Looking For Some Feedback On Some Bag Work

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Trying to get into a gym nearby in Tampa, but just waiting until my financial situation is a bit better. Currently 5'11", 305lbs., and planning on dropping to 205 at the very least. Just want to get some opinions in the mean time on some short heavybag work. Really trying to work on the power of my jabs and my overhand left form, and just speed overall. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: And right off the bat, some things that I personally notice are that there are a few jabs where I also jutted my right hand forward (trying to get used to using slightly lowered hands, when I've been using the peek-a-boo guard), I'm aiming most of my punches too low, and I need more head movement. Also need another bag, cause I hate this one, lol.

Last edited:
Aside from form, if body reshaping in the plan I advise using round breaks to do push-ups, sit ups, and the like. I treaded water for a few years even doing solid boxing rounds and then resting for a minute. No. Push yourself.

Moreover, find a sparring partner. You dont need a ring. It doesn't have to be hard sparring. Spar and then race each other on 20 push-ups. That makes it happen IMHO.

Aside from form, if body reshaping in the plan I advise using round breaks to do push-ups, sit ups, and the like. I treaded water for a few years even doing solid boxing rounds and then resting for a minute. No. Push yourself.

Moreover, find a sparring partner. You dont need a ring. It doesn't have to be hard sparring. Spar and then race each other on 20 push-ups. That makes it happen IMHO.

Honestly, not really a bodyweight exercise kinda guy. I like to lift a couple days a week. Used to lift 4 days per week when I was into powerlifting, but that'd be hell on my shoulders (in an injury way, not a soreness way) due to all the bag work to go along with the lifting.

Trying to find a decent routine to get on, where I can progressively overload, but still have relatively low volume so I can focus on boxing (high leg volume is fine).

Really just thought about doing an upper/lower routine and swapping deadlifts out, and maybe find a different squat variation than traditional squats (tracking on my patella is messed-up from injuries, and both high-bar and low-bar squats suck on my knees [and my wrists]). Possibly an upper/lower routine based on overhead press for upper (with some chest accessory work), and cross-arm front squats for lower? I dunno. Wish I could do 5/3/1 or something, and really push myself, without neglecting my bagwork.

Honestly, not really a bodyweight exercise kinda guy. I like to lift a couple days a week. Used to lift 4 days per week when I was into powerlifting, but that'd be hell on my shoulders (in an injury way, not a soreness way) due to all the bag work to go along with the lifting.

Trying to find a decent routine to get on, where I can progressively overload, but still have relatively low volume so I can focus on boxing (high leg volume is fine).

Really just thought about doing an upper/lower routine and swapping deadlifts out, and maybe find a different squat variation than traditional squats (tracking on my patella is messed-up from injuries, and both high-bar and low-bar squats suck on my knees [and my wrists]). Possibly an upper/lower routine based on overhead press for upper (with some chest accessory work), and cross-arm front squats for lower? I dunno. Wish I could do 5/3/1 or something, and really push myself, without neglecting my bagwork.
Don't sell yourself short - there's no reason I can think of why you can't do something like 5/3/1 along with your bagwork. 5/3/1 works with submaximal weights so should be fine to do along with other activities - I manage just fine.

Don't sell yourself short - there's no reason I can think of why you can't do something like 5/3/1 along with your bagwork. 5/3/1 works with submaximal weights so should be fine to do along with other activities - I manage just fine.
Well, I think my problem with 531 is that I do OHP instead of bench. Barbell bench just destroys my shoulders (in an injury type of way), so I stick with dumbbell bench as an accessory. All that shoulder work might interfere with boxing.

you look where you should be for a guy who is becoming knowledgeable about boxing but hasnt actually boxed yet.
you have an understanding of how punching mechanics.. which is obvious in that you can throw a punch that garners attention even from lay people. you have knowledge of footwork and application, moving around the bag moving after punches trying to imagine taking angles.

that is a double edged sword though. i have seen dudes on here (spacetime a prime offender) and others in real life. who spent possibly years self training and then buck the system when the go in a gym a think they should skip the system and dont have anything to learn from starting from the beginning.

you wanna see a real example of your skill not just a i throw a punch and then put it under a microscope. Try and film a proper 3 min round or 3 of them and look what happens over that entire period not just a highlight or 1 min clip.

