Looking for new blank kimono/gi

FlawlessTechnix

White Belt
Reaction score
Wuddup fellas,

Im a long time lurker, but a 1st time poster. A little background on myself, Ive been training in the submission arts for about 10 years now, on & off. My 1st gi was a blue/white reversible judo gi. I dont remember the brand, but i remember it was $60 and came with 2 pairs of pants. At this time, there was MAYBE a handful of jiu jitsu gis on the market, but all of them were pretty expensive. So, basically, 2 gis for $60, I thought was a pretty sweet deal. I used this gi for about 5 years or so and it held up nicely. I dont think Ive ever ripped it once, granted, training was off and on. Then I fell off from gi training & concentrated on no-gi for a while.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling, I do that sometimes :redface:
About 2 years ago I started getting back into gi mode and picked up a LuckyGi. Which I have to say is simply AWESOME! 2 years of 3x a week training and its held up great, besides a couple of loose green thread. The dojo Im at now is pretty strict and wants all students to wear plain blank gis. They can be pretty much any color, just as long as there isnt a patches all over the place. Which nixes my LuckyGi. So now Im in the market for a new gi. The gis i think ive narrowed it down to are; the Fuji Bjj Single Weave, the OTM Blank Gold Weave, the Hostile Hybrid Weave, and the Sirius Ultra Lite.

Prices & Pros are . . .
Fuji is $73 shipped add $9 if i want blue (cheapest, a BIG plus), Fuji's a quality company & been around for years. This gi was my original choice.

OTM Blank is $100 and i can just go, try it on & pick it up from their shop. OTM is a good shop & provide good customer service. They treated me very well when I picked up my LuckyGi. Im also thinking that since LuckyGis are OTM the Blanks should be of the same quality but w/o the embroidery??? Hoping this is the case but not sure.

Hostile is $100 shipped, and ive read good things about the gi on some gi review sites. Besides what Ive read, I dont know much more about them.

Sirius is $108 shipped, and ive read many many great things about them on here & other sites. But, being most expensive but not by much, but $35 more then my 1st choice, Im a little hesitant to purchase.

Im thinking that most will say go with Sirius. But with the Fuji being my 1st choice @ $73 shipped, Id be paying aprox 50% more then what I had in mind, before reading all of the gi threads. Im just wondering if you fellas would say that the other gis are 50% better than the Fuji? Thanks for any input you guys shoot my way.

both fuji and sirius are good gis

go with what u can afford

i love my hostile gi, it was probably one of my reviews you read about the gi that got you interested. it's one of those gis that surprised the hell out of me because i was expecting a piece of crap from them, given the price.

for $100, it's still a good gi, it's sturdy and very comfortable to roll in.

thanks for the input so far fellas. i was reading a thread about the Fuji gis and someone (i think it was bullzeye) was saying that the white one isnt as good as the blue. could someone confirm and explain why? i thought theyre the same, just different colors???

havent found anything about the OTM blanks, can anyone tell me if theyre the same as a lucky but without all the pieces of flare?

havent found anything about the OTM blanks, can anyone tell me if theyre the same as a lucky but without all the pieces of flare?

i heard fuji is cool, i like my gameness single...you would just have to take the patch on the front off..

btw off topic but you had a lucky gi for 2 years? how? i thought they just came out? or am i totally out of it..lol

Lucky GI's have been coming out for a while. They're only just not getting alot of exposure due to BJ wearing one in a video.

They constantly update them and release them in various colours with 'improvements'

~Foz

I have a blue Fuji and its great. I like it better than my Gameness Pearl.
I havent seen a white one to compare it too so I cant confirm Bullzeyes claims though.

Id Say Padilla @ Sons Or Hck For Sure

i recently ordered a blue danrho olympic nippon elite judogi.
its also nearly blank, just a little shoulderpatch and small embroidered logos on the sleeves.
but that damn thang was expensive like ass!!! (205

totally different gi.

~Foz

thanks foz, i actually went into the otm shop today and took a look at it. i was comparing it to the lucky gi and it IS totally different. i then compared it to the other gis that they had for sale and its almost, if not, identical to one of the gameness gis. im not sure if it was the pearl or the platinum. . . whichever is their gold weave. it also has a rubber lapel, pants are triple gusseted & are reinforced from the knee down. its light too, at least compared to my Lucky. all in all, it looks/feels like a quality gi. but i think i want something closer to the weight & feel of my lucky. i know the fuji wont be, but im hoping maybe the sirius or hostile will be...

i love my hostile gi, it was probably one of my reviews you read about the gi that got you interested. it's one of those gis that surprised the hell out of me because i was expecting a piece of crap from them, given the price.

for $100, it's still a good gi, it's sturdy and very comfortable to roll in.

beatdownvictim, i cant find any pics of hostile's hybrid weave anywhere. . . . could you post a pic of the weave for me? how much does the gi weigh? are the pants gusseted & do they have reinforced knee areas?

btw off topic but you had a lucky gi for 2 years? how? i thought they just came out? or am i totally out of it..lol

yea ive had my Lucky for close to 2 years, i picked mine up from their first batch. theyve made some design changes & i believe theyve even changed manufactures, since then.

i'm thinknig of getting the fuji gi and was wondering if it would be of worse quality?

i'm thinknig of getting the fuji gi and was wondering if it would be of worse quality?

man... why'd you have to do that

first pic = OTM blank gi
_MG_7358_small.jpg

2nd pic = koral weave........ similar to the atama carioca weave
_MG_7360small.jpg

3rd pic = hostile on left - otm blank gi on right
_MG_7361_small.jpg

4th pic = same as 3rd, but just cuz
_MG_7362small.jpg

5th pic = hostile on left/bottom - otm on right/top
as much as people would hate to hear it, the hostile has a nicer cut, and the weaves are a lot tighter. The reinforcement is also better on the hostile.

The pants, without a doubt are better on the hostile. The OTM pants are alright, more comfortable, but easier to grip. The hostile's pants are insane to grip.
_MG_7363small_reinforcement.jpg

The hostile is my favorite gi, if all my gis were clean (yeah right!) i'd grab the hostile

my pick is

1) hostile
2) koral
3) atama gold weave
4) otm

oh and i'm gonna piss on a lot of people's cheerios.

pakistan gi material is better than brazilian crap. i dont know why people jock the hell out of brazilian made gis. If you like lintballs on the back of your gi, then hell yeah brazilian made gis rock.

it's just a pet peeve of mine, but i like my gis clean, especially after i wash them.

thanks beatdown for posting the pics and giving me your opinion. im heavily leaning towards picking up a hostile gi. have you ever checked out the sirius ultra lite gold?

Back