Looking to start training for MMA....

Naptownwrestler

White Belt
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman in college and fighting seems to be one of my favorite sports since I was little. I can finally start training (turned 18 and no longer need parental approval :icon_chee ) . Anyways their are two schools that I am looking into and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which one to go to.
Their is this place that I know one person that goes here. He says they do alot of Muay Thai Striking but I guess thats because thats the classes he Signed up for.
IveyLeague MMA - Welcome Page

And this place that seems like its a good place for BJJ.
Garfield MMA - Annapolis, Maryland - Mixed Martial Arts

I wrestled all 4 years in high school and hope to wrestle sophomore year in college cuz i need to get in better shape and work on technique before i can wrestle in college. Also I have been into boxing basically my whole life. I know the basics but I know their is alot I need to learn. Also do you guys suggest that I go to an MMA school like this or should I find a boxing gym and fine tune my boxing then work my way up the ranks for a BJJ Belt. Thank you for all your input and I can't wait to start my journey of becoming a great fighter and I will do whatever it takes to make it to the top.

Hi you have a fantastic start in high school, which is a very good thing for a future in MMA fighting in college and such. The website links you provided are excellent ad as far as BJJ goes, you already have plenty of ground experience from wrestling. :) However I have always said you can never have too much.(This is a new account I created) But if you can find/have a Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jiutsu school near you that would be even better. I've been there and the atmosphere is friendly, and you learn A LOT. Now going back to your first link, it seems like an excellent choice. Always remember though... now there a lot of McDojo's opening up so you do have to be careful that you don't go into one and get ripped off. The two links you provided however don't look like them though so you should be good. But I HIGHLY reccomend Gracie Barra BJJ :)

If you have plenty of boxing experience, even if it was non-competitive, IMO you are better off going to do some kind of muay thai/kick boxing so you can learn that aspect of the game as well. The sooner you learn how to throw and deal with kicks the better.
Good luck in your training. :icon_chee

I don't like the attitude of the 2nd site.
"Gracie Jiu-Jitsu has been used to dominate mixed martial arts competitions around the world. There is no other superior ground fighting style than Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. This is true. There are other ground fighting systems that can complement Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, but they are far inferior."
This is just simple not true, you don't have to be a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Black belt to be a great MMA instructor.

Edit: More bullshit quotes I have to add.
"Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the added attention you will receive from loved ones or those who never knew you existed. Friends may tell you that you look 5 to 10 years younger."
"Self-Defense - Since you're training like an Ultimate Fighter, you'll learn to defend yourself like one. We incorporate the arts of Boxing, Kickboxing, Gracie (Brazilian) Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling and Judo to become the Ultimate in Self Defense. Learn to stop and subdue a stronger and bigger attacker with the most in-demand self-defense system ever created!"

The biggest one I don't like though is this, "Mixed Martial Arts fighters are the best-conditioned athletes on the planet - Period!!! "which is absolute bullshit.

Thanks for all the help. Also I was wondering I really want to make fighting as my career but it seems like they are pretty underpaid. Anyways my real question is can you make enough to support a family and all that as just a fighter alone and also can you work another job as well as fighting? I'm talking about if you were in the UFC because I know Shane Carwin is an engineer and basically has fighting as a side job. Thanks again for clearing everything up for me.

Thanks for all the help. Also I was wondering I really want to make fighting as my career but it seems like they are pretty underpaid. Anyways my real question is can you make enough to support a family and all that as just a fighter alone and also can you work another job as well as fighting? I'm talking about if you were in the UFC because I know Shane Carwin is an engineer and basically has fighting as a side job. Thanks again for clearing everything up for me.

My suggestion is get at least one amateur fight under your belt before you even consider trying to make career out of it.
Here's the deal: the vast majority of professional fighters don't make more than $1000 per fight. If you manage to work your way through the amateur ranks and go professional, expect to start somewhere like $250 to show, $250 to win. Obviously if you work your way up the ranks and get some fans/sponsors you'll start getting paid more. That's a huge if though. There are a lot of guys completely committed to the sport that train everyday and fight like their life is on the line, if you want to have a shot at making a career out of MMA you'll have to become one of those people.
Basically, don't get your hopes up to make a career out of MMA. Once you start training you'll probably realize you wouldn't want to anyway. To make a living fighting it takes a lot of natural talent, a lot of luck and a shitload of hard work. At this point, you should be training and figuring out if you even want to compete at all, let alone at a professional level.

Teaching is a good way to make a living as a fighter, its not for everyone though. Major in another career of interest (i.e. engineering) and minor in health and fitness. then you can become a personal trainer, work in one of those overpriced gyms teaching aerobic kickboxing and train at your mma school in all your free time

Back