind clown

7. miaou barely keeping it together

I will take this as lack of counter arguments to me calling you out on your strengthening and muscle toning claims and lack of understanding.

8. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Can Yoga Replace Strength Training? - Gaiam Life

Which yoga poses are best for developing strength?

Yee explains that certain types of yoga poses build muscle tone in different ways.

"Challenging arm balances and inversion poses are very effective for building muscle strength," he says, "because they flex groups of smaller muscles

9. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

10. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Miaou, I hope you'll forgive me for not using YouTube as my primary research vessel.

11. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

The fact that whether or not participating in yoga makes you stronger is even in doubt speaks to your general ignorance.

But for the sake of argument, would you like more sources that participating in yoga builds strength? How many do you need to be satisfied?

12. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

13. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Strength Training With Yoga | LIVESTRONG.COM

Yoga exercises will increase muscular strength and muscular endurance. As a strength-training workout, yoga can be done with little to no cost in the privacy of your own home. Strength gains can be achieved without weight-training equipment and expensive health club facilities. Workouts are efficient and provide training for all major muscles....

14. TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

This is not a surprising find. If you take a sedentary person and involve them in ANY physical activity its likely they will increase in strength and muscular endurance. The question is what happens if you took 10 college athletes and replaced their strength training with yoga? Would they get stronger or weaker?

15. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Nahhhh Maiou, you're definitely correct. All of these articles are wrong. The scientific study is wrong. Everybody is wrong but you. It must be wonderful to live in your world.

16. miaou barely keeping it together

I really shouldn't be answering to a person who obviously doesn't have a clue what the fuck he is talking about, doesn't even understand the meaning of the terms he is using, and on top of all that just right out insults me. But I will answer just this once:

17. miaou barely keeping it together

Here is that specific study:

Do you realize that if you take 10 couch potatoes and have do literally anything that involves moving their body, their strength will increase? If you have 10 couch potatoes climb stairs instead of taking the elevator in their everyday life, their measured knee extension will increase.

18. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Do you simply make up questions as you go along? Where does anybody, including the TS, ask what would happen if you took 10 (or 1) college athletes and replaced their strength training with yoga? Who is saying that if you took 10 people from a vigorous strength training program involving weight lifting and moved them to an all-yoga program that those 10 people would get stronger? I certainly never said that, so again, who asked these questions? Who are you arguing with?

This thread was started because TS, a former high school varsity athlete, weighs 209 and wants to shed pounds while gaining strength. According to TS's own words, his optimal athletic weight is probably more in the 170 range, as that is what he said he weighed in high school when he was a multi-sport varsity athlete. Again, to get back in shape, I first advocated active strength training with moderate to high reps, and told TS to move from one exercise to the next so he can keep his heart rate up. Keeping his heart rate up while exercising/strength training should help him burn fat while building/strengthening his muscles.

Secondly, I recommended trying yoga. I used the word "tone". I had no idea how many people in this forum were anti the word "tone". I promise to never use it again.

Yoga also strengthens muscle, and since TS is admittedly overweight, using his own body weight should provide more than enough resistance. My only point is that yoga does strengthen muscles, and I believe I have provided the documentation to back up my claim. The fact that "yoga strengthens muscles" was even in question is astounding in its own right.

19. ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

I honestly have no idea what we are arguing about. I have never said that yoga is better than strength training with weights. Here is my statement.

"The Practice of Yoga is a great supplement to any strength and conditioning program due to its muscle strengthening properties and ability to increase one's flexibility."

Please tell me what you disagree with in that statement.

20. zeel Yellow Belt

I am 100% sure that Yoga won't help me reach a 1200+ total.