Looking to buy a new laptop

It may be on the lower end of your price range at $442, but this Laptop would more than suit your needs TS. I have a similar one and I'm really satisfied with it so far. It's a little on the heavy side, but that doesn't bother me.

A208_1_201606231560545876.jpg

• Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz
  • 8 GB Memory
  • 1 TB 7200RPM NEW HDD
  • 14" LED-Backlit Display
  • DVD-RW Optical Drive
  • Windows 10 Professional
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ell_Latitude_E6430-_-9SIA2084841479-_-Product

Windows 10! really? Do you hate TS or something?

I'm in a similar situation, I just need a basic laptop to hook to my existing monitor etc and use as a desktop

But Can still take it with me on travels :)

But I don't play crazy hardware demanding video games or even use CDs or DVDs in any capacity.

Windows has gone off the rails after 7. I couldn't advise it to anyone. Everything about the user experience with Mac is better. If you're poor that's fine. Get a cheap windows POS. If you have the money to buy a nice computer, which TS does because he said his budget was $1500, then get a Mac that you'll actually enjoy. I use PC at work, like most people, then I get home and get to enjoy my Mac. If you don't understand the difference then that's your deal.

without the vitriol you say? you ought to heed your own advice.

I've had this argument on here for years here on the 'dog, & literally every other day as an IT professional for over 10 years now.

you post nothing of merit & I know fully well you know not how to argue this effectively, & collectively I might add - why?

let me break this down for you simply.

I courteously look the broad approach so as to let you steer the direction of this exchange, because I know all too well the typical directions Mac users always default to when this comes up. still, you resorted to factor in your personal feelings into this exchange - take a step back & think about how damn right shameful that is, I mean that.

I have the luxury of working, testing, & owning all technologies prevalent to corporate businesses here in the Concrete Jungle & I get paid for it.

if you're going to come at me, come at me with some fucking juice.

if you're going to come at me, come at me with some fucking juice.
Given your criticism, this post was surprisingly lacking in 'juice'. If you want to critique something I've said then have at it. I've made my points very clearly. I think the Mac is a nicer machine to own. You pay more but they generally last longer and the user experience is better, so to me it's money well spent. You can spend $100 on a nice pair of jeans that you'll enjoy owning for many years or you can go get something cheap out of the discount bin that doesn't fit right and isn't very attractive. That, to me, is what it comes down to with the PC/Mac comparison.

Windows has gone off the rails after 7. I couldn't advise it to anyone. Everything about the user experience with Mac is better. If you're poor that's fine. Get a cheap windows POS. If you have the money to buy a nice computer, which TS does because he said his budget was $1500, then get a Mac that you'll actually enjoy. I use PC at work, like most people, then I get home and get to enjoy my Mac. If you don't understand the difference then that's your deal.
TS said he wants a laptop to watch movies and you recommend a Mac?
krysten-ritter-eyeroll-seriouly.gif

Last edited:
I already restarted the device, and I was only able to connect my PC, my phone and consoles can't connect for some reason
I'm in the routerlogin domain, and I can't find anything that indicates an issue.
Make sure it's not doing something like MAC address filtering or static DHCP which might be denying those devices from obtaining an IP.

Also make sure the type of wireless security enabled is something the devices are capable of. (probably not an issue anymore but this used to happen in the old days)

Make sure it's not doing something like MAC address filtering or static DHCP which might be denying those devices from obtaining an IP.

Also make sure the type of wireless security enabled is something the devices are capable of. (probably not an issue anymore but this used to happen in the old days)

How do I make sure there is no filtering or denying?

How do I make sure there is no filtering or denying?
Well I have an Asus router running Tomato firmware so the menu would be different, but Static DHCP settings are under Basic -> DDNS and MAC filtering settings are Basic -> Wireless Filter.

You could also check the access or client logs to see which devices are connected and have been recently. Those are usually accessible under Device List or Access Log.

Given your criticism, this post was surprisingly lacking in 'juice'. If you want to critique something I've said then have at it. I've made my points very clearly. I think the Mac is a nicer machine to own. You pay more but they generally last longer and the user experience is better, so to me it's money well spent. You can spend $100 on a nice pair of jeans that you'll enjoy owning for many years or you can go get something cheap out of the discount bin that doesn't fit right and isn't very attractive. That, to me, is what it comes down to with the PC/Mac comparison.

nyet. let me break it down for you, from the original breakdown.

you lack user experience & are at 'novice' level at best.

here, let me test you with something real easy. does this make sense to you?

VizRT > Adobe After Effects

Since you are willing to spend more than 1000 bucks for a laptop, just buy this one: http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM170008065/A38932

It has optical disc unit, and for the specs I think is not expensive. You get a Intel i7, 16 RAM, a kickass video card. I know you don't game that much. But it doesn't hurt. Maybe you can try it and watch how this laptop kicks your consoles in the butt big time.

Provided you take care of it, this laptop should be good for like 6 years.

I've worked in computer repair for a long time, and like I tell everyone about laptops, I've seen more problems with Toshibas than all other brands combined. People are attracted to Toshibas often being the cheapest of all, but they are horrendous. So, whatever you do, stay far away from Toshibas! Horrendous hardware issues.

If you are going with windows, I would recommend acer (which is also gateway). or dells. HPs are ok too. never toshiba. With any laptop, it is always worth it to get the extended warranty.

Last edited:
If you're just using your laptop for media consumption, you can get by spending WAY less than 1500. Hell, if you're not doing any work on it or gaming, you could probably get by with a chromebook.

If you are going with windows, I would recommend asus (which is also gateway). or dells. HPs are ok too. never toshiba. With any laptop, it is always worth it to get the extended warranty.
Whats your thoughts on Lenovo

Good, I looked up and would agree with the attached picture as far as ratings. The only change I would make is perhaps bump up Acer. I have found a lot of laptops have trouble around the time the factory warranty expires, usually one year, so always get the extended warranty. I know of Dell laptops still in heavy use since the early 2000s that are going strong. Like I said in previous posts, Toshibas are so bad, I have no idea how they are still allowed to sell them.

best-worst_ltp_brands_2016_full-scorecard_v2.5.jpg

I've worked in computer repair for a long time, and like I tell everyone about laptops, I've seen more problems with Toshibas than all other brands combined. People are attracted to Toshibas often being the cheapest of all, but they are horrendous. So, whatever you do, stay far away from Toshibas! Horrendous hardware issues.

I have a 10 year old Toshiba that I've had 0 hardware problems with. I couldn't update from XP when Microsoft put the endless update loop that locked up computers. I have Ubuntu on it now.

I have a 10 year old Toshiba that I've had 0 hardware problems with. I couldn't update from XP when Microsoft put the endless update loop that locked up computers. I have Ubuntu on it now.
That's good you got lucky with that one. I've seen so many brand new with problems I lost count. They are always last in reviews.

Back