Looking For Some Feedback On Some Bag Work

When I throw genuine straights, I don't think my head comes forward, and I still can get okay rotation.
You threw a 1-2 in the first 3 seconds of the video. The red line is where your head is, the blue line is where it should be.

CXV1liC.png

You threw a 1-2 in the first 3 seconds of the video. The red line is where your head is, the blue line is where it should be.

CXV1liC.png
So, is my weight supposed to be all the way on my back foot on the straight? When I'm back like that, I feel way off balance.

So, is my weight supposed to be all the way on my back foot on the straight? When I'm back like that, I feel way off balance.
Not all the way back, no (at least not on the cross), but far enough so that your head isn't literally over your lead foot. I've added a back-foot line in green to help you visualize:

Mjb0sOa.png

Thanks for the advice, @StopDucking !

I did post some other stuff elsewhere yesterday, but that was before I read your post. Anyway, I tried to implement more head movement and a few feints, and no overhands, but I dunno, I just don't feel like I have a good flow. I can't even tell if these clips are better, or far worse, lol.

why dont you use the uppercut bag instead? I wouldn't recommend learning everything from videos but did you check anything on youtube? even instructional would get you familiar with the fundamentals, I mean if you're short on money you can just torrent these

check this guy's channel out:

Last edited:
why dont you use the uppercut bag instead? I wouldn't recommend learning everything from videos but did you check anything on youtube? even instructional would get you familiar with the fundamentals, I mean if you're short on money you can just torrent these

check this guy's channel out:

It's hung pretty low for headshots, and swings *way* too much. Just can't seem to flow at all on it.

It's hung pretty low for headshots, and swings *way* too much. Just can't seem to flow at all on it.
You are swinging too hard
Gotta work with the bag
Every punch shouldnt be max effort
Hows your speed bag work?
Its more nuanced
Honestly this typeof advice id not helpful when you aren't getting real coaching. Its just gonna make you a head case thinking about every punch,
But honestly it all comes down to hip fold
And sitting your weight down and shooting it forward

Once again though thats less important than moving

You are swinging too hard
Gotta work with the bag
Every punch shouldnt be max effort
Hows your speed bag work?

Its more nuanced
Honestly this typeof advice id not helpful when you aren't getting real coaching. Its just gonna make you a head case thinking about every punch,
But honestly it all comes down to hip fold
And sitting your weight down and shooting it forward

Once again though thats less important than moving
Oh, even light punches on that bag send it flying. Don't have a speed bag (it's a regular gym), but never really understood the point of them.

Oh, even light punches on that bag send it flying. Don't have a speed bag (it's a regular gym), but never really understood the point of them.
Maybe its the bag
Do yall have the water bags?

Speed bag is a core piece of boxing training. Your position should be trying to understand them not have them prove themselves to you

Dude did you even watch the videos I posted?

I think the reason you don't have a good flow is you aren't always sure why you're throwing and doing what you're doing. After all, you are just hitting a bag that swings a bit. You need to visualise and understand all movements you are doing and why, I think you've got to that stage now. Drilling in front of a mirror is a great way to go.

It's the same with shadow boxing, rather than 'looking the part' like a lot of people do, truly understand why you are doing each movement and sequence. Give your mind plenty of time for contemplation on these matters

When starting training from long abstention first go ultra-slow speed to keep the technique clean then speed up to almost normal speed, train individual strikes like this, then 1-2 combos, then strikes and combos with lateral movement, then combos with slips and dips and then combine everything, you need some progression with your strikes, if you involve kicks with your training you have double the amount of combos to work with and you should work with different combos in every session, just write everything you do in a progression log, training like this may take 1:30 hours or more so it depends if you're training striking or just training in a regular gym, I mean how much time do you have available? How much money do you have for nutrition and supplements? How much time for recovery? 1:30 hours is a lot for me, if you combine this with at least 45 min weight training session(normally it should also be 1:30 hours unless you have a private gym available) , 3 hours without sparring every day, if you include sparring you're looking for 4 hours a day. Pros spend more time but they got the money to do it, some rich folks can also do this lifestyle but it's not for everyone, folks going on trips for training is hilarious, if you didn't get to be a pro til now chances are you don't have the talent for it. MA gyms charge by the hour don't expect to get good anytime soon with 4-5 hours a week!

Last edited:

Trying to get into a gym nearby in Tampa, but just waiting until my financial situation is a bit better. Currently 5'11", 305lbs., and planning on dropping to 205 at the very least. Just want to get some opinions in the mean time on some short heavybag work. Really trying to work on the power of my jabs and my overhand left form, and just speed overall. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: And right off the bat, some things that I personally notice are that there are a few jabs where I also jutted my right hand forward (trying to get used to using slightly lowered hands, when I've been using the peek-a-boo guard), I'm aiming most of my punches too low, and I need more head movement. Also need another bag, cause I hate this one, lol.

It's so much harder when you know the cameras watching, right?

You wanna throw every shot as hard as possible and end up gassing quick.

A lot of snap on your shots bro. Stiff jab. I'm not much of an expert on form or footwork. All fighters are different.

Move around more. In and out. Around the bag. Pretend it's square with 4 sides. Throw a 3-4 shot combo on each side and keep moving. Breath deep when you move. Don't hold your breath when you throw.

And throw more jabs. Double up the jab constantly. I know you're working on power here but you should still throw as many jabs as possible so it becomes a habit.

We are around the same size. You're a lot younger
I'd love to spar with you

Last edited:

Trying to get into a gym nearby in Tampa, but just waiting until my financial situation is a bit better. Currently 5'11", 305lbs., and planning on dropping to 205 at the very least. Just want to get some opinions in the mean time on some short heavybag work. Really trying to work on the power of my jabs and my overhand left form, and just speed overall. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: And right off the bat, some things that I personally notice are that there are a few jabs where I also jutted my right hand forward (trying to get used to using slightly lowered hands, when I've been using the peek-a-boo guard), I'm aiming most of my punches too low, and I need more head movement. Also need another bag, cause I hate this one, lol.

Sit down on your left cross. Spike those feet, don't float around.

And don't listen to Spacetime who has been banned 40 times on different alts. .

I know a thing or too.. . He rotates his hip but doesn't plant his feet. Watch his first left cross. That's amatuer errors.

Pretty decent overall though

I know a thing or too.. . He rotates his hip but doesn't plant his feet. Watch his first left cross. That's amatuer errors.

Pretty decent overall though
Amazing, considering you got beaten up the first time you went to a real gym and never went back I highly doubt you know a thing or to. See you on the next alt Spacetime.

Amazing, considering you got beaten up the first time you went to a real gym and never went back I highly doubt you know a thing or to. See you on the next alt Spacetime.

Sherdog myth. I kicked ass. I got into a an argument with the trainer though

Back