Looking For The Right Gi

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by LS1Rx7, Dec 21, 2012.

1. LS1Rx7

LS1Rx7 Blue Belt

stats

5'10 180-190 muscular build

I've got 2 Gi's and neither fit right. One is an A4 Keiko Raca I got back when I was fat. The arms are the only thing the right length. The jacket is both huge and rediculously long. The pants are baggy and too long.

Then I got a gameness A3 next and it fit like a well tailored suit at first but kept and kept and kept shrinking and now its ridiculous. I have a longer waist, longer arms and shorter legs relatively speaking
    The A3 Air is too small in every dimension. I've got about 2 inches of wrist showing now when I wear that gi before reaching for something, pants are the same way and the jacket ends only a few inches below the belt. I do like short lapels but they keep coming untucked from my belt.

Note I like to wash and dry my Gi's so starting off a bit big would be best or getting one that is pre shrunk.

I like light and soft/comfortable Gi's. No need for the super thick lapels ect.

Thanks for any help

2. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

here is your answer for the gameness air. the gameness air size A3 is equivalent to an A2. they put it on every sizing chart out there for the gameness air. i am taller than you, and weigh more than you and i wear an A3 in a gameness pearl, but in a gameness air i wear an A4, the reason being is that the gameness air will shrink way more than the pearl. pearl fits perfectly, so much so that i bought two. tbh, if you want a good gi, you can find A3 gameness pearls in the last years models for under a hundred bucks at some places.

also, check out tatami. my tatami estilo 3.0 showed up today and it is very nice. you could get a tatami nova and pay less than a hundred dollars on it and have a pretty high end styled gi for not a lot of cash.

3. Bojovnik Slav

Bojovnik Slav Green Belt

I really like my Gameness Platinum. I'm 6'3.5'' and 230 and the A4 fits me perfectly.

4. TheSubmissionCh

TheSubmissionCh Green Belt

Shoyoroll; it's every answer to every question. - E

5. LS1Rx7

LS1Rx7 Blue Belt

Does the pearl shrink like the Air when you dry it?

People warned me about the Air shrinking and it shrunk even more than I expected.

I might jsut get an A4 Air, but I thought the pearl was a higher end Gi, and it looks like its the same price

6. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

my pearl only shrank as much as i made it shrink. after that it has only become more perfect. i prefer to have a more athletic fit to it so that i don't have a ton of real estate for people to grab on to. only reason why i even consider buying different gis other than the gameness pearl is that i wanted one that had a little more flair on it and a color that gameness did not provide, otherwise i would stick with a solid thing.

it looks like most places are out of stock of the a3 in the older pearls, but you could get the latest version which is supposed to be even better than the older one.

my only complaint is that my gameness pearls aren't very soft, but i am sure i could use some fabric softener and it would be good to go.

7. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Have you considered P&S?