Looking to join an Aikido club, what should I expect?

^^^every aikido guy i've ever rolled with has been like bubble boy described. a big black belt who tried to rip off my wrists, sometimes caused a little pain, but couldnt control the submission because they didnt know anything about leverage on the ground. once you know its coming tho, you can just rip your wrist out of their grasp. aikido seems to rely a lot on surprise.

In general wrestling and BJJ coaches' top priority is to have a strong school, a real mean ass kicking mother fucker of a school, while last-resort schools are often founded for the express purpose of making money.

Clearly you don't know much about how much money these schools make! They don't make crap...

:D

I'd say focused on being a children's activity/exercise club/social club than 'fight club'. But they are money pits.

colinm said:
gregster is this guy in fight finder?

My instructor? I can't imagine he would be. He competed in WTF Taekwondo competitions, and that was about 15 years ago. He's been out of the fight game for a loooong time, and is a well-paid CPA for Mills Corp now.

BBN: I had given you a detailed response to your last post, then I decided it'd be better that I didn't for a variety of reasons, not the least of which I don't want to get this thread sent to OT. So I'll just sum up-- you don't have the first friggin' clue what you're talking about now anymore than you ever have-- and leave it at that.

http://www.toshidojo.com/

This place looks fairly good quality judo, and they have two locations that are both in the Louisville metro area.

I have sparred with a number of aikidoka. Without exception, the only ones that were any good (standing or on the ground) were the ones that had cross-trained in judo or bjj.

While Aikido does a lot of drilling throws and wristlocks, the vast majority of aikido schools (in the united states, at least) have no randori. If you never spar live, you will never develop the timing, reflexes, and knowledge of positioning to apply the things you've drilled to someone who is really trying to stop you.

Gregster said:
My instructor? I can't imagine he would be. He competed in WTF Taekwondo competitions, and that was about 15 years ago. He's been out of the fight game for a loooong time, and is a well-paid CPA for Mills Corp now.

BBN: I had given you a detailed response to your last post, then I decided it'd be better that I didn't for a variety of reasons, not the least of which I don't want to get this thread sent to OT. So I'll just sum up-- you don't have the first friggin' clue what you're talking about now anymore than you ever have-- and leave it at that.

heres my summary: asian arts are based on each others one way or another. this means if u take two grappling TMAs, u're not really getting two points of view. you end up looking at two different things the same way, which is what taking several TMA grappling is, rather than one thing in different ways, which is what cross training does.

fatherdog said:
http://www.toshidojo.com/

This place looks fairly good quality judo, and they have two locations that are both in the Louisville metro area.

I have sparred with a number of aikidoka. Without exception, the only ones that were any good (standing or on the ground) were the ones that had cross-trained in judo or bjj.

While Aikido does a lot of drilling throws and wristlocks, the vast majority of aikido schools (in the united states, at least) have no randori. If you never spar live, you will never develop the timing, reflexes, and knowledge of positioning to apply the things you've drilled to someone who is really trying to stop you.

That is the dojo I have been going to. It is only about one mile from my house. I thought it was a Judo dojo when I first went there becuase I found it off of the same link you posted. However, the main training is there is Aikido. I think there are some other groups (TKD, BJJ, Judo) that use the dojo sometimes but not on a regular basis to my knowledge.

Thanks again for everyones input on this thread. From what I have gathered, Aikido probably is not the best MA to take if I am planning to be an ultimate figher (which I am not) or if your someone that is constintly getting into fights (never been in a fight my whole life). However, if taken seriously and practiced regularly over a period of time, Aikido can be very effective for basic self-defense against your average person on the street.

I have really enjoyed my time so far at this dojo and the guys (and one gal) there have been great. As of now, I plan to continue training Aikido.

Didja look in yellow pages? Not all gyms have websites. I found many local MA schools than on yahoo yellow pages and online.

BlackBeltNow said:
heres my summary: asian arts are based on each others one way or another. this means if u take two grappling TMAs, u're not really getting two points of view. you end up looking at two different things the same way, which is what taking several TMA grappling is, rather than one thing in different ways, which is what cross training does.

