Looking For Some Feedback On Some Bag Work

not bad at all. pivot and extend on your cross more. I see big power in your punches dude, plus your size, bring the body bags when you drop bombs.

not bad at all. pivot and extend on your cross more. I see big power in your punches dude, plus your size, bring the body bags when you drop bombs.

Thanks, and will keep that in mind. As the other person mentioned on page 2, that may also be why I'm pushing my head too far forward (trying to make up for lack of rotation). And rotation is definitely a concern of mine, as I'm trying to be the fastest, most powerful heavyweight there is (as is every HW, lol). I know my combinations are repetitive in all the videos I've posted, and it's mostly because I'm trying to really get down how to truly throw the straight and hook powerfully right after throwing other punches, and not just as single punches in and of themselves.

I just want to get my head movement and footwork down good enough to where I can just get inside and swarm. I don't mind eating a few punches here and there because I genuinely like just opening up with shovel hooks and uppercuts. I'm just not sure if I have the natural power or speed to actually get anywhere with boxing, even with training.

It's so much harder when you know the cameras watching, right?

You wanna throw every shot as hard as possible and end up gassing quick.

A lot of snap on your shots bro. Stiff jab. I'm not much of an expert on form or footwork. All fighters are different.

Move around more. In and out. Around the bag. Pretend it's square with 4 sides. Throw a 3-4 shot combo on each side and keep moving. Breath deep when you move. Don't hold your breath when you throw.

And throw more jabs. Double up the jab constantly. I know you're working on power here but you should still throw as many jabs as possible so it becomes a habit.

We are around the same size. You're a lot younger
I'd love to spar with you

Definitely have troubling moving around the bag. I've been working on doubling up my jab and feinting, and can do those alright when I remember to, but definitely struggle changing levels (at least with straight punches [hooks are way easier to change levels for me, as it can be done just by using a different angle, and not having to squat down]), and remembering to move my head (easy to feel invincible when no one is hitting back, especially when I'm 300 pounds).

I'm 28, for what it matters, so kinda up there (arthritis and all, lol). While it's a long-shot, I really want to see if I can go somewhere with boxing, and I'm hoping that if I drop to around 205 or so, I can have a good combination of power, cardio, and speed.

The root of your problems is your feet. The upper body looks really good at least in the context of being off on your own, but your feet are not good.

Basic cues:
  • Back foot: Heel should be raised off the ground and weight on the ball of the foot
  • Front foot: Weight on the ball of the foot, it's ok if your foot is flat on the ground but keep weight on the ball
  • Keep the weight distributed 50/50 for each foot at all times (eg. don't fall forward on your backhand)
  • There should be ~2inch gap between both feet (eg. you could put a broomstick on the ground and it would pass between your feet when in boxing stance). I notice your back foot falls back behind your front a lot
  • Feet angled at about 1 oclock (backfoot can be a bit more angled, to maybe 2 oclock, this part is personal preference)

The technical part is lacking but the core issue is the strength in your lower legs. I'm a heavy guy so I've been there. There's plenty of footwork drills that can help with that, but in my personal experience, nothing beats moderate cardio that really burns up your lower legs. Make sure the pain is not bone splints, calves can get inflamed pretty quick but as long as it's muscles, the pain is good news, means it's working.

Thanks, and will keep that in mind. As the other person mentioned on page 2, that may also be why I'm pushing my head too far forward (trying to make up for lack of rotation). And rotation is definitely a concern of mine, as I'm trying to be the fastest, most powerful heavyweight there is (as is every HW, lol). I know my combinations are repetitive in all the videos I've posted, and it's mostly because I'm trying to really get down how to truly throw the straight and hook powerfully right after throwing other punches, and not just as single punches in and of themselves.

I just want to get my head movement and footwork down good enough to where I can just get inside and swarm. I don't mind eating a few punches here and there because I genuinely like just opening up with shovel hooks and uppercuts. I'm just not sure if I have the natural power or speed to actually get anywhere with boxing, even with training.

Definitely have troubling moving around the bag. I've been working on doubling up my jab and feinting, and can do those alright when I remember to, but definitely struggle changing levels (at least with straight punches [hooks are way easier to change levels for me, as it can be done just by using a different angle, and not having to squat down]), and remembering to move my head (easy to feel invincible when no one is hitting back, especially when I'm 300 pounds).

I'm 28, for what it matters, so kinda up there (arthritis and all, lol). While it's a long-shot, I really want to see if I can go somewhere with boxing, and I'm hoping that if I drop to around 205 or so, I can have a good combination of power, cardio, and speed.

without watching or going into depth on anything other than taking your word for it, yest that is a common reason why people lean in with their head or whole body, rather then rotating.

your big enough that no one is gonna mess with you outside of the ring for the most part.

As far as boxing competitively goes, you wont know how youll do until you try. dont limit yourself. The natural speed and power to be the next tyson fury? I dont know. Capable of having a few amatuer fights, sure.

The root of your problems is your feet. The upper body looks really good at least in the context of being off on your own, but your feet are not good.

Basic cues:
  • Back foot: Heel should be raised off the ground and weight on the ball of the foot
  • Front foot: Weight on the ball of the foot, it's ok if your foot is flat on the ground but keep weight on the ball
  • Keep the weight distributed 50/50 for each foot at all times (eg. don't fall forward on your backhand)
  • There should be ~2inch gap between both feet (eg. you could put a broomstick on the ground and it would pass between your feet when in boxing stance). I notice your back foot falls back behind your front a lot
  • Feet angled at about 1 oclock (backfoot can be a bit more angled, to maybe 2 oclock, this part is personal preference)

The technical part is lacking but the core issue is the strength in your lower legs. I'm a heavy guy so I've been there. There's plenty of footwork drills that can help with that, but in my personal experience, nothing beats moderate cardio that really burns up your lower legs. Make sure the pain is not bone splints, calves can get inflamed pretty quick but as long as it's muscles, the pain is good news, means it's working.
Unfortunately, gotta be careful with lower body work. Arthritic knees since I was 18. But you're supposed to be on your toes on your back foot? That just seems to tire out my calves without giving me more speed or power.

without watching or going into depth on anything other than taking your word for it, yest that is a common reason why people lean in with their head or whole body, rather then rotating.

your big enough that no one is gonna mess with you outside of the ring for the most part.

As far as boxing competitively goes, you wont know how youll do until you try. dont limit yourself. The natural speed and power to be the next tyson fury? I dont know. Capable of having a few amatuer fights, sure.
That's true that I won't know until I try. I just worry that I can never do anything with it, so it'll just be a waste of time and money. I just don't know if I could see myself ever being truly as fast and powerful as good boxers.

That's true that I won't know until I try. I just worry that I can never do anything with it, so it'll just be a waste of time and money. I just don't know if I could see myself ever being truly as fast and powerful as good boxers.

by never do anything with it, if you mean be the next tyson fury or what not, then no, you wont do anything with it and youll be like the 99% of the rest of the people that never do anything with it.

Think of it like this, you join an adult basketball league to play basketball, not be the next kobe.

can you be good at basketball and play a few local basketball games or tournaments to get to see what its like to play a real game, yes. Is that a waste of time and money? I dont know.

now if you dont think your good enough to compete at the local amatuer level, thats another thing. You very will might not be currently, but that can change with the right training and coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back