Television THE RINGS OF POWER (Only 37% of Viewers Finished the Series, post #1917)

If you have watched the entire season one of RINGS OF POWER, how do you feel about it?

• Total voters
I think Its Valinor during the time of the 2 trees.

Even before the 1st age

U can tell by the giant radiating trees in da background.

This series is confirmed as taking place in the 2nd age isnt it? Amazon don't have the rights to the Silmarillion material only events mentioned in the appendix of LOTR.

So its likely to be the story of the forging of the rings of power and the wars with Sauron.

Last edited:
This should NOT be like Game of Thrones. LOTR should be very inspirational, more like the original Star Wars trilogy in the emotional sense.

I can see it having a similar kind of issue to STarwars with the originals and the prequels though.

LOTR really works by being an "outsiders" view into this fantasy world, the Hobbits don't really know much about it and the audience/reader is basically drawn into it with them the same way Luke is just a farm boy discovering the Starwars universe. This though seems like its going to be more of a direct story of the "high and mighty" characters like the prequels were and I wonder whether it will struggle the way they did?

They could I spose invent some "normal" characters, lower level men/elves/dwaves who we see the events unfold though.

This series is confirmed as taking place in the 2nd age isnt it? Amazon don't have the rights to the Silmarillion material only events mentioned in the appendix of LOTR.

So its likely to be the story of the forging of the rings of power and the wars with Sauron.

I heard that as well but if you look at the pic

upload_2021-10-31_5-56-28.png

you can see two giant trees of light which occur in only one place in Tolkien lore.

I thought maybe Mallorn trees and it was just the sun behind them, but they don't grow in Eregion and that second tree looks to be made of almost pure light.

So maybe they have more rights than we thought, or they are adding in things that to the lore of the 2nd age for the show

Which is pretty much my fear for the series.

Since they don't have enough material from the appendices we end up with a bunch of corporate scriptwriters fresh outta the latest summer blockbusters trying to match the works of Tolkien, and end up creating new characters and story arcs that detract from the original work.

Call me a cynic, but I find it hard to believe there are any writers in Hollywood that could hope to hold a candle to Tolkien's literary skill while meeting a 8 week deadline or whatever the production schedule is.

Kind like what they did to the Hobbit but even worse because there is even less material in the appendices to make a series on than the Hobbit.

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-31_5-55-32.png
    upload_2021-10-31_5-55-32.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 2
I heard that as well but if you look at the pic

View attachment 888007

you can see two giant trees of light which occur in only one place in Tolkien lore.

I thought maybe Mallorn trees and it was just the sun behind them, but they don't grow in Eregion and that second tree looks to be made of almost pure light.

So maybe they have more rights than we thought, or they are adding in things that to the lore of the 2nd age for the show

Which is pretty much my fear for the series.

Since they don't have enough material from the appendices we end up with a bunch of corporate scriptwriters fresh outta the latest summer blockbusters trying to match the works of Tolkien, and end up creating new characters and story arcs that detract from the original work.

Call me a cynic, but I find it hard to believe there are any writers in Hollywood that could hope to hold a candle to Tolkien's literary skill while meeting a 8 week deadline or whatever the production schedule is.

Kind like what they did to the Hobbit but even worse because there is even less material in the appendices to make a series on than the Hobbit.

Maybe a bit of a reference to the two trees having the light of the sun behind a tree? there is a good deal of that kind of thing in Jacksons films were theres uncertainty between natural light and magic(espeically around Gandalf) and its possible the Mallorn tree maybe were Galadriel lives? so they want to play it up as important? My guess is the figure in the foreground is Sauron in his Annatar guise.

I do definately share your fears about whether the writting can match Tolkiens, espeically as like I said this series has the potential for a lot of "grandeur". I think its noteble that in Jacksons films he keeps more of writting around the grander characters, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, etc do use a lot of dialog direct from Tolkien were as the more down to earth characters have more original dialog that was probably easier to write.

Annatar I spose does seem like the kind of thing I could see writters getting their teeth into a bit, I think having that corrupting influence more directly embedded in the story with more conflict and drama around it probably makes for easier writting than just having the wise discussing events/plans amoung themselves. It does obviously seem to be potential for the series to be more "GOTish" with this evil manipulator stiring things up both in Eraigon and maybe also in Numenor?

I mean there is a great story to be told there I think but a lot of work building up characters with relatively basic sketches.

Last edited:
lord_of_the_rings_002.0.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/22927015/am...the-rings-of-power-character-photos-galadriel

Thats Galadriel isnt it? actress looks like Morfydd Clark(lead actress from St Maud) whos playing her.

Honestly I'm still unsure whether it will be anygood or not but realistically Sherdog won't care about that at all, it will just become another tedious cultural war moan fest from boring middle aged men.

Last edited:
I gave the Hobbit a chance and I’ll give this a chance too. The Hobbit was obviously rushed, stretched and way too cgi heavy. We know practically nothing about this new Amazon series other then it’s set during the 2nd age. I’m not gonna judge this based on a few still images. It could be great, it could be crap, we’ll find out soon enough.

Why do dwarves have dark skin? Literally just chilling in a mountain all the time without barely ever getting sun. They're based on Nordic people anyway, aren't they? Christ this is going to suck. If you want darker skin people in a fantasy setting just put them in a part of the world that's really hot like Game of Thrones did.

This argument has always sucked. There are still rules even within a fantasy setting. You don't just have a place like the Shire and randomly change it into multi-cultural village. It has its own history and it should be respected. I don't care that it is fantasy, you still got to respect the world that was built.
It's just silly to expect that IPs are going to be endlessly rebooted and recycled, and ALL of the roles will remain white in EVERY iteration. Especially in Hollywood, that has a long history of changing races in roles. Many, many roles were whitewashed throughout history, even roles rooted in historical events, and that's fine.

But as soon as a traditionally white role is changed to a minority It's a huge offense. It should be pretty damn obvious that almost all of the older iconic roles were white, and why that is. But as the demographic of the country changes it should be obvious to people, that they're not going to reboot these properties over and over and keep the entire cast white.

Yeah and a perfect example of that would be the TV show Kung Fu with David Carradine who took the role from Bruce Lee. I agree that Hollywood has a history of whitewashing but that doesn't mean they should continue to make equally dumb decisions in the opposite direction. Its okay to make movies that have a cast of 100% whites or 100% asians, or blacks, etc. That doesn't mean its racist if its trying to accurately depict the mythology from the book or the part of the world that its based off. Imagine if they rewrote Black Panther to be more inclusive. It would be equally as stupid because it spits in the face of fans who fell in love with the lore of these fictional worlds. Diversity is a great thing but it doesn't need to be in literally everything.
It's a bit disingenuous that everyone goes right to black panther, one of a handful of IPs that are concretely about racial identity. It's pretty evident that race is a more essential component in BP than it is in Spiderman, or in other superhero stories.

Hell comics reboot these characters all the time in order to put a new spin on a property and try to reach a new demo. There's a long history of races and genders of roles being swapped around in both fictional and historical properties. Spiderman alone had both the Ben Reilly Spiderman, who was white like Parker, and the Miles Morales Spiderman.

There's been a black captain america as well as a different white captain America. Rebooting fictional characters is in no way a new or controversial thing.

Back