putting a microscope on a move or just focusing on throwing full power on the bad for an entire workout, That is an almost useless point. because fights are not static and shit happens especially when under pressure. Emotions can flare when you get tagged when you got a guy competing with you or when you're getting pieced up. Technique can go out the window and what you are depending on is just what ingrained in you (thats not what you have consciously learned that is what you have acquired through right practice and repititon under wacthful eyes and training partners)

spend time working on the other facets of boxing
work on hitting bag with varying levels of punching power and really playing with it. spend rounds just working on footwork and distance mangement becasue that is really the fundamentals of fighting.

as long as you stay dedicated the weight will come off if you pair it with a decent diet. but you already look visibly better than your vids from months ago.

stop short changing yourself an get in a gym. if you got love for the game.. go play it

Trying to get into a gym nearby in Tampa, but just waiting until my financial situation is a bit better. Currently 5'11", 305lbs., and planning on dropping to 205 at the very least. Just want to get some opinions in the mean time on some short heavybag work. Really trying to work on the power of my jabs and my overhand left form, and just speed overall. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: And right off the bat, some things that I personally notice are that there are a few jabs where I also jutted my right hand forward (trying to get used to using slightly lowered hands, when I've been using the peek-a-boo guard), I'm aiming most of my punches too low, and I need more head movement. Also need another bag, cause I hate this one, lol.

I said it before and I must say it again - don't be fixed too much on a heavy bag. Your form is not bad, but you are leaning in some punches, and that habit (and other bas ones) would be very hard to iron once you'll get a proper coach.
One can train but himself (after certain lvl of experience and access to video recorder) no probs, but 100% not on a beginner stage.
As for speed training, resistance bands are much more profitable for developing additional explosiveness in punches.

you look where you should be for a guy who is becoming knowledgeable about boxing but hasnt actually boxed yet.
you have an understanding of how punching mechanics.. which is obvious in that you can throw a punch that garners attention even from lay people. you have knowledge of footwork and application, moving around the bag moving after punches trying to imagine taking angles.

that is a double edged sword though. i have seen dudes on here (spacetime a prime offender) and others in real life. who spent possibly years self training and then buck the system when the go in a gym a think they should skip the system and dont have anything to learn from starting from the beginning.

you wanna see a real example of your skill not just a i throw a punch and then put it under a microscope. Try and film a proper 3 min round or 3 of them and look what happens over that entire period not just a highlight or 1 min clip.

putting a microscope on a move or just focusing on throwing full power on the bad for an entire workout, That is an almost useless point. because fights are not static and shit happens especially when under pressure. Emotions can flare when you get tagged when you got a guy competing with you or when you're getting pieced up. Technique can go out the window and what you are depending on is just what ingrained in you (thats not what you have consciously learned that is what you have acquired through right practice and repititon under wacthful eyes and training partners)

spend time working on the other facets of boxing
work on hitting bag with varying levels of punching power and really playing with it. spend rounds just working on footwork and distance mangement becasue that is really the fundamentals of fighting.

as long as you stay dedicated the weight will come off if you pair it with a decent diet. but you already look visibly better than your vids from months ago.

stop short changing yourself an get in a gym. if you got love for the game.. go play it
Oh, definitely need to get into a gym. I have one in mind (Tampa City Boxing in, well, Tampa), but it's kinda costly for any classes (nevermind personal training). But I'd imagine that even just going there to hit the bags during open gym would be better than nothing. Just can't justify $100/month for a gym with limited hours.

Oh, definitely need to get into a gym. I have one in mind (Tampa City Boxing in, well, Tampa), but it's kinda costly for any classes (nevermind personal training). But I'd imagine that even just going there to hit the bags during open gym would be better than nothing. Just can't justify $100/month for a gym with limited hours.
bruh you love the game but 100$ a month aint worth it??
how we supposed to keep the game alive if 100 is too expensive

bruh you love the game but 100$ a month aint worth it??
how we supposed to keep the game alive if 100 is too expensive
I'm broke, dude. That's like half a car payment.

