Looking to buy a new laptop

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Rampage12716, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Rampage12716

Rampage12716 Brown Belt

I know absolutely nothing about computers but I'm in desperate need of a new laptop. Looking for a laptop with the basics: A lot of storage that works quickly. Just basic things really. I watch a lot of DVDs, Netflix etc. on my laptop so a quality display and video playback is a necessity, Preferably looking for the best one I can find that's under 1,500 bucks. I literally understand nothing about RAM, memory or processors. So any input would be appreciated.

Does anyone have suggestions on a specific laptop I should be looking at? Or what type (Mac, Dell, HP etc.)?

EDIT: I was informed that most laptops these days don't have a DVD drive so scratch that part haha. Also, is this the right forum for this thread?

Also, good battery life is super important to me. (Is 5 hours off the charger too much to ask for?)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. bubbleboyjones

bubbleboyjones Belt Purple

My advice would be don't get a Mac if you need to watch DVDs.

3. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Gold Belt Banned

Or any computer made after 2014, don't discriminate against Mac for that.

Organic Damage and BennyOcean like this.
  4. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

laptop w/ a disc drive? you trippin?

BennyOcean likes this.
  5. Rampage12716

Rampage12716 Brown Belt

Really? Most laptops don't have a DVD drive nowadays? Shows you how long it's been since I looked at a laptop.

6. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

For $1500, you can buy a damn good laptop. Get something that has 8GB of RAM. Can't really go wrong. Just buy one with a built in DVD drive

22k likes this.
  7. ehtheist

ehtheist #FreeBanchan Banned

Do you want to watch movies on the laptop screen, or do you want to output it to a TV or monitor?

8. mushishi

mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

Do you plan to travel with it? If so, get something small and light, like a 13" ultrabook.

If you're going to leave it at home and use it mainly for movies, get a 15 or 17".

BoobyMcBoobFace and BennyOcean like this.
  9. Rav1nHunter

Rav1nHunter Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

BennyOcean likes this.
  10. BennyOcean

BennyOcean Blue Belt

That's what I was thinking. TS if you're determined to have an internal disc drive then you can get a refurbished old Mac laptop direct from Apple. If you don't find what you're looking for then try Ebay.

Well under budget at $829, 2012 Macbook Pro with a disc drive. 4gb of RAM is considered low by modern standards but unless you're doing something hardware-intensive like video processing I wouldn't worry about it. For the price it's a nice unit.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/F...133-inch-macBook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5

If you don't mind using an external disc drive then you can get whatever you want. I'm using a 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina.

If you are a student, or if you know someone who's a college student (which is kind of cheating) then you can get a discount. 13 inch Retina MBP is $1400 before tax which puts you right around your target number of $1500:

http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF840LL/A&step=config#

But seriously, if you mainly just surf the net and watch DVD's then I'd go with the $829 refurbished model and save the rest of your money for something else.

11. BennyOcean

BennyOcean Blue Belt

Disc drives increase size and weight. Modern laptops, like the MBP13 Retina I referenced above, use flash memory. The priority has gone toward speed and light weight. 256 gb is not a ton of memory but it's flash and lightning fast. If you need more memory it's done on the cloud or with an external hard drive. If you need a disc drive then they are cheap and can easily be connected via USB. There's no real need to have them in your computer for most consumers.

Organic Damage and mushishi like this.
  12. BennyOcean

BennyOcean Blue Belt

I normally don't multi-post like this but whatever, trying to be helpful... if you're more comfortable with Windows I just wanted to say that the Surface Book is a fantastic machine. I've never owned one but I've used it and it's very nice. Similar build quality to the Macbook and it has a touchscreen, high resolution monitor, and little pen thing that I think they call a stylus. It'd be beyond your $1500 budget unless you're a student but anyway it's worth taking a look before making your decision.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book?&SEMID=1&WT.srch=1&ocid=oc-sbook_SEM_Google_PERF_CON_en-US_windows surface book&wt.mc_id=oc-sbook_SEM_Google_PERF_CON_en-US_windows surface book

But seriously, the refurbished $829 model with the disc drive is probably an ideal option for you. Based on what you said you're looking for I have no doubt that you'd be more than satisfied with it. To me OSX is a better operating system and I have no regrets about the money I've spent on my Mac. Also they tend to last longer than a typical Windows machine. When I was getting Windows laptops (from HP and Dell) I'd replace them every 2 or 3 years. My 2013 Macbook I'll probably keep for 6 years at least, which is pretty unheard of in the world of Windows laptops. So to me it's money well spent.

13. bubbleboyjones

2014? No thats bullshit. It's rare now but it's not some impossible feat to purchase a laptop with one today.

14. BennyOcean

BennyOcean Blue Belt

He was making a generalization. In general, modern laptops don't prioritize disc drives over things like weight and size.

Joe Wong likes this.
  15. ehtheist

ehtheist #FreeBanchan Banned

Unless you specifically want an Apple machine, don't listen to this guy. You'll pay significantly more for the same hardware and, frankly, unless you are used to and like the Apple ecosystem, unless you're sick of PCs, you're just paying a crap ton more for the same hardware. That $1400 would buy you a machine that craps the hardware of a Retina MBP at the same price point.

That being said, if you like the Apple ecosystem, if you're using an iPhone/iPad already, going all-in on Apple services isn't a bad idea to keep things simple. They're well built machines and very contained, and it doesn't sound like you're a very high-octane user.

16. Steve-French

Steve-French What A Rush!!!

I have bought 2 laptops within the past year and both have had DVD drives.
    I would suggest going to Newegg.com to purchase you're laptop. They have great deals there. Go with a refurbished one. I found a deal where I got a $1000 laptop refurbished for a little over $200.

For what you are going to use it for it doesn't sound like you need to spend a a lot of money. My only recommendation would be to make sure you get one with a processor that is at least 2.50 ghz and has an i5 core or higher.

BennyOcean and bubbleboyjones like this.
  17. bubbleboyjones

No he said "any computer made after 2014" and then said I was discriminating against Apple which is hilarious since im posting this from an Apple laptop. The facts are Apple hasn't produce a laptop with an optical drive in 4 years therefore I'd say my statement is pretty accurate. Stay away from Apple if DVDs are a big priority.

Bigsquid and 22k like this.
  18. BennyOcean

BennyOcean Blue Belt

I did mention the Surface Book, didn't I, shithead? All I can do is give you my experience. I've used many PC's and this is my first Mac. I have an Android phone. I'm no Apple fanboy, I just try to make smart purchases. Also I tried to steer him toward the less expensive refurbished Mac with the disc drive that he wants. I'm not just blindly promoting Apple. Although I do find OSX to be a better, more secure and more intuitive operating system. And this computer is one I plan to use for many years. So I really don't see the problem with the advice I've given. If you want to offer specific criticism then have at it.
    It was a generalization. Anyway Apple refurbished is a great option for a lot of people who don't need max specs and mostly want a media machine.

19. 22k

22k ベルセルク

don't buy a Mac. ultrabook PCs were, are, and will always be superior.

20. 22k

22k ベルセルク

no need to throw a jab at the dude, you ought to just argue your points to be more effective.

refurbs are the royal ripoff. why buy an Apple refurb when you can get an ultrabook literally 3x better at that exact price?

Bigsquid likes this.