Looking for Top King Shin Guards best deal / size advice!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by RobIntensityMMA, Aug 6, 2016.

1. RobIntensityMMA

RobIntensityMMA White Belt

Hey guys,

Rob here. New around these parts and new to MMA as of the past month or so. Absolutely love the sport, health benefits and challenge! I just joined a gym in San Diego by the name of Intensity MMA. I have already purchased MMA gloves (RDX cowhide, seem very nice!) and I purchased their shin guards in L which were just too small and the quality appeared to be pretty shotty. Returned those the same day, lol. Anyhow, after lots of research on here and on the good ol interwebz, I have arrived at Top King being the way to go. My decision now is where to order and what size to order! Feedback and help would be appreciated! I am 6ft 250lbs and have some big calves so I am leaning toward XL. Here are a couple of my measurements.

Shin 15.5 inches

Instep 8 inches

Calves just over 19 inches (I cycle about 20 miles on the weekends for the past few years)

I have definitely checked the threads on here and it seems like people very rarely go for XLs when they have similar dimensions, and I have heard that Top Kings do run big. When I ordered and subsequently returned the RDX shin guards in L they were too small, but I know things change brand to brand. It was mostly the top strap of the calves being very short, only biting maybe 2 inches on the velcro. I knew that just wouldn't last long.

Any feedback would be appreciated! It seems to be muaythaifactory and muaythaistuff are the two best places to order, so I wanted to check the feedback with the guys on here and go from there. Thanks in advance!

2. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

No sure about your size in particular, bought my top king ones years ago, they are very good. (Do they run big??I'm not sure either)

But I'm just here to say I have used both muaythaifactory and muaythaistuff a couple years back, they are very decent, no problem at all. Another one you can also consider is muaythaifighting.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    RobIntensityMMA likes this.
  3. RobIntensityMMA

Got you! Thank you for the response, hopefully a few other people around my size can chime in!

4. derrynakmuay

derrynakmuay White Belt

Rob, I had a pair of the Rdx shins in large and they were perfect on me. I'm about 5'10" and 180lbs with calves about 16". They're pretty good shinguards although the stitching needed some repairs quite quickly.

I've been using Top King shinguards for the last while and they're far better made and really protective. Mine are the older style which are still the most commonly available, ie not the ones that curve over and around the knee. The Large are a good fit on me but would definitely be too small for you.

They are super durable amd still look like new after a year or so, but they do take a few sessions to break-in. Expect them to rub the skin off the top of your toes at first!

Definitely go for the Xl and let us know what you think about them. By the way, I've used both of those sites and they're both professional and reliable, with delivery to Ireland sometimes taking only 3 days from Bkk.

Good luck with your choice and with your training!

5. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

Rocking the XL... and I stand at 6'3' 215lb

6. RobIntensityMMA

Thank you for the kind words and feedback! I pulled the trigger on a pair of XL Top Kings! I agree with you on the workmanship of the RDX, the gloves I purchased seemed to be fantastic quality but the shin guards seemed very poorly made all other things considered. Thanks again for the time, I will absolutely update my thoughts and feedback on this post!

7. RobIntensityMMA

Got you, I pulled the trigger on a pair of XL as well, with international shipping I would rather have them be slightly bigger than too small or have those straps struggle to reach around my calves and then just getting worn out prematurely. Thanks for the feedback bro, all the best

8. derrynakmuay

derrynakmuay White Belt

No problem Rob.
    Best of luck with the Top Kings; I don't think you'll be disappointed!

9. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

remember holmes, can always take the shinguards to a leatherworker if sizing isnt to your liking

10. RobIntensityMMA

True! I should have them in tomorrow, I will be sure to update on here my feedback and thoughts so others who might be my size will have something to work off of as well.

11. RobIntensityMMA

So everything arrived today, and I must say the quality is very nice! I wear a size 13 shoe, and they cover my entire foot which I know isn't the most desirable, but the fit around the calves and everything else is very good! For someone with my stats, I would highly recommend these guards! I'm sure they will fit like a glove in due time after some breaking in. Off question, there is no designated left/right guard, correct? Does it boil down to preference?

12. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

No, I don't believe so. However I tend to wear them caring left and right, so if they break-in or get molded to your leg in any way, the left one would always be on the left leg, right one always on the right. I identify them by the direction of the first strap facing.

It's no big deal but I'd like to care, maybe it reduces 0.01% or higher chance of it slipping to the side, you never know. ;)

Which color did you get?

13. derrynakmuay

derrynakmuay White Belt

Yeah, eventually they'll slightly mould to the shape of your feet and will feel better a particular way around.
    Personally, I prefer to keep the ends of the velcro straps to the outside.

14. GHVA226

GHVA226 Green Belt

If you want a real good deal on some nice shin guards,get these:

15. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

wiping these badboys down occasionally with a leather cleaner makes the world of a difference

16. RobIntensityMMA

I just got the "Pro" in simple black! I know its pretty run of the mill, but I like them a lot! Just got in a good first sparring session yesterday and they felt great, much better than the gym set I was borrowing, and they didn't slide around at all. Highly recommended!

17. RobIntensityMMA

Yup, that is pretty much how I decided to dedicate the L/R guards. Thanks for the feedback!

derrynakmuay likes this.
  18. RobIntensityMMA

It was really a toss up on which ones I went with, and it really seemed like Top King was always recommended pretty highly around here! However, depending on how long these will last I will always keep an eye out for some deals. Now its more or less about finding a good set of boxing/sparring gloves to have in addition to my MMA gloves. Definitely leaning toward ordering from MuayThaiStuff again, shipping was reasonable.

19. RobIntensityMMA

Will do! About how often do you do that? After every gym session, I usually let my MMA gloves and now shin guards sit in front of a fan for an hour or so, trying to keep them as dry as can be.

20. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

Try and wipe down with a watered-cloth after each session.

Tackling with the leather-cleaner bi-monthly will keep your babies in prime condition