Last edited:
I think you can get a lot from decent shadow boxing, cardio like rope skipping e.t.c. and the punch bag but you have to have the basic training in order to avoid building bad habits, sparring helps with overcoming your hesitation, coordinating your movement plus decision making e.t.c. , actual fights are the ones that build your skills, you can either spar for 1000 hours or have a 20 min fight you'll probably get the same amount of skill-building but just training on your own won't help you give 100% in an actual fight, you need to progressively spar with opponents near your skill level but that's if you're planning on entering tournaments, if you're just doing it for fun any form of training will do

shit I find it 150% easier to spar or fight if I'm 6 months into a strength n conditioning program, would the first 6 months of your training be better spent training a sport or specifically weight lifting and cardio for that sport? do you realise how much of an advantage you'd have over an unconditioned guy near your skill level? the first 6 months of training any sport are actually conditioning the muscles so they can make the required movements anyway

how many times do hobbyists take on fighting sports and spend the first 2 years klutzing around trying to coordinate their movements because of muscle imbalances due to never actually specifically training their atrophied muscles?

that's if you don't take PEDs, PEDs can turn your sparring session to a 7-day heavy weight lifting

Last edited:
Oh, definitely don't see conditioning being a problem in the long-run. I'm fat now, of course, but with tons of bag work, a genuine Tabata protocol, and other physical activity (swimming, rollerblading), I'm hoping it'll get me in at least decent shape.

#1 thing is getting in a gym, though. Just not sure I can afford the $100/month, and not sure if $40/month just for the open gym and no classes would get me anywhere (since there's no instruction, just like now).

meh, I’ve seen worse.

Some observations:

You don’t need to be so sharp and explosive or so heavy for every shot. It’s too monotonous and tiring. Inefficient, too.
Try flowing more, taking a lil something off it. Upstairs downstairs.

Throw more combinations and sequences. More setups. Not just same ol' same ol' you’re doing.

Stop throwing those repeated full power single shots. They do nothing for you.

You hang your head too far forward on your cross. I'll blame shitty rotation due to belly bulk but you should watch that.

You should play more defence and balance. Picking imaginary shots, rolling and dipping and moving or attacking off it.

Don’t throw a left hook (rear). It’s horrible and bad form. You’ll never land it. Throw it straight down the pike.

Are you a right handed guy masquerading as a southpaw, by any chance ?

meh, I’ve seen worse.

Some observations:

You don’t need to be so sharp and explosive or so heavy for every shot. It’s too monotonous and tiring. Inefficient, too.
Try flowing more, taking a lil something off it. Upstairs downstairs.

Throw more combinations and sequences. More setups. Not just same ol' same ol' you’re doing.

Stop throwing those repeated full power single shots. They do nothing for you.

You hang your head too far forward on your cross. I'll blame shitty rotation due to belly bulk but you should watch that.

You should play more defence and balance. Picking imaginary shots, rolling and dipping and moving or attacking off it.

Don’t throw a left hook (rear). It’s horrible and bad form. You’ll never land it. Throw it straight down the pike.

Are you a right handed guy masquerading as a southpaw, by any chance ?
Appreciate the feedback, thanks! I'm a natural southpaw, why?

Anyways, I definitely have a hard time doing my hooks in combinations on the bag. Can never quite figure out how to shorten my cross enough to throw a follow-up hook without moving my head forward (though, a lot of those were actually attempts at overhands, not crosses). And I like practicing my rear hook because I'd like to square up inside. Not sure if it's bad practice with that in mind.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks! I'm a natural southpaw, why?

Anyways, I definitely have a hard time doing my hooks in combinations on the bag. Can never quite figure out how to shorten my cross enough to throw a follow-up hook without moving my head forward (though, a lot of those were actually attempts at overhands, not crosses). And I like practicing my rear hook because I'd like to square up inside. Not sure if it's bad practice with that in mind.

I said that because your lead hand much better than rear. Your rear Gand doesn’t look very natural. Maybe it’s the bulky midsection fking up the rotation ?
I dunno. Never really seen 300 pounders go at it. Well, seen a few but never paid any attention.

You don’t need to shorten up your left to throw a hook. I mean you can but you shouldn’t need to. It’s all in the rotation / weight transfer. Another thing probably fkn it up is most likely because you handgrip your chin too far forward on the cross.
Try sitting back a bit on the left.

