Social Los Angeles schools to consider ban on smartphones

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Black
Reaction score
By Daniel Trotta
June 18, 20247:19 AM

June 18 (Reuters) - The Los Angeles Unified School District on Tuesday will consider banning smartphones for its 429,000 students in an attempt to insulate a generation of kids from distractions and social media that undermine learning and hurt mental health.

The proposal was being formulated before U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy on Monday called for a warning label, opens new tab on social media platforms, akin to those on cigarette packages, due to what he considers a mental health emergency.

MV5BMTgwNjUxMTgyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI4OTQ1MjE@._V1_.jpg

The board of the second-largest school district in the United States is scheduled to vote on a proposal to within 120 days develop a policy that would prohibit student use of cellphones and social media platforms and be in place by January 2025.

The L.A. schools will consider whether phones should be stored in pouches or lockers during school hours, according to the meeting's agenda, opens new tab, and what exceptions should be made for students with learning or physical disabilities.

Nick Melvoin, a board member and former middle school teacher who proposed the resolution, said cell phones were already a problem when he left the classroom in 2011, and since then the constant texting and liking has grown far worse.

"It's a moment whose time has come. When I talk to teachers and administrators and parents, it's one of the number one concerns," said Melvoin.

If approved, Los Angeles would join a number of smaller school districts to ban access to phones or social media. Florida, with some 2.8 million public school students, last year passed a law requiring school districts to prevent student access to social media. Several other states have introduced similar legislation.
MV5BMTY3ZTZmMDctMWJkOC00OGFiLWE3M2EtNzE0MDdkMGYzODU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIyMTQzODM2._V1_.jpg

While the research on mental health risks remains incomplete, the surgeon general said the emergency was so apparent as to demand action.

He cited a JAMA study, opens new tab showing adolescents who spend more than three hours a day on social media may be at heightened risk of mental illness, while also referring to a Gallup poll, opens new tab showing the average teen spends 4.8 hours per day on social media.

The L.A. school district cited other evidence that cellphone addiction was linked to soaring rates of anxiety and cyberbullying.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/los-angeles-schools-consider-ban-smartphones-2024-06-18/

I did my schooling in an era without everyone having phones in their faces 24/7 so I don't understand how this hasn't already been the policy in all schools for at least the last decade.
- When i was in school, the fones were the size of bricks. And didnt even have games on them i think.

When i got to university, theres people that spend marjority of tinme looking at their phones. I thought was extremely rude to the teachers, but one teacher of mine, said he already knew tyhe subjects, should be people interest o learn, after alll they're were paying.

Now in martial arts, we dont have people glued at their phones, but a decade ago, when a trained with a douche, he spend all the time talking on the phone!

During school hours they 100% should ban it.

You need nothing on your phone when you're at school. Focus on school and the people around you. That is real life. Not social media and youtube.

No mention about ChatGPT?

No mention of the apps where students can take a photo of a math problem or a question within any subject, and the answer is given to the student in less than three seconds?

During school hours they 100% should ban it.

You need nothing on your phone when you're at school. Focus on school and the people around you. That is real life. Not social media and youtube.
SMH
We finally have that calculator in our pocket that our teachers swore we would never have and now the parents want to take them away. Kids cant win.

I did my schooling in an era without everyone having phones in their faces 24/7 so I don't understand how this hasn't already been the policy in all schools for at least the last decade.
Same. It was nice to be able to contact our girls whenever we needed to, but we could do that whether they had their phones on them in class or not.

lol, too late. within an hour you'll have student physically attacking professors to get their phones back. this generation, and the ones coming after, are embedded with their phones.

But how are going to see to all the videos of kids beating each other up in bathrooms and on the school yards now?

Or students blindsiding teachers?

Yes please... ban these devices at school.

There's Texas District proposing that phones must be kept in the plastic pouches. Similar to what Joe Rogan was requiring during his stand up acts.

I think there's several states considering these pouches.

Schools in 41 states have spent millions on pouches to lock up kids' phones​

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/yondr-phone-pouch-lock-school-rcna128247

It's a good compromise. Kids can check them during lunch or off periods. I like being able to text my kids at school for random things...

- Need a ride?
- One of them needs to stay after school for theater
- Not feeling well
- I'm coming to get you for... whatever

But they don't need unfettered access all the time for them. And if that's an issue, get a smart watch for messaging.

No mention about ChatGPT?

No mention of the apps where students can take a photo of a math problem or a question within any subject, and the answer is given to the student in less than three seconds?

Easy solution to chatgpt is end this ridiculous system of 6 hours of daycare and four hours of homework. Teach the subjects in class.

Way too many teachers do nothing all day and then just assign a ton of reading and homework.

I guess I'm surprised this isnt already a thing? In my high school it was known that if your phone was seen during class, it was getting yoinked by the teacher.

From anecdotal evidence any kid I've seen with access to a smartphone is a complete zombie retard.
The fact the Jobs and Gates banned phone for their kids should tell you all you need to know.

I am surprised this isn't a thing already. At the very least, kids should have to store their phones in the classroom. Have a box or locker where they put them in when they get into the classroom, then allow them to pick them up on their way out.

Seems pretty obvious, but for some reason 2 of the board members still voted no, though one of them also was the superintendent during the child rape rampage in the 90s and sued because he knew about one of the teachers molesting kids and still kept him teaching to molest several more kids.

Back