Lord Turner "Europe Turning Japanese"

In this song "turning Japanese" is a euphemism for masturbating - a reference to squinting the eyes... Which I never really got because I am, personally, a wide-eyed masturbator. In fact, if I don't need a few drops of Visine when it's over I consider it to have been a sub-par session.

There was an article just last week in the JapanTimes that said the low crime rate is a myth. Apparently, Japan has a very high rate of crimes against women that go unreported or even ignored. I seem to recall that the article said Japan is safe "except if you happen to be female."

Oh that article is mostly crap and isbbased on one person's experience here. Total and complete crap. Yes women do get cropped here a lot, but in general it is very safe here. That writer must've also believed that a HS kid day traded himself into $70m

I very much agree with sentiment that there is no one policy to address the problems in the Eurozone.

The Germans are adamant that more and more debt is unacceptable, not just because of their history but also for their future. Germany is aging and has no desire to load up on debt just as pension and healthcare costs are increasing for their elderly.

The Brits have a chronic housing shortage. I don't know why some kind of public-private investment bank to build housing isn't the answer. Construction is so good for an economy it seems a no-brainer.

The UK is building garden cities the problem is everyone wants to move to London which is massively overcrowded as it is. They would be better off investing in the midlands and the north(chuck Wales and Scotland in too) to increase jobs and encourage people to spread out a bit more. I'd happily move away from London if there was any decent jobs anywhere else.

The UK is building garden cities the problem is everyone wants to move to London which is massively overcrowded as it is. They would be better off investing in the midlands and the north(chuck Wales and Scotland in too) to increase jobs and encourage people to spread out a bit more. I'd happily move away from London if there was any decent jobs anywhere else.

Interesting. I love hearing from locals. I used to fancy living in a megagopolis, but that was when I was younger.

The whole world is becoming more urbanized given the concentrations of wealth and jobs. In Japan, on top of its demographic problems, younger people are fleeing for the cities, in particular Tokyo, despite the cost. The push now is to give regional governments more money and power.

In this song "turning Japanese" is a euphemism for masturbating - a reference to squinting the eyes... Which I never really got because I am, personally, a wide-eyed masturbator. In fact, if I don't need a few drops of Visine when it's over I consider it to have been a sub-par session.

Turning Japanese and Dancing With Myself. One thought to be a racist stab the other thought to be about something deep and meaningful. Both about jerking off.

Interesting. I love hearing from locals. I used to fancy living in a megagopolis, but that was when I was younger.

The whole world is becoming more urbanized given the concentrations of wealth and jobs. In Japan, on top of its demographic problems, younger people are fleeing for the cities, in particular Tokyo, despite the cost. The push now is to give regional governments more money and power.

Don't get me wrong London has some great benefits and I love spending time in central London but it is just so densely populated that housing is beyond the average person. I bought my first two bed flat back in 95 at 18 for

Japan has the same issue with Tokyo. All the young people move there, as that is where all the jobs are. Thing is, people in Tokyo have far fewer kids than the rest of Japan. So Tokyo is acting as a black hole.
Japan esp is vulnerable to disasters, so having it's entire economy centered in one mega city is dangerous. Just a bad idea for any country that isn't just a city aka Singapore.

Well the bank of Japan was the first major economy to implement quantitative easing if I am correct.

He is expecting another round of quantitative easing in the eurozone in 2015 but doubts its level of effectiveness and that Europe may be faced with a period of low growth and low inflation similar to what Japan has experienced.

This could exacerbate social tensions and see a further rise in far right/left parties and lead to the break up of the eurozone in a more extreme scenario.

We will have to see what the countries and the ECB will do.

From a UK perspective they talk about low inflation but that is unlikely to resonate with the man in the street who has to pay his bills and has seen the cost of living increase dramatically since the onset of the financial crisis.

More QE to encourage the banks to lend is all well and good but the results are not equitably shared.

We are looking at a massive NHS funding crisis in the next few years predicted to be a 20 billion black hole around 2020 not to mention an unknown black hole in pensions further down the line.

The govt has not been able to achieve its target of eliminating the deficit during this parliament nor achieve its targets for economic growth. They were warned that cutting to much to fast could hamper our long term growth and this has been the case, it has created a drag on our economy.

Now more supply side nonsense about tax cuts for the rich. They need to keep the 50% rate in place and lower VAT to stimulate consumer spending and another round of QE and they might just might be able to balance the books by the end of the next parliament unless we have a recession. Basically we are not growing fast enough to pay down the deficit and further cuts could be detrimental yet we have liabilities.

The scary thing is the uk economy is growing faster than most others. If inflation is so low and we are worried about deflation then why not stimulate the economy?

The national debt? We are not paying down the national debt now, it is growing by 2 billion pounds a week! Without economic growth we are fubar, we cant eliminate the deficit, the electorate won't stand for a 20 billion black hole in NHS spending when the govt can find 65 billion to bail out banks.

Lord Turner may be right that more 'radical' policies may be needed.
Yeah Japan did try it, but they stopped, and then thanks to corp profits, their currency strengthened rapidly.

I don't like the EU, but I thought it was despite the differences between countries' and their systems', was working. The low or no growth is going to test the EU greatly.

Sometimes, I wonder if not QE, why not just old fashion print some money? As, you guys WANT inflation, and it could, if used correctly benefit the regular people as well.

Austerity was too much too soon. Yes, you don't want massive deficits, but don't sink the ship to drown a rat. I wonder if the UK will recover enough to close it's account deficits. Seems like this is the future for many developed countries. Basically a race between your pop falling, and being able to pay out public pensions and NHS.

I honestly see some seriously radical groups emerging in the Euro zone, as you guys have some serious hacks running the show. Almost like the living version of the Obama charactures that the right wing has, are running things.

I don't believe you.

Don't get me wrong London has some great benefits and I love spending time in central London but it is just so densely populated that housing is beyond the average person. I bought my first two bed flat back in 95 at 18 for

Europeans live too comfortably now. They need something that's going to kick them back into reality. I hope for a total economic collapse.

And you can keep dreaming about ,pray or whatever your into for that to happen not before a long time except maybe greece again tsss...

History repeats itself. Nationalism will unite them soon.

Nationalism uniting Europe? you really need to pickup an history book.

Maybe you should had let the Germans take everything over back in WW2, they are the only ones that seem to be doing well.

Just updating to say the EU has slipped into deflation, although there is still debate about what it means. To counterbalance the article below, the top German banker says there is little risk of deflation taking root.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...is-the-final-betrayal-of-southern-Europe.html

Man, poor Eurozone. It seemed like it was going to overtake the US back in the mid 2000s. The dollar was weakening, the Euro was becoming a real reserve currency. Amazing. Now the EU will be lucky to grow at all in the near term

Princes of the Yen: Central Banks and the Transformation of the Economy

Back