That rear hook you’re throwing, not to get too much into right now but that’s a bag punch. Meaning it’s working on the bag because the bag dont move or hit back or even react.
You’d never really land it in sparring or in the ring. The rear hook has a place but not like that or even when it is you say you’re throwing it. You’re not even inside like you think you are. You’re more mid - close range. Still too far out.

You’d best be served keeping that rear straight. Especially as a southpaw. A southpaw's left is best kept straight. When it land on the regular you can think of crossing it or going around his rear glove but that’s with a drop step and kept long.
And that’s another thing. It’s a straight not a cross. Cross is generally for guys in similar stances. You cross his jab. You can try crossing a right but it’s a great way to get popped in the mouth. Best to shift left and throw a straight down the pike.

Southpaws straight.
Another reason why ? Your rear hand …..which is furthest away from me…..is trying to get over and land on my far side angled away from you. That punch has to cover the most distance and gives me more time go see it. That’s why a straight (shortest distance between two points) has the best chance of landing.
Compare that to similar stances where your rear hand ….furthest away from me…is however aiming at the point / angle of my body closest to you. So less distance.
That’s why you’ll usually see the top southpaws usually have beautiful straights lefts and not so much looping as more orthodox fighters do and that’s another reason why orthodox fighters have a harder time landing their right on a southpaw, if it not a well schooled straight hand.

I dunno if that was very clear.

And another thing, you shouldn’t be squaring up on the inside like you just said you like to do.
A) because that’s not what you do on the inside. That’s a great way to get ripped up and

B) opposite stances should generally avoid inside fighting unless you really know wtf you’re doing and that includes pros.
Why ? Because you’re both naturally open to each other and it’s a crap shoot as to who’ll catch an uppercut or shot to the chin or sternum.
Especially as a heavyweight.

Hit them going in then tie up. Hit them on tie up with your free hand if you want but keep your chin on his traps (yup, that far back) hips glued to his.

You have impressive hand speed for your size.

I would work on putting together more combos and incorporating head movement, slips, rolls, punching off slips, etc...

I love heavy bag work. It's great for cardio and power. But you have to stay defensive minded too or you'll pick up bad habits.

I said it before and I must say it again - don't be fixed too much on a heavy bag. Your form is not bad, but you are leaning in some punches, and that habit (and other bas ones) would be very hard to iron once you'll get a proper coach.
One can train but himself (after certain lvl of experience and access to video recorder) no probs, but 100% not on a beginner stage.
As for speed training, resistance bands are much more profitable for developing additional explosiveness in punches.

Totally agree with our USSR spy Dexter.

I've probably said it before but when it comes to boxing, no training is better than bad training. It's not like you're one of the few who manage to avoid the common mistakes beginners made: you're actually making all of them and every training session you have only reinforce those mistakes because you don't have a coach to correct you right away.

This is counterproductive because if you ever join a gym, you're going to spend a significant amount of time unlearning bad habits when you should put all your focus on learning good ones. My advice is to work exclusively on your strength and conditionning and stop hitting the bag for the time being but I can already tell you're not going to do that.

Also, $100 a month for a boxing gym with qualified instructors is not expensive. Anything less than that and I'd be tempted to question the gym's legitimacy.

You’ve got some talent man. Your punches are crisp and you do a good job of shifting your considerable body weight into your shots. That takes solid skill, hips, feet.

Some minor critiques:

A) You pull your left away from you face when you throw the right hook and when your throwing the left. And you don’t move your head.

All the above makes you a potential threat to be knocked out when you fight someone who’s your size or who can actually box/scrap.

B) you don’t double up on your jab and/or use feints. Again. Your a big man. So your current skill base might be enough to see you past 90% of dudes. But a man who’s around your size or even smaller, who’s fit and knows how to fucking box will pick those tendencies out in no time.

Again: work on feinting and doubling up the jab. You’ve got good hands and feet. Use them.

Another issue I have is: if you’re going to train hands (boxing) do so on a boxing specific bag

Those kickboxing bags don’t provide the kind of feedback that you need. You actually want the bag to swing so you can body it up and hit it going and coming. It helps build muscle and timing.

Those long ass kickboxing bags don’t move. They’re basically stationary. That’s not conducive to fighting.