Right, Gotcha. This, as opposed to Brazilian Ju Jitsu, which in spite of having "Ju Jitsu" in the name has absolutely zero basis in the more classical arts such as, say, Ju Jistu.

And I have no idea why you're mentioning taking "multiple grappling TMAs" and what relevance that has to anything anyone is saying here. I can only assume you're carrying on a discussion with the voices in your head-- the ones where you get your bizarre, other-worldly "facts" from.

bmassey said:
I have really enjoyed my time so far at this dojo and the guys (and one gal) there have been great. As of now, I plan to continue training Aikido.
Mate, as long as YOU are enjoying yourself there, just keep going.

You'll always get knockers for every style - go to some forums and ask about BJJ & they'll laugh at you and tell you it is really useless because you are tied up with one opponent. No matter what people say - there's something to be gained from training in any martial art/combat sport, from maintaining fitness & flexibility, discipline or social reasons.

Enjoy your training.

judogido said:
Mate, as long as YOU are enjoying yourself there, just keep going.

You'll always get knockers for every style - go to some forums and ask about BJJ & they'll laugh at you and tell you it is really useless because you are tied up with one opponent. No matter what people say - there's something to be gained from training in any martial art/combat sport, from maintaining fitness & flexibility, discipline or social reasons.

Enjoy your training.

Kind of like when they ask the fitness guru "What type of exercise should I do to get in better shape?" And he/she says:

"The one you'll actually do."

photo4.jpg

Silva is training Aikido.

HBushido said:
I've been teaching Aikido for close to 5 years now, and have been practicing it for 13 years. It's good if you keep the reality in the training. Also, Aikido means "the way of harmony". The only principle of Aikido is that you blend with whatever energy is coming your way. It is not about a certain technique or a wrist lock or anything like that. If you remember to not get sucked into the bullshit tradition and mystical aspect of it, the principle is the best.

Remember (I just really can't say this enough), BLENDING WITH THE ENERGY THAT COMES TOWARD YOU IS THE ONLY TRUE PRINCIPLE OF AIKIDO!!!! Not certain moves or techniques, but blending with energy. When a boxer rolls with the punch to take power away from that punch, that is the principle of Aikido, even though that it's not a "Aikido technique". People will tell you about the founder and all of his KI energy and his spectacle of having 4 people push him at once to no avail; DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THAT SHIT. Take the principle of Aikido that you will learn by observing your movement through the usual techniques and apply that knowledge of harmony with every movement that you do.

That's my advice. Use it if you wish.

Boxers are taught to not roll with punching tho. No offence to aikido.

It depends on what you're looking top get from Aikido. If you're seeking combat effectiveness, but like the emphasis on lots of wristlocks, unblancing, try Daito Ryu, or Judo, or Taiho jutsu. Shodokan Aikido is a "Hardline" Aikido. I've been to an demo of that form, and the Sensei was mid 50's about 5'4" 120lbs and threw aroudn several 2nd and 3rd dan Top state level Judoka.

I think that... modern Aikido as it stands now isn't really good.

Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu (Aikido's more badass predecessor) and Hapkido (Daito Ryu's Korean cousin) would be much more useful than Aikido.

As I've read, Hapkido and Daito Ryu make better usage of the whole "cricle theory throwing" thing. And also, Hapkido and Daito Ryu have strikes, Hapkido having a more versatile kicking system than Daito Ryu.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Aikido trains very little in striking techniques. Also, aikido seems to be more defensive than Daito or Hapkido. Daito or Hapkido, as it seems to me, gives you a lot of offensive options as well. A good offense is a good defense. Also Daito and Hapkido give you a basic knowledge of ground fighting...

But if you gotta do Aikido, you gotta do Tomiki Aikido which actually does randori. I'm not too fond of Aikido, but meh... what do I know.

As for the original threadstarter, I'd go with Taekwondo, provided it's not a mcdojang. Please.. spare me the snickers. But at least Taekwondo does full contact kicking sparring. It's better than AIkido sparring which isn't very realistic

Back