lorde accused of being racist

man meets tate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
(CNN) -- An international war of words has broken out over a New Zealand pop star's chart-topping single, after an American blogger labeled the track racist.

"Royals," the debut single by Lorde, currently sits above hits from Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus at Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, making the 16-year-old the youngest artist to top the U.S. chart in 26 years.

The singer, who sings about rejecting the trappings of consumerism in "Royals," and has admonished fellow pop star Selena Gomez for being insufficiently feminist, has won plaudits from critics as a refreshing presence in the charts. But not everyone is a fan.

Writer Veronica Bayetti Flores took issue with the song's lyrics, in which Yelich-O'Connor sings that "every song" is about gold teeth and Maybach luxury cars -- both fixtures of hip-hop music videos -- before concluding "we don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams."

"While I love a good critique of wealth accumulation and inequity, this song is not one; in fact, it is deeply racist," wrote Bayetti Flores. "Because we all know who she's thinking when we're talking gold teeth, Cristal (champagne) and Maybachs. So why shit on black folks? Why shit on rappers?"

She concluded her post with the observation that the singer "apparently calls herself a feminist." "Let's just hope her feminism gets a lot less racist as she develops as an artist," she wrote.

The post attracted a massive online backlash from Lorde's fans and compatriots as well as other writers, with many claiming that Bayetti Flores, by interpreting the song through the prism of American race relations, was guilty of the kind of cultural arrogance she was attributing to the singer.

"I realize not everything in this world is an instrument of oppression," wrote New Zealand journalist Lynda Brendish. "And not everything in this world should be viewed through the lens of Americans, particularly when it comes to race and cultures of other countries. To insist otherwise is ignorant at best and imperialistic at worst."

Bayette Flores did not respond to a request for comment, but said on her Twitter page that she stood by her post, scoffing "at the quality of critiques" she was receiving in response. Amid the deluge of dissenting opinions, she also received a number of supportive tweets.

"Don't expect a Kiwi teen to know American race history, but then maybe she should step back from hip hop culture," she tweeted.

A spokesman for Universal Music New Zealand, Lorde's label, said the singer had no comment in response to the criticism.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/showbiz/lorde-royals-racism-spat/

sources320flores.jpg

So black people are what they buy? And to insult random consumer goods is racist? This is obnoxious.

Also, some sherdogger posted that piece of shit song and i made it like 30 seconds in.
It's honestly too terrible to be offended by.

She's insulting hip hop culture ie black people. It's tongue in cheek, and i don't think her intention is inherently racist. This is really a non-issue about a non-artist who makes non-music

What an amazing non-event that was.

It's a great song and she has talent. I don't see how you could say she doesn't have talent. It takes away from your credibility dramatically.

Also, some sherdogger posted that piece of shit song and i made it like 30 seconds in.
It's honestly too terrible to be offended by.

She's insulting hip hop culture ie black people. It's tongue in cheek, and i don't think her intention is inherently racist. This is really a non-issue about a non-artist who makes non-music

I think the song is great.

So black people are the only ones that produce hip-hop? That statement right there is racist. Dumb article.

It's actually hilarious you are as critical as you are, it shows just how dishonest you are.

And of course you also agree it's racist.

It's actually hilarious you are as critical as you are, it shows just how dishonest you are.

And of course you also agree it's racist.

I'm not being dishonest in saying it's not a great song. What's good about it? Some pretty girl singing about something besides partying? I'm sorry, i'll need more convicing.

If you don't like that i'm not digging this teeny bullshit, I'm deeply sorry, but i'm being 100% sincere when i say the song is fucking terrible.
If Lady Gaga made this song, you neckbeards would create a campfire and whine, bitch and moan about how "MODERN MUSIC IS JUST COMMERCIAL BULLSHIT".

Hate to break it to you, but so is this

It's a great song and she has talent. I don't see how you could say she doesn't have talent. It takes away from your credibility dramatically.

Agreed. I'm not much of a fan of that style of music, but the girl has talent, no doubt about it. Simply not liking the song is one thing, but to claim she isn't talented definitely shows a person's ignorance.

Agreed. I'm not much of a fan of that style of music, but the girl has talent, no doubt about it. Simply not liking the song is one thing, but to claim she isn't talented definitely shows a person's ignorance.

Name her talents.

I like her and I think shes a talented young lady. I dont think the lyrics are racists but people in America love pointing the race finger for a multiple of reasons.

Besides it's only music.

If Lady Gaga made this song, you neckbeards would create a campfire and whine, bitch and moan about how "MODERN MUSIC IS JUST COMMERCIAL BULLSHIT".

Lady Gaga has talent too. It's fine if you don't like it, but it's not garbage. Calling it a piece of shit is just dishonest.

Name her talents.

Singing.

Lady Gaga has talent too. It's fine if you don't like it, but it's not garbage. Calling it a piece of shit is just dishonest.

It's not dishonest, it's an opinion you don't agree with, and instead of listing the merits of the song and it's artist, all you've done is simply resort to whiny ad hominem.

What's good about the song. Inform me. Tell me with your advanced level of honesty what this song has going for it and what she's contributed to it to make it of such high quality.

And I definitely agree that Gaga is talented, far more talented than this little girl, yet she gets shit on immensely from neckbeards who can't handle her fame.

is her voice and vocal range any different from the vast majority of teenage girls?
What's impressive about her singing? You're going to have to be descriptive here instead of just stating something and not substantiating it.

For example, i could talk about how Amy Millan is a great singer because of how stressed she can make her high notes and still stay with a melody, and lower the pitch of her voice to bring out the instrumentation on a track.

So what is this girl doing that's indicative of talent?
Bieber has a better voice than her, and if he made this shitty song, i guarantee you wouldn't listen to it nor would you defend it.

It's cool you have a crush on a 16 year old, though. I don't know how old you are, but that's legal here and i commend you for your bravery.

Back