1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Looking to get a stronger core, bulk up.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by youandme, Aug 8, 2010.

1. youandme

youandme All on the DL.

Hey guys, forgive me if it's a long read.

I'm 24 years old. 5'11, just shy of 6 feet tall. 155 lbs.

for the last 5 or 6 months I've been running about 20 minutes a session, 3 times a week, I go about 2 kilometers.

I decided it's time to stick to a plan and bulk up. I'm skinny and my cardio is decent. But I want some core strength and a bigger frame, partially for vanity I wont lie, but also for way more core strength and health.

I was going to buy a bar and some weights some time this week and start. I plan on exercising 20-30minutes a day. Maybe do cardio one day, and strength and bulk the next day, and swap. Take one day off to do no exercise, so 6 days a week.

I don't want to waste time and money with a gym, but I'd love to know if I can do complete exercises with just a bar and maybe a couple other things.

Also, for those that know, what kind of diet should I be dealing with? whats the deal with protein shakes, whats the protein/fat/grain/etc breakdown?

How many sets should I be doing based on my intake? ETC ETC ETC.

Are there any online resources I could check out?

Any help at all would be wonderful, thank you so much in advance.

2. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

This is the short answer.

[​IMG]

[SIZE=+2]+[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=+2]+[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=+2]+[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=+2]+[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=+2]=[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

3. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

1. Read the FAQ's.

2. If you really want to gain weight, drink a gallon of whole milk a day and cut the cardio back, maybe to like once a week or none at all.

3. As for online resources, this forum has lots of good information if you look for it.

Also, this site, forum, and book: Starting Strength

4. Read the FAQ's.

Edit: See above post for visual answer.

4. YetiFeet

YetiFeet Guest

That image montage thing should be a sticky

speaking of stickies, read the FAQ... it will change your life dun dun dun!

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

For starters, read the FAQ.

If it takes you 20 minutes to run 2 kM, I wouldn't call your cardio decent. Definitely something to continue to work on.

To start you want an olympic bar, and plenty of weights. If you're willing to spend more money I'd suggesting ordering a higher quality bar over the internet, like a rogue bar, texas power bar, Ivanko, or if you really want to go high end, a werksan or Eleiko bar. You'll probably get a pretty mediocore bar if you buy from a store.

A power rack and a bench as well would be ideal, but if that's to much money, you can make squat stands (google: "home made squat stands"), or even a power rack if you have some skill.

Read the FAQ in the D&S sub-forum. Protein shakes are just a convenient way to get easy to digest protein.

Starting Strength Wiki

6. plugchop

plugchop Blue Belt

If you put as much effort into your training as you did with reading the goddamn FAQ and searching the goddamn forum before posting, I'm sure you'll be a beast in no time. :rolleyes:

7. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

You are 1" taller than me, and I outweigh you by 60 lbs.

For fuck's sake man, lift some weights! Eat some food!