You’re not going to build the type of timing and strength that you want on those bags. It’s just plain Physics.

You’ve got some talent man. Your punches are crisp and you do a good job of shifting your considerable body weight into your shots. That takes solid skill, hips, feet.

Some minor critiques:

A) You pull your left away from you face when you throw the right hook and when your throwing the left. And you don’t move your head.

All the above makes you a potential threat to be knocked out when you fight someone who’s your size or who can actually box/scrap.

B) you don’t double up on your jab and/or use feints. Again. Your a big man. So your current skill base might be enough to see you past 90% of dudes. But a man who’s around your size or even smaller, who’s fit and knows how to fucking box will pick those tendencies out in no time.

Again: work on feinting and doubling up the jab. You’ve got good hands and feet. Use them.

Another issue I have is: if you’re going to train hands (boxing) do so on a boxing specific bag

Those kickboxing bags don’t provide the kind of feedback that you need. You actually want the bag to swing so you can body it up and hit it going and coming. It helps build muscle and timing.

Those long ass kickboxing bags don’t move. They’re basically stationary. That’s not conducive to fighting.

You’re not going to build the type of timing and strength that you want on those bags. It’s just plain Physics.
Thanks for the feedback, dude. Definitely wish my current (non-boxing) gym had a better bag, but it's all I have right now outside of the uppercut bag next to it (which I hate). Will definitely try to work on more head movement and defense.

I said that because your lead hand much better than rear. Your rear Gand doesn’t look very natural. Maybe it’s the bulky midsection fking up the rotation ?
I dunno. Never really seen 300 pounders go at it. Well, seen a few but never paid any attention.

You don’t need to shorten up your left to throw a hook. I mean you can but you shouldn’t need to. It’s all in the rotation / weight transfer. Another thing probably fkn it up is most likely because you handgrip your chin too far forward on the cross.
Try sitting back a bit on the left.

That rear hook you’re throwing, not to get too much into right now but that’s a bag punch. Meaning it’s working on the bag because the bag dont move or hit back or even react.
You’d never really land it in sparring or in the ring. The rear hook has a place but not like that or even when it is you say you’re throwing it. You’re not even inside like you think you are. You’re more mid - close range. Still too far out.

You’d best be served keeping that rear straight. Especially as a southpaw. A southpaw's left is best kept straight. When it land on the regular you can think of crossing it or going around his rear glove but that’s with a drop step and kept long.
And that’s another thing. It’s a straight not a cross. Cross is generally for guys in similar stances. You cross his jab. You can try crossing a right but it’s a great way to get popped in the mouth. Best to shift left and throw a straight down the pike.

Southpaws straight.
Another reason why ? Your rear hand …..which is furthest away from me…..is trying to get over and land on my far side angled away from you. That punch has to cover the most distance and gives me more time go see it. That’s why a straight (shortest distance between two points) has the best chance of landing.
Compare that to similar stances where your rear hand ….furthest away from me…is however aiming at the point / angle of my body closest to you. So less distance.
That’s why you’ll usually see the top southpaws usually have beautiful straights lefts and not so much looping as more orthodox fighters do and that’s another reason why orthodox fighters have a harder time landing their right on a southpaw, if it not a well schooled straight hand.

I dunno if that was very clear.

And another thing, you shouldn’t be squaring up on the inside like you just said you like to do.
A) because that’s not what you do on the inside. That’s a great way to get ripped up and

B) opposite stances should generally avoid inside fighting unless you really know wtf you’re doing and that includes pros.
Why ? Because you’re both naturally open to each other and it’s a crap shoot as to who’ll catch an uppercut or shot to the chin or sternum.
Especially as a heavyweight.

Hit them going in then tie up. Hit them on tie up with your free hand if you want but keep your chin on his traps (yup, that far back) hips glued to his.
My large gut is probably a big part of it. Though, perhaps I'll try to get in so round where I throw more straights rather than overhands. When I throw genuine straights, I don't think my head comes forward, and I still can get okay rotation. Will also try to be more defensive in general, I just have a hard time treating a bag like it's another person. Which is one reason why I definitely need to get into a gym so I can spar. Just hope it's not all focus pads. No one knows how to hold them for southpaws, lol.

Back