Los Angeles Open Mats?

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
Is anybody training anywhere on Sunday or Monday near LA? Please let me know! I'd like to get some training in somewhere before I fly away on Christmas Day.

I just moved here, but I haven't had much time to train myself this month. I was busy shadowing classes and getting to know everyone at my new home in LA. With the holiday upon us, I finally have a short time to visit the sights, explore the area, and train with some new faces... I won't return until right after the New Year.

I figure this would be a good place for anyone else looking for open mats during the holidays too.

Is anybody training anywhere on Sunday or Monday near LA? Please let me know! I'd like to get some training in somewhere before I fly away on Christmas Day.

I just moved here, but I haven't had much time to train myself this month. I was busy shadowing classes and getting to know everyone at my new home in LA. With the holiday upon us, I finally have a short time to visit the sights, explore the area, and train with some new faces... I won't return until right after the New Year.

I figure this would be a good place for anyone else looking for open mats during the holidays too.

Sifu Gojin's Academy of Jiu Jitsu in the Hollywood area is good. I go in there sometimes for open mat on sunday from 12-4. They have guys of all levels from white to black, and guys will be willing to roll no gi also. A lot of mat space. 923 Cole Avenue is the address. There is also a sparring class on monday from 11-12:30, kind of like open mat but more structured. A black belt from Brazil (1st degree) runs the class. really cool laid back guy. There's usually about 10-15 people at that class, mostly purples and up.

Last edited:
Noob question but when people say open mat is that considered free? Or is there a fee to use another gyms mat even though you're not attending a class

Usually open mat means that there is no "formal class", so it's just a section of time for members to come drill, roll and generall practice whatever they want. Often the owner or an instructor is there and will be more than happy to help out with techniques or even roll, but there isn't any scheduled format or class going on.

Usually it's a small fee for non-members, I have generally paid $10-20 bucks for open mat OR drop-in classes.

Some schools in LA charge rediculous drop-in fee's for classes though, Kron wanted me to pay $60 bucks just to drop in for one class...crazy

Temporarily training at a capoeira space in Culver City, we might have an open mat at 3 on the 24th. Ive got about 4 guys willing to come in, if you're interested PM me and I can let you know once I confirm.

No idea you were in Los Angeles now Jimmy. I am going to try to train today, Sunday (assuming my wife lets me) at John Machado's place in Culver City. Open mat starts at 1:00.

I doubt there will be any open mats tomorrow though.

Temporarily training at a capoeira space in Culver City, we might have an open mat at 3 on the 24th. Ive got about 4 guys willing to come in, if you're interested PM me and I can let you know once I confirm.

I'm visiting LA for the next few days, I might be interested in training tomorrow

Jimmy! We have class at brea jiu jitsu christmas eve at 7AM and on christmas at 6PM. Id be awesome to have you.

I just checked and my school is closed today. Too bad.

I'm still hoping to drop by TrumpetDan's school one of these days, even though it's really far from my house, almost to OC I believe.

we are in the heart of OC. There wont be much traffic tomorrow morning!

I think Ace Jiujitsu in Fountain Valley will have open mat on Monday at 1pm.

Ace Jiujitsu, so Buchecha teaches there? Pretty epic, he is really exciting to watch and must have some great technique to pass on for students.

But I thought he was at Surf City or Electric jiujitsu in Huntington Beach?

I'd like to go drop-in sometime in the future and check em' out.

Jimmy! We have class at brea jiu jitsu christmas eve at 7AM and on christmas at 6PM. Id be awesome to have you.

Thanks man, but I'm flying back to see my family in Pittsburgh on Christmas. It's the only way I could afford to see them at all. I'll definitely stop by sometime once I return. I'm looking forward to meeting ya and getting to roll with some more Sherdoggers!

Buchecha teaches at Ace Wed and Fri mornings and Mon and Wed nights gi class. He drops in on some open mats to roll with the other black belts.

By the way, one other option --- Karen Darabedyan (Gokor BB) is teaching at The Brentwood Club at Saturdays at 12:00. On Wilshire right by Bundy. Training at The Brentwood Club is always free for brown belts and up.

http://www.thebrentwoodclub.com/

Karen's skills are awesome, particularly his leglocks and nogi judo. So if you have any interest in that, highly recommended.

:confused::icon_excl

Are there classes only on Saturdays? That is pretty cool.

Machados next to OTM in Redondo used to have a free open mat (on Saturdays?). Not sure if this exists or not anymore since it was a really long time ago.

No, there are classes there every day. Trained there last night in fact. On weekends it is Karen tho.

By the way, one other option --- Karen Darabedyan (Gokor BB) is teaching at The Brentwood Club at Saturdays at 12:00. On Wilshire right by Bundy. Training at The Brentwood Club is always free for brown belts and up.

http://www.thebrentwoodclub.com/

Karen's skills are awesome, particularly his leglocks and nogi judo. So if you have any interest in that, highly recommended.

I've checked this place out, it's really nice! But very small.

Yeah, they describe it as a "boutique gym," which is pretty much an accurate way of describing a small gym with small class size. The guys who own it are great though and they have some excellent instructors.

Just wanted to give props to Brentwood club too. Great group of people there and every one there is super nice